Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Wrong Spyder model associated with VIN number

Wondering if anyone else has seen this.

in changing insurance companies recently, I noted our 2014 RTL SE6 1330CC machine was shown as a RTL SM5 998CC. The VIN number is OK. In looking back at my prior policy I noticed it was the same error and the VIN is OK. Alright, my bad for the past.

I called my agent/broker for help in getting this corrected for this new policy as I didn't want any issues in the future if something should happen, and this is where the element of surprise comes in.

He explained The database that all agencies use for qualifying ANY vehicle is based on the manufactures' input into a master database "somewhere". The only people who can change it is the company that submitted the original data. He ran the VIN as we spoke and sure enough it shows the "wrong" info !

Sometimes keeping what looks like useless information about your vehicles and factory contacts pays off. In the early days of ownership, for some reason, I had asked BRP to send me info on the actual build of this Spyder. I have that info on their transmittal and sure enough it shows correctly what is on the unit. My agent and I are now "hoping" this will satisfy the underwriters and a policy with correct model info will be forthcoming.

Makes me wonder if any other owners have the same type issue and don't know it.
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

Little bit of a story here, but it does (eventually) get relevant!!

Waaaay back when I first tried to buy an RT Spyder, the (then, since gone down the tube) local dealer ordered me the RT I wanted, and quite a few months later, it arrived..... They did nothing for a week or so, then called me to say 'come on down at 2pm to collect it, bring money!'.... So down I went, over an hour's drive to get there, expecting to be on the road home maybe an hour later.... Only when I got there at the specified time, they hadn't even opened the crate!! So I got to watch the crate unwrapping, albeit with a growing sense of frustration and dismay!! And maybe juuust a little anger!

I'd ordered an RT Ltd with a bunch of options/accessories, fully aware it'd take a while to get there; but there I was, after waiting almost twice as many months as originally warned, at about 3pm on Christmas Eve, watching 'my' new Spyder get unwrapped, and the ONLY bloody thing that bore any relation to what I ordered was the colour!! Yet all the details that showed up by checking the VIN on the 'bike, the crate, the delivery docs, EVERYTHING said it should be MY Pearl White RT Ltd SE5.... but it was clearly a base level RSS SM5, altho in BRP's defence, it was Pearl White!! (Musta been fun getting THAT down the production line! )

I won't go any further into the ongoing saga that became my RT Ltd purchase, except to say that a few weeks later I ended up travelling over 14 hours into another State to get the RT that I wanted from another Dealer, AND for a substantially better price too!

But from that experience, it was clear to me that BRP had a lot of flaws in their vehicle identification & production processes! How'n the heck does a machine make it all the way down the production line with absolutely EVERYTHING on the VIN bar the colour wrong?! That is either a deliberate act or a major procedural flaw at the most fundamental level of the organisation! In either case, I have no doubt at all that there are other Spyders out there with the incorrect details on their VIN - in fact, unless it's already been found & corrected, there's almost certainly an optioned up Pearl White RT Ltd SE5 out there that has a VIN showing it's meant to be an RSS SM5...... Altho on second thoughts, it's probably coloured in one of those 'special RSS only' colour combo's.... probly got the stripes & decals, too!

So tenino, I wouldn't be 'wondering' that if I were you.... it's almost certainly the case!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-02-2020 at 06:08 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

It's business as usual at BRP.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Weird, it's similar here too. We give the insurance company all the details, they accept them but when the insurance documents arrive the engine size is always 998. We phone them, they say, "That's strange but don't worry because we know that 2017 Spyders are 1330." They record everything so, hopefully, there will never be an issue... hopefully there will never be a claim either!
    Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
    Rule#1: Refer to rule #2.

Spyder Garage

Teninospyder, the VIN sticker on the left side of your Spyder's swing arm should have the manufacture date, MM/YYYY, on the top line in the right corner of the sticker. Your OP piqued my curiosity and I looked to verify that the mfg date on mine is 03/2014 and on the BRP safety recall lookup box results it shows mine listed as an RT S 1330 ACE SE6 C 14. If yours was manufactured earlier than 03/2014 it could be because in the history of the RTs the ACE engine was originally scheduled to be introduced in MY '13 but it was not quite ready and that's why the '13 RTs have the V-twin SE5 engine. If the mfg date of your Spyder is later than 03/14 I guess one has to chalk it up to horrible BRP manufacturing records.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I ran into the same issues getting my new F3L insured. Input of the VIN stated another description of F3. They said they could not change it. So....I ran with what came up. Upside, I will pay less personal property tax because it is not showing a limited model. Shhhhhhhhhh

EDIT: Update

I have a 2019 F3L SE6. Based on the correct VIN # that was input: The insurance company says I have an F3 T SM6
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-03-2020 at 04:07 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My GEICO policy only shows 2014 Can Am Spyder RT and the VIN. Nothing about the motor or trim level.

