Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Adding GPS to a 2019 RT Limited

What would I need to do to add a GPS to my Spyder? Also what type is everyone using? I would like to be able to tell what my speed really is and use to visit new places while riding.

Thank you,
    2019 RT Limited , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Hi Iwedwards,
    You can’t go wrong with a Garmin Zumo. They have at least 3 different models. I have a Zumo 660 and the wife has a Zumo 396, both are great with lifetime maps update..

Steve

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Have you considered the GPS programs like Sygic that you run through BRP Connect from your smartphone?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

You're going to get 2 different sets of answers here, those that use their phone to talk to the display, and folks that have mounted an old school stand alone GPS. I went with a Garmin 595. You have to get very specific parts to mount it, and if you're using the Tri-Axis adjustable handle bars it's a different mount base. I wrote up what I did, other folks give advice on how to use the BRP connect apps. I just like the stand alone GPS, but they call me old school.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Wanted so bad to use a GPS routed thru BRP Connect. Tried Rever and Sygic. Bought both. I tried to like them. Wound up catching a Zumo 595LM on sale. Mounted it to a Tricled multi-mount dash bracket with the parts that came with the GPS. Love it!
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the answers, I tried the BRP Connect with my phone iPhone XR and had no luck. Maybe I was doing something wrong. Just need to get a mount and a Stand alone GPS.
    2019 RT Limited , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Your phone will make a good gps. I looked up the specs and it is rated as IP67. So rain will not be a problem. So just mount it on the handlebars.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I just picked up a Tom Tom Rider 550 and I am going to mount it on to the dash with a dash mount from Lamonster. I also have a 2019 RTL.
    2019 RTL Asphalt Gray
    2019 RT Limited , Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The stand alone GPS has such a slower processor compared to the smartphones. It's way faster to use and much faster at route calculations. You can make a route in a stand alone GPS but it takes all day compared to how fast it can be done in Sygic or Genius Maps. If I were to use Garmin or TomTom I'd buy the app for my smartphone instead of a stand alone unit.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

I don't "NEED" gps for my normal riding, but I have an ols school GPS, I plug it in the 12V in the trunk, then run the wire under the seat to the area just toward the seat below the toggle switches. I attach it with the suction cup, and it works for what I need.... I would like to have something a little "cleaner" but the mounts are a little $$ for all the more I'd use it... I do plan on getting the mount got the handle bars, and a USB plug installed, but in due time....
    2018 RT , Blue

Spyder Garage

I like to have both. More than once I’ve found myself without a cell signal and the phone using best guess reckoning as to where I am
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
    I like to have both. More than once I’ve found myself without a cell signal and the phone using best guess reckoning as to where I am
    Sygic is a standalone app, i.e., it doesn't need cell connection to work. Cell is needed only for updates and real time info like construction activities and accident alerts. In fact I use Sygic with my WiFi only Samsung tablet. I'm not familiar with Genius but I would think it would be the same as Sygic in that respect.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

I agree with IdahoMtnSpyder. Your phone does not need a cell connection to work as a gps. In fact it may be more accurate and faster than a inexpensive stand alone GPS. Whether you need a cell connection or wifi, depends on the app you are using. For example, a free app like Google Waze must have a cell connection. Google maps is also free and can be used without cell connection, but you have to prepare and download maps ahead of time. In general standalone gps apps are not free.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Our recent experiences with Garmins has not been good. The Garmins we have, both automotive stand alone units and our 660 on the Spyder have gone wrong far to many times recently. The units are updated but for whatever reason, the Garmins decide on a crazy and often wrong route. Most recently or automotive Garmin insisted we make a left turn to our destination. Sadly, there was no road, simply a heavily wooded area. The phone was immediately consulted via Google Maps. Within a minute we were on the correct route to our destination.

Garmins have served us very well in the past. However over the last 18 months they have become unreliable in finding an accurate route.

I have yet to use the phone for navigation on the Spyder, but suspect it will be happening sooner than later.

Spyder Garage

One must remember the accuracy in a Garmin GPS finding an "accurate" route is a function of the currency of the map loaded in the GPS. Since Garmin's maps are proprietary they rely a good bit on users reporting errors; the number of corrections in updates depends on the squeakiness of the wheels.
    Last edited by JayBros; 01-06-2020 at 04:02 PM. Reason: punctuation
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I downloaded Genius Maps for my 18 RTL and really REALLY tried to like it... I find it impossible to read given how small the display area is and how far the dash is from my face, and since I like to see what is coming up (especially in the twisties) relying on voice commands isn't satisfactory. Installing a Garmin 390LM on the centre of my handlebars as soon as I have a chance.

You can't get there from here....

