Spyder Garage

Default USB lesson learned

I want to pass this on so no one else makes the same mistake.
    I have a 2019 Spyder RT Ltd. Two weeks ago, when my dealer was installing some electronics for me, I had him also install a usb connector in one of the 5 switch positions under the handlebars.
    Prior to installation the mechanic said it was a pain in the ass to install it in the center position, trying to establish a good relationship with the mechanic I said it would be ok to put it in the far left slot. He finished installation of all equipment, price was as agreed and I left happy.
    I plugged in the cord to the usb and connected it to my phone, and headed back home
    I soon discovered that when turning the handlebars hard to the left it made contact with the usb plug that goes into the usb receptacle. It literally bent the plug.
    I immediately called the dealership and they made an appointment to correct it. They said they were unaware of the problem, but would fix it for me.

When I returned to have the receptacle moved to the center position they asked to see what the problem was. I showed them and they seemed shocked. They told me the would fix it and apologized to me and said no one had ever complained before.

Then someone sitting waiting on his spyder to be serviced said he had the same problem. They asked him if he ever reported it and he said no. I asked him when it was installed and he said two years ago. (That pissed me off. If he would have said something I am positive the mechanic would never have installed mine in that slot)

Anyway the dealership was great, the squared it away and I left very happy. The mechanic and dealership thanked me for bringing it to their attention.

Lesson learned and I wanted to pass it on so no one else has to go through it.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default USB Ports

Thanks for your TIP.....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I got a 90 degree USB adapter. Works great.

IMG_0841.jpeg IMG_0842.jpeg
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you put in 90 degree USB in the search engine in E bay there are several types available I suspect they are also available on Amazon
    See:-
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F232725686735
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Spyder Garage

I had purchased a 90 degree adapter and it worked on the plug in to the usb, however, I have an otter box case on my iPhone and the 90 degree on the lightning connector would not allow it to plug in with the case on. Wanted a permanent solution and not a work around.
    I was lucky that my dealer is one of the good ones and felt that the conversation that influenced me to pick a location was partly their fault. I am happy with the solution. If they had not been so cordial in correcting the issue I would have bought a new phone case and used the 90 degree.
    Being new to the Spyder, I just did not think that a dealer would install it in an unusable location.. As it turned out, they did not know because no one told them.