Tenino, just for the fun of it go here and put in your VIN. https://vincheck.info/check/vin-check.php. My VIN brings up accurate info except the trim level is listed as Limited, not RTS. Be interesting to see what they show for you. Maybe the insurance guy is jivin' you.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've noticed that with RVs I've owned
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    My GEICO policy only shows 2014 Can Am Spyder RT and the VIN. Nothing about the motor or trim level.

Tenino, just for the fun of it go here and put in your VIN. https://vincheck.info/check/vin-check.php. My VIN brings up accurate info except the trim level is listed as Limited, not RTS. Be interesting to see what they show for you. Maybe the insurance guy is jivin' you.
    My Allstate policy just lists mine as a '14 RT-s, nothing about engine. VIN check lists it as an RT Limited, not an S but has correct engine and trans.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

my sister has an insurance agency......the databases of insurance companies are not to the level of actual info of the spyder's. its only close enough to be able to get a price to pay for the term of insurance!!!!!
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Mine as well.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Teninospyder, the VIN sticker on the left side of your Spyder's swing arm should have the manufacture date, MM/YYYY, on the top line in the right corner of the sticker. Your OP piqued my curiosity and I looked to verify that the mfg date on mine is 03/2014 and on the BRP safety recall lookup box results it shows mine listed as an RT S 1330 ACE SE6 C 14. If yours was manufactured earlier than 03/2014 it could be because in the history of the RTs the ACE engine was originally scheduled to be introduced in MY '13 but it was not quite ready and that's why the '13 RTs have the V-twin SE5 engine. If the mfg date of your Spyder is later than 03/14 I guess one has to chalk it up to horrible BRP manufacturing records.
    Your last suggestion is correct...….I have a BIG chalk stick for them. The build date on the sticker is 05/2014 !
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

JayBros,

Thanks for the site. THAT Site does show the correct info for mine. Too bad the site isn't the one my broker or insurance company uses
    hit or miss huh??
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

Thanks to Idaho MS, the web site provided showed the correct information for my F3. Looks like State Farm has the wrong program.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

My situation is the same as ARtraveler: I own a 2017 F3Ltd, but my insurer insists on calling it an F3T. When I challenged the policy info with my insurer, I was told the same: "the registration program, based on info supplied by BRP, says your Spyder is an F3T", and they "could not/would not change the model designation in the policy unless/until BRP amended the input data". Obviously, BRP input info is in error, and equally obviously, it's not just one or two instances. However, since my insurance application was based upon a copy of my actual Spyder purchase contract, as supplied to the insurer, and as the purchase amount I paid for my F3L is stipulated in the policy, I'm not too worried about any loss being fully covered. I have done what I could to alert the company; they are "on notice". If they don't wish to amend the record, they can "wear it", and I'll damn well fight if I have to. I bought an F3L; I'm paying the premium charged to insure that higher value, whatever the damn insurer or BRP thinks. And, if it ever went to Court, I believe any sensible judge would be on my side. But, it does make one wonder about "quality control" and "customer service" at BRP.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

I just checked mine on that link and found it to be the as the one listed in quote. Link shows my RTS as an RT Limited.

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post

2014 , yes Pearl White

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    But, it does make one wonder about "quality control" and "customer service" at BRP.
    I've maintained for several years now that one weak point in the BRP Quality Assurance program is documentation. There is a sometimes an appalling discrepancy between various portions within and between service manuals of the same and different years and between service and user manuals. They also don't always conform to usual nomenclature for parts.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    my sister has an insurance agency......the databases of insurance companies are not to the level of actual info of the spyder's. its only close enough to be able to get a price to pay for the term of insurance!!!!!
    So...….if your insurance company policy states your item (car, MC, whatever) as a vehicle that costs much less to buy or fix, and your Spyder is totaled, how much will they settle for on the payout value of YOUR spyder ?
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by teninospyder View Post
    So...….if your insurance company policy states your item (car, MC, whatever) as a vehicle that costs much less to buy or fix, and your Spyder is totaled, how much will they settle for on the payout value of YOUR spyder ?
    I can't answer that exactly...…..but they might have exact info on the model OR just close cause of there inferior database. would be up to you to show title, pics, etc, and argue over what model you have.
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by teninospyder View Post
    tenino, I bought replacement cost (no depreciation) insurance, which protects me as regards original cost value for two years; so I didn't get overly concerned about a potential total loss of whatever model they 'think' my Spyder is. The payout for a 'write-off' claim within the first 24 months is likely to be exactly what I paid (based on original bill of sale), plus any improvements (substantiated by proven receipts). After that, depreciation will be what it is .... and that would likely be a negotiated figure... to be settled upon, using market re-sale values related to equipment features of the actual bike involved. Or, so I believe.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

