Spyder Garage

Default Will F3 Limited Trunk USB Ports play music thru the sound system?

I have a 2019 F3 Limited and was told that you can play music thru the bikes sound system if you plug your device into the USB ports in the trunk/Rear Top Case.

Has anyone tried this, and does it work? I would try it on mine, but my bike is up on the rack in storage in my garage.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-14-2023 at 01:30 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    2022 RT Limited , Silver w/ Black and Purple accents

Spyder Garage

That will not work on a 2018 or 2019. the rear USB ports are for charging only.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

You have to use an android or iphone. Install BRP Connect and connect to the USB in the glovebox. Use one of their music apps or bluetooth the phone to the bike and listen that way. That's how mine is.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-14-2023 at 01:32 AM. Reason: there; Caps; & ' 's .... ;-)
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    That will not work on a 2018 or 2019. the rear USB ports are for charging only.

Cruzr Joe

Absolutely correct The customer accessory circuits under the rear seat power the trunks USB ports.
    2019 F3 Limited
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

I have 2 plugs in my glove box on my 18 F3L one is USB the other will plug into my headphone jack of my phone and allows me to play the music on my phone through sound system. Have to set settings on Aux.

Spyder Garage

There are a lot of confusing answers in this thread. I will try and clear it up.

The usb plug in the rear trunk is for charging only. Only powered when the engine is running.
    If you want to play music from your smartphone through your Spyders speakers. You do not need to plug it in at all. Just BT pair the phone to the Spyder. Your phone can be controlled from the left handlebar controls.
    You can also plug the 3.5 mm audio cable, located in the glove box, into your phone or any other audio device with a earphone jack. But you lose the ability to control it from the left handlebar controls.
    You can also BT pair and plug in the usb cable in the glove box into your smartphone. Then you can use some phone apps to display on your Spyders screen.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    There are a lot of confusing answers in this thread. I will try and clear it up.

The usb plug in the rear trunk is for charging only. Only powered when the engine is running.
    If you want to play music from your smartphone through your Spyders speakers. You do not need to plug it in at all. Just BT pair the phone to the Spyder. Your phone can be controlled from the left handlebar controls.
    You can also plug the 3.5 mm audio cable, located in the glove box, into your phone or any other audio device with a earphone jack. But you lose the ability to control it from the left handlebar controls.
    You can also BT pair and plug in the usb cable in the glove box into your smartphone. Then you can use some phone apps to display on your Spyders screen.
    What years does this apply to? In the '16 manual it states that only a nav device is mentioned and only the nav device can have audio (songs) play if the NAV device has music stored on it internally or the nav device is connected to a Bluetooth player. There is no way to connect a Bluetooth device directly to a '16 to play music. Android devices need not apply, only aPple devices can be controlled.

As a second question, does the '16 audio unit understand M3U playlists? I have attempted to get it to do a playlist so I can manipulate the songs on a USB flash drive but cannot get it to show playlists straight off a flash drive. I made another post about Apple devices...

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=1#post1491617 to see the iPod post...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-14-2023 at 01:34 AM. Reason: Exposed hidden URL's iaw Forum policy
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlebars View Post
    What years does this apply to? In the '16 manual it states that only a nav device is mentioned and only the nav device can have audio (songs) play if the NAV device has music stored on it internally or the nav device is connected to a Bluetooth player. There is no way to connect a Bluetooth device directly to a '16 to play music. Android devices need not apply, only aPple devices can be controlled.

As a second question, does the '16 audio unit understand M3U playlists? I have attempted to get it to do a playlist so I can manipulate the songs on a USB flash drive but cannot get it to show playlists straight off a flash drive. I made another post about Apple devices.....
    2018 and newer with BRP Connect. 2016 are not bluetooth. I think you can listen to music on a USB stick or iPod.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-14-2023 at 01:36 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display; Caps; ' 's... ;-)
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlebars View Post

As a second question, does the '16 audio unit understand M3U playlists? I have attempted to get it to do a playlist so I can manipulate the songs on a USB flash drive but cannot get it to show playlists straight off a flash drive. I made another post about Apple devices...

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=1#post1491617 to see the iPod post...
    You are correct a 2016 does not have native BT. But the OPs 2019 does. I am not totally familiar with the 2016 and 2017 audio systems. But on my 2013 STL the audio system was only compatible with apple iStuff as a music player. No USB sticks or android allowed. There are no USB ports. Playlists and albums all would show on the screen when you were stopped. Not while driving.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-14-2023 at 01:37 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

2018 F3 LIMITED

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for that info. I tried to use a stick USB with songs on it, but it only let me listen in the order it decided. Would not get a m3u interface that I could find. I;m invested in iTunes because I have taken many hours & written several scripts to use the iTunes API which allow me to Manipulate the playing order of songs such that I only hear songs that I've not heard in the last 2 months. Relieves the iPod tendency to play the same song over and over.

Still wondering if the Spyder (16-27) understand m3u playlists. Anyone??
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

I'm using an iPod nano Gen7 on my 2016 F3L. It's plugged into the USB socket in the glovebox and lives there. After pressing the mode button I can select individual tracks by pressing the left or right button briefly, or by holding the left or right buttons for a bit longer, can jump to the next playlist.
    Andrew
    Melbourne Australia
    2016 F3L Spyder

Now, wash your hands