Spyder Garage

Default Independent Shop or Dealer For Service Work

I know many of us here do our own maintenance, service and modifications.

Not everyone has that ability.

The oem dealers, many take a beating, sometimes warranted other times not warranted regarding service work.

Independent shops for Spyders are less common. Some get good praise.

So what does the Spyder world need? More quality independents, or better oem dealers regarding service work.

Typically though, we know dealerships can ruin anything good.

So what do you folks think.

Adding an edit, I am not looking for or needing a shop to go to. Just making conversation.

Spyder Garage

I’m lucky the independent shop that I go to has a former CanAm mechanic who knows what he’s doing.
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I used an independent for my first services on the bikes after our move from Alaska. Lamonster Garage is a good place, IMO. Going back for some accessories on the new one, and service on the new and 2014 in a month or two. A 70 mile drive (one way) for me...and closest that I know of so far.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-06-2020 at 12:17 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

If I needed something done I couldn't or wouldn't want to do I would have to go to a dealer as there are no independent shops that I know of in Utah that would know how to work on a Spyder, at least not any who are closer then a dealer.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    ..... More quality independents, AND better oem dealers regarding service work......
    Fixed that sentence for you, PMK!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

PMK "So what does the Spyder world need? More quality independents, or better oem dealers regarding service work? ". In my opinion the answer to your question is Both. Right now, other then self preservation there is no competition for the service dollar. Now you would think that self preservation would be incentive enough but apparently not. So maybe more choices would drive and up swing service quality. Also service options could drive up sales,and more sales leads to more service work, which leads to more potential profit to the dealership willing to persue that profit point. And the more people you have in your store for one reason, the more potential sales you have.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I would love to find an independent shop. There is a shop close but when I asked them to do an oil change their comment was we don't work on Spyders!!!If any one knows a good independent shop in NW Fort Worth TX let me know.
    2021 900 Ace , Black & Gold

Spyder Garage

I'm soo glad that the dealer in Tulsa is so great and they are soo friendly. So far, except for changing out the rear tire for me I've done all the work on my Spyder myself. I wouldn't go into the engine but I enjoy working on it and adding farkles.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Being near Madison, WI their are several Spyder dealers that have competent service techs. One dealership is very Spyder oriented, the other two not as much. Buying late in the season, I had to drive a distance to purchase my Spyder, as no local dealer had what I wanted in stock. Two dealerships will install aftermarket parts, one won't. That dealership is Can-Am accessories only. As far as warranty work goes, haven't needed to explore that (as of yet knock knock). No indy shops in the area for Spyders that I know of. Maybe a southern WI Spyder owner will chime in with other info..

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Being near Madison, WI their are several Spyder dealers that have competent service techs. One dealership is very Spyder oriented, the other two not as much. Buying late in the season, I had to drive a distance to purchase my Spyder, as no local dealer had what I wanted in stock. Two dealerships will install aftermarket parts, one won't. That dealership is Can-Am accessories only. As far as warranty work goes, haven't needed to explore that (as of yet knock knock). No indy shops in the area for Spyders that I know of. Maybe a southern WI Spyder owner will chime in with other info..
    Interesting, with no independent shops locally, but a few quality oem dealers your choices are limited but so far so good?

If an independent repair shop existed, would you consider them over an oem dealer? If so, what criteria would they need to win your business?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Revalden View Post
    I'm soo glad that the dealer in Tulsa is so great and they are soo friendly. So far, except for changing out the rear tire for me I've done all the work on my Spyder myself. I wouldn't go into the engine but I enjoy working on it and adding farkles.

Same question I asked Troop. If an independent dealer existed in your area, would you use them? What criteria would they need for you to use them vs an oem dealer?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    PMK "So what does the Spyder world need? More quality independents, or better oem dealers regarding service work? ". In my opinion the answer to your question is Both. Right now, other then self preservation there is no competition for the service dollar. Now you would think that self preservation would be incentive enough but apparently not. So maybe more choices would drive and up swing service quality. Also service options could drive up sales,and more sales leads to more service work, which leads to more potential profit to the dealership willing to persue that profit point. And the more people you have in your store for one reason, the more potential sales you have.
    If most dealerships gave two cents about Spyders after the sale of the unit, we as customers know the benefits could be good. At the current time, I doubt dealers want to consider the added space needed, possible training and find quality techs that truly want to work on Spyders.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    I used an independent for my first services on the bikes after our move from Alaska. Lamonster Garage is a good place, IMO. Going back for some accessories on the new one, and service on the new and 2014 in a month or two. A 70 mile drive (one way) for me...and closest that I know of so far.
    You are lucky. I wish I was close to Lamonster, so I could have him service my bike. The issue with some dealerships is that the techs don't know or understand the bike. At least with Lamont, I know he knows his stuff and feel like he would alert me if there is an issue that I should have covered by warranty. And the warranty thing is the only reason that I do go to a local dealership. But when the warranty is gone, so will my dealings with the dealership. There is a local shop that has a former can am tech working for them. I trust his skills, but am not sure if the shop will stand behind me on a warranty issue.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

There are a few things that make working on a Spyder difficult for an independent shop.
    1. Spyders are relatively new to the motorcycle industry.
    2. BPR will not share information with shops if they are not a BRP dealer.
    3. BRP does not allow individuals to go to their schools.
    4. The computer integration and complexity are far beyond the average wrencher.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Interesting, with no independent shops locally, but a few quality oem dealers your choices are limited but so far so good?

If an independent repair shop existed, would you consider them over an oem dealer? If so, what criteria would they need to win your business?
    I would certainly consider them for anything non warranty related.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    There are a few things that make working on a Spyder difficult for an independent shop.
    1. Spyders are relatively new to the motorcycle industry.
    2. BPR will not share information with shops if they are not a BRP dealer.
    3. BRP does not allow individuals to go to their schools.
    4. The computer integration and complexity are far beyond the average wrencher.
    Everything you mentioned except access to info and schools are why BRP dealers are less than stellar many times.

Spyder Garage

we have two Spyder dealers in our Metro area and both lack on some major issues.. It is called CUSTOMER SERVICE, RESPONSIVENESS AND COMPETITIVENESS!!! One has zero Spyder accessories.. they just plain don't get it???"

Most Spyder owners in the area drive 45 miles to a very responsible dealer - both in sales and service.. I personally have bought my last two Spyders at this dealer and literally saved thousands of dollars on net trade costs?? go figure. the real problem lies with BRP on who they award their dealerships to..
    BIG F