Bushrat, when you purchased your replacement cost policy do you remember what the difference in annual premium was over a standard policy? When I bought my Spyder I just kept my fingers crossed but I remember when I bought my wife a new cage in 2016 the stealership finance guy tried to peddle something like that and I told him to pound sand.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I just put my vin number into that link and it says "2011 Polaris ATV" - - I have a 2019 RT Limited??
    But - as I scroll down the page to the market value and ownership costs sections - it is describing a 2019 RTL

I had contacted BRP (email) a couple of weeks ago concerning my warranty. I had read on this forum that most were not getting paperwork or a warranty card - so I sent them my vin # and asked if it had been registered and my warranty was in effect. They got back to me within 24 hours and said YES it had been registered and warranty was in effect. They also said warranty paperwork should come from the dealership that I bought it from.
    2019 RTL Asphalt Gray
    2019 RT Limited , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Bushrat, when you purchased your replacement cost policy do you remember what the difference in annual premium was over a standard policy? When I bought my Spyder I just kept my fingers crossed but I remember when I bought my wife a new cage in 2016 the stealership finance guy tried to peddle something like that and I told him to pound sand.
    JayBros, don't have my policy in front of me to tell you exactly, but my recollection is that the replacement cost (no depreciation) endorsement was an extra $45 or $50 per annum. It came in handy last August. My auto insurance covers two vehicles: Spyder, and (as it then was), a 2018 RAM 1500 pick-up. I (and wife) went off highway, into a ditch and back up onto shoulder, due to blown front tire. Little visible damage to truck body (slightly wrinkled right front fender), but front axle was snapped and we pretty much tore up things underneath - bent frame, various damage to steering, radiator, AC tubing, etc. Physically, we were only mildly shaken, and fortunately walked away. It was like riding the "Wild Mouse" on a carnival midway. However, my nice, $46,000 CAN, 10-month old truck with barely 14,000 miles on it needed $28,000 in estimated repairs. The insurer quickly wrote it off, didn't even think about repairing, and simply stroked me a check for full purchase price. No hassles about depreciated value. Even added on the value of the bed tonneau cover I bought after original purchase. So, it was a worthwhile added premium cost, I believe, in the case of a relatively expensive (for me) new vehicle. The 'no depreciation' endorsement provided for giving me lesser of: my actual purchase price, or finding me a current (2019) vehicle with comparable equipment. It was both cheaper and faster for them to simply write me a check. I bought and paid for a new car within two weeks of the accident. Miss the truck, but it was a clean, quick 'good bye' and funeral.

PS: Had some very helpful, interesting discussion about tire quality and ratings with Mike (BlueKnight911) following the accident. We had been on slightly damp (not really wet) pavement, and I suspected my OEM tires had poor wet weather performance. That much was true!! The truck was 'fish-tailing' slightly just before we went off road. Then, something quick and sharp happened just instantly before we did. On closer inspection back at collision shop, two serious punctures were discovered on inside right front tire wall, just above road surface. We'll never know for certain whether the damage to tire happened while on pavement (tire tracks leaving road seem to indicate this), or down in ditch at point of impact which snapped front axle. Most of damage to underside of truck came from sliding 140' downhill on wet grass along the ditch. We mowed down a bunch of weeds and a couple of small bushes; missed a telephone pole by 7'. All over in a matter of seconds.
    truckdamage1.jpg20190821_154932.jpg20190821_155014.jpg
    [SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

Wow! Lots of bacon saved. Best thing no injuries. Thanks for the blow-by-blow explanation.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Wow! Lots of bacon saved. Best thing no injuries. Thanks for the blow-by-blow explanation.
    You're welcome, JayBros. I would guess that the 'no depreciation' feature probably saved me from losing $12,000 - $15,000 of insurance coverage payback. Not a bad return for $50 additional premium cost. Wasn't planned that way, but net result is that I drove my vehicle for almost a year at no capital cost, and really only paid for gas,oil and maintenance. Albeit, I had to risk two lives and wreck a truck to do it. That part wasn't fun, and I still shake my head in wonder. Could have been much worse!!!
    [SIGPIC]