Spyder Garage

Default 2012 RS-S on Oahu

Just got a new-to-me RS-S and am trying to duplicate the lone key which came with it. Can anyone in Hawaii clone the chip in addition to cutting the key? I have both a blank and original key.

Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Wow another Spyder in Hawai'i. Welcome to the group. Someone will chime in with an answer for you soon.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PhilY View Post
    Just got a new-to-me GS-S and am trying to duplicate the lone key which came with it. Can anyone in Hawaii clone the chip in addition to cutting the key? I have both a blank and original key.

Thanks!
    Did you mean RSS? The GS term was used only in 2008. In 09, for whatever reason, it was changed to RS.

and Not a lot of Spyders on the islands, so you may have a hunt for the key cloning and cutting.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

ARtraveler, Right you are! So new I didn't even know what I have!! Yes, very few in the isles, no dealer here and still haven't found anyone who can clone the key. May have to track down a dealer on the mainland who's willing to do it by mail.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Not sure but I think you have to have the key in the bike when they program it with the BUDs system, its the bike they program to accept the key. Last I knew there was only one person in Hawaii that works on Spyders. You might want to try a search here on SL I remember a discussion about a person in the Army that found that guy that would work on Spyders and I think they use to rent Spyders at one time two so he may have a BUDs system.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Just got a new-to-me RS-S and am trying to duplicate the lone key which came with it. Can anyone in Hawaii clone the chip in addition to cutting the key? I have both a blank and original key.

Thanks!
    ARtraveler, Right you are! So new I didn't even know what I have!! Yes, very few in the isles, no dealer here and still haven't found anyone who can clone the key. May have to track down a dealer on the mainland who's willing to do it by mail.
    So, if I understand you correctly, you have the original key for your Spyder, and a blank, chipped key that just needs to be cut and cloned. The blank key would have to be compatible and be something like this key:

https://mysecuritypro.com/ZD23RT5.aspx

Scroll to the bottom of that page for information on how to clone it.

This site is full of threads where folks have gotten their keys cloned at an Ace Hardware store or Lowes. You don't have them in Hawaii? Tell the locksmith it is a standard T5 chip. I don't know what that means, but that's the information from here and apparently a locksmith will understand. Remember, cloning a key is different than reprogramming keys. Cloning doesn't need a dealer or BUDS, and works for the 998 Spyders with the old system - which is what you have. The locksmith just needs to have those standard cloning tools. Google flagged me these two places that are somewhere in Oahu:

https://www.salzlock.com/automotive

http://www.keyguyhawaii.com/services.html

And truthfully, the last thing I would do is place the only key I had into the mail or UPS and ship it off anywhere. Keep looking. Good luck.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Dear Snowbelt Spyder,

You are correct. I have a blank that I got on eBay before I determined how difficult it would be to get it duplicated here in HI. I called both the listings above and was told they couldn't do it. Ditto with Ace and Lowe's. Price of paradise, I guess! Other locksmiths have told me they could "try" but with no guarantees. If I shipped it off, I'd send it registered mail and pay to have it sent back the same way. Appreciate your help.

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Dear Snowbelt Spyder,

You are correct. I have a blank that I got on eBay before I determined how difficult it would be to get it duplicated here in HI. I called both the listings above and was told they couldn't do it. Ditto with Ace and Lowe's. Price of paradise, I guess! Other locksmiths have told me they could "try" but with no guarantees. If I shipped it off, I'd send it registered mail and pay to have it sent back the same way. Appreciate your help.
    Hey Phil. I just added a bit more information to my post above. Just to make sure you've seen it. Although, I don't know if it helps your situation. A Spyder dealer cannot clone your key and needs your Spyder in order to reprogram keys. I'm pretty amazed you can't find a locksmith that can clone that key. Good luck.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

The Island that the Spyder "mechanic" lives on is Oahu.

We have been to the Islands three times. I was able to rent a Spyder when on Maui when they were available in 2013. We rode the Hana Highway one day on a RS manual. Maui Scooters no longer rents them, that I am aware of.

The rental was well used. Had not much more than oil change/filters done to it.

A link to our adventures: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...p?albumid=3179

The second half of the album shows the Maui trip. Clicking on any picture expands them to full screen size...then click on the arrows to advance the picture to the next one.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-05-2020 at 11:37 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Suggest you contact Mary Monteverde at Hawaiispyder.com. She rents Spyders, she has to have a mechanic or else knows how to work on them herself.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

All, I got my key duplicated and both of them back safely via registered mail one way and two separate priority mailings back (if that makes sense). Bill Taylor (www. keys4urride.com) provided outstanding, one-day turn-around service (even though the registered mail took almost two weeks from HI>NC!). All's well that ends well! Thanks for all the helpful comments.