Mods and Tweaks:
    Showcrome Trunk Rack
    Showcrome LED Trunk Light
    Garmin 390LM
    Spyderzone Floating Hiway Boards
    Spyderzone Mount Dash Bracket
    BajaRon Antisway Bar
    Showcrome full-size brake pedal
    Spyder-2-Go Driver Cup holder
    Ram X phone mount
    SpyderExtras 12 volt Docking Station
    BRP Driver Backrest
    Monster 4K Action Camera
    Spyderzone LED Fender Mount Spotlights
    CASA LED Headlights and Foglights
    2018 RT Limited , Ashphalt Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    I agree with IdahoMtnSpyder. Your phone does not need a cell connection to work as a gps. In fact it may be more accurate and faster than a inexpensive stand alone GPS. Whether you need a cell connection or wifi, depends on the app you are using. For example, a free app like Google Waze must have a cell connection. Google maps is also free and can be used without cell connection, but you have to prepare and download maps ahead of time. In general standalone gps apps are not free.
    I'm a stand alone Garmin guy, but agree on their latest routing being somewhat substandard. Always willing to learn though, so help me out a bit. So my smart phone has a GPS receiver in it and will get direction without cell service. Cool. With the phone connections in the front and rear trunks you will have to make some kind of power plug modifications so the phone has a line of sight on the sky, right? You'll at very minimum have to get the phone mounted on the dash or bars for the phone GPS receiver to work I would think.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

I too tried to like the BRP Connect, but found that the bluetooth connection from my phone works very well through my helmet as well as music. Whether listening to music or directions. I did mount a power outlet on the dash for my phone. It worked perfectly on our trip to north carolina and niagara last year. Chris

2021 RT Limited
    2021 Spyder RT Liminted , Marsala Red in Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    I'm a stand alone Garmin guy, but agree on their latest routing being somewhat substandard. Always willing to learn though, so help me out a bit. So my smart phone has a GPS receiver in it and will get direction without cell service. Cool. With the phone connections in the front and rear trunks you will have to make some kind of power plug modifications so the phone has a line of sight on the sky, right? You'll at very minimum have to get the phone mounted on the dash or bars for the phone GPS receiver to work I would think.
    For many folks who do use their phone with brp connect, on a RT. It's in the front trunk, on the back wall. That's near the engine, metal frame and a lot of wiring. Never heard of anyone complaining of bad gps reception. For me on my F3L. The connections are in the glove box, aka pizza oven. When I put it in there. The gps worked just fine. Except when the phone goes into overheat mode. I no longer use BRP Connect to display on my Spyders screen. So I have mounted the phone on my handlebars. I have a usb power plug on my handlebars if I need it to keep the phone charged. Never had a problem with the gps function. If I wanted to use BRP Connect and I have. I just run a usb cable from the glove box to the phone on the handlebars. I am not going to cook another phone.

For years I used a Garmin Nuvi 255W and 265W in my vehicles and my Spyder. They would not work in my garage or house unless I was in front of a window. My last and current phone gps work just fine inside the house and garage. Your experience may vary.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    So my smart phone has a GPS receiver in it and will get direction without cell service. Cool. With the phone connections in the front and rear trunks you will have to make some kind of power plug modifications so the phone has a line of sight on the sky, right? You'll at very minimum have to get the phone mounted on the dash or bars for the phone GPS receiver to work I would think.
    Smartphones for the past few years have included a very good GPS receiver. At least Samsung has. You can keep it in the glove box, trunk, frunk, coat pocket, or most anywhere and it will pick up the satellite signals very well. I've had my tablet in the trunk during rain storms and listened to the voice instructions. Since I don't have the new cluster I use a Bluetooth receiver to feed the tablet audio via BT into the GPS input of the radio.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

I no longer use BRP Connect to display on my Spyders screen. So I have mounted the phone on my handlebars. I have a usb power plug on my handlebars if I need it to keep the phone charged. Never had a problem with the gps function. If I wanted to use BRP Connect and I have. I just run a usb cable from the glove box to the phone on the handlebars.
    Will BRP connect work with a WiFi only tablet? I use a Samsung Tab A 8.0. The 8 inch screen makes it easy to see the GPS route! I'd move up to a 10 inch but there just isn't enough space between the dash, cluster, and handlebar for one.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Will BRP connect work with a WiFi only tablet? I use a Samsung Tab A 8.0. The 8 inch screen makes it easy to see the GPS route! I'd move up to a 10 inch but there just isn't enough space between the dash, cluster, and handlebar for one.
    It should if the tablet functions now with a GPS program. It would have to be a program that BRP Connect will work with like Sygic. I have managed to connect my iPad Mini 4 but its not useful for GPS functions.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    The BRP Connect app is not available for a tablet. Not a compatable device. But that may not be what your asking because you want to use the tablet screen. Not sure if a tablet will BT pair with the Spyder dash. The spyder will want to pair in 2 modes. Handsfree profile HFP and advance audio distribution profile A2DP. Your tablet does not have HFP since its not a phone. Never tried it so not sure.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

The BRP Connect app is not available for a tablet. Not a compatable device. But that may not be what your asking because you want to use the tablet screen. Not sure if a tablet will BT pair with the Spyder dash. The spyder will want to pair in 2 modes. Handsfree profile HFP and advance audio distribution profile A2DP. Your tablet does not have HFP since its not a phone. Never tried it so not sure.
    Thanks. I was just curious. It doesn't surprise me since there would be no real advantage of using a tablet over a phone, other than cost, since the screen image is transferred to the cluster screen. IMO, for visibility of GPS screens, a tablet is the best!

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Using something on a regular basis gets easier. Using the cluster screen and learning what it shows only gets better every time I get on the bike. I like Sygic as its easier and I can have the info I like showing along with the map. My phone is on top of the dash because it's easier to get at rather than putting it in the frunk. The GPS antenna in smartphones works almost anywhere so inside the frunk isn't a problem. If the phone's battery is less than half down it will get hot as its charging as well as working. So try and keep the battery more than half when traveling. Carry a iPad Mini for long usage?
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red