Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    One must remember the accuracy in a Garmin GPS finding an "accurate" route is a function of the currency of the map loaded in the GPS. Since Garmin's maps are proprietary they rely a good bit on users reporting errors; the number of corrections in updates depends on the squeakiness of the wheels.
    Absolutely agree. All of our recent issues with our Garmins getting lost or confused, each had the most recent updates to the unit and the actual maps.

Regarding Garmins having proprietary maps, I learned years ago thatthis may not be the truth. An internet source called Open Street Maps as I understand it, is the database that Garmin obtains. Open Street Maps is a user type database. The database is free, and essentially covers the entire planet. Users of Open Street Maps create the database and constantly add updates.

Open street maps has routes for various modes of transportation. Driving, walking, cycling.

I am unsure where non Garmin navigation obtains its database.

As good as Garmin has been in the past, possibly the time has come that Garmin needs to utilize more cell based technology to assist true satellite navigation. As was mentioned, many modern cell phones have the ability to user select the source to navigate with. This could be WiFi based, Cell Tower based, Satellite based or a combination of what is best at the moment.

In this modern era, Garmin navigation should be simple, accurate, and adapt easily to a drivers desire to alter the route chosen by the device.

If our Garmin 660 could be converted to a Google Maps, or similar format when I deem it needs to, the Garmin hardware and mounting would complete a great setup. Having a Garmin with all updates that still gets confused or lost is never fun.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've been told by Garmin that in about a year their support for the Garmin app will stop. They have removed it from the app stores as many are doing the cheap route and using Waze or Google maps. TomTom is still available for smartphone along with a few other GPS apps that have downloaded maps. I like Sygic as you can create a route just like Google compared to TomTom where you have to input many waypoints.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Garmin uses map data from Navtec.

Navigation on a phone cannot be done by cell tower communication. Not accurate enough. But some phones have a technology that uses cell phone data to assist navigation. Only really helpful in cities where skyscrapers cut off the gps signal and there are multiple cell antennas to communicate with.

Update: Navtec was bought out by HERE. Same map provider to several other apps.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Garmin uses map data from Navtec.

Navigation on a phone cannot be done by cell tower communication. Not accurate enough. But some phones have a technology that uses cell phone data to assist navigation. Only really helpful in cities where skyscrapers cut off the gps signal and there are multiple cell antennas to communicate with.

Update: Navtec was bought out by HERE. Same map provider to several other apps.
    Unless things have changed in the past year or so, Sygic uses map data from TomTom. Now what the underlying cartographic and GIS data is that TomTom uses I have no idea.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Do you have to pay for the maps for that too

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dodgedad View Post
    Do you have to pay for the maps for that too
    If you are referring to Sygic, they offer a lifetime license for a one time fee. They charge by the country, i.e., US, Canada, Mexico, or some combination of them. They also have European maps. They issue free map updates three times a year and monthly updates for an annual subscription. Real time traffic alerts are one time charge. I don't know if the BRP Connect pricing program is the same or not.

Three years ago I ran into a situation a couple of times where the destination on the map was incorrect. I don't remember that being a problem these past two summers. The only thing that irritates me with it is that it doesn't let the user differentiate levels of paved highways, e.g. state two lane vs Interstate.

Check them out at www.sygic.com.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default GPS mount

4E1CFF15-69F3-44EA-8366-67A02405ACC5.jpeg0BD17380-6C0D-43F6-83D3-DD94F04F1635.jpegI added a Garmin zumo to my 2019 Rtl, found it easier than the app based application. Used the LaMonster gps mount LG-1086 and fished the wire through the spare switch slot.

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I’ve had my 2018 F3T for a couple of weeks now and report the following
    I like the New display but did not want to use the BRP Connect Apps
    I have connected my iphone6 via Bluetooth to the BRP Connect system, This allows me to play the music on my iphone6 the tracks are displayed on the Connect screen and I can control Forward & Reverse Songs using the Handlebar controls
    If I put the Radio function on my iphone6 the song playing on the Radio also displays on the Connect screen
    With all the audio being played via the onboard speakers

I did not like the inbuilt GPS and reports of its use has not always been positive, I decided to go with a stand-alone GPS system
    I purchased a Garmin Zumo 396 GPS unit which is fitted between the handlebars which makes it easier to see and control
    The GPS does not have an audio input or output as all its connections are via Bluetooth
    Therefore I can connect the GPS unit via Bluetooth to my Sena SMH10 headset
    The Zumo 396 allows me to again play Music & Radio from my iphone6 direct to my Sena headset via the GPS Bluetooth function
    There is also the Option of making and receiving Phone calls
    The Zumo 396 has Lifetime maps and updates for Maps and its Software can be done over Wi-Fi
    The GPS can also be removed from my Spyder for use in my car
    I know I can place my phone in the Glove box connected to Connect via USB and have the same functions but I prefer to have my iphone6 on me, so should I have an accident and was ejected from the F3T I may still be able to contact the Emergency Services
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Spyder Garage

I mounted the zumo 396 unit also with a Sena Bluetooth. Works good and easier to plan routes and waypoints.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Barender View Post
    I mounted the zumo 396 unit also with a Sena Bluetooth. Works good and easier to plan routes and waypoints.
    Its easier because you are familiar with it. Learn new tech and it will be just as easy. Creating a route in Sygic is as easy as doing it in Google Maps.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Garmin LM50 here, modified to provide audio out.
    TaoTronics bluetooth transmitter, paired with my Sena headset in the helmet.
    Charger City waterproof carrier for the Garmin and transmitter.
    Techmount center mount to hold it all in place on the handlebars.
    https://www.amazon.com/Techmount-4-8...00HKPY8L0?th=1
    https://www.amazon.com/ChargerCity-S.../dp/B00JAULSTI
    https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-TaoT...PRZ9AVQPABRW20
    https://www.m-p-c.com/GPS_Bluetooth_Audio.htmIMG_0664.jpg