Spyder Garage

Default Tool kit location???

I have a 2019 Spyder RT Limited. I read that the tool kit should be under the seat.
    I found mine in the rear trunk. Where do you locate it under the seat?
    I have a comfort seat on my bike and when I installed it I did not see any location for the tool kit
    I. My rear trunk, it had Velcro holding to to the bottom of the cargo area.
    I would prefer it under the seat, just not sure where it’s supposed to go

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It used to be strapped to under the seat

PIA IMO to get to and reinstall.

Spyder Garage

It was fitted into a recess in the underside of the seat on the older bikes but there is no longer a recess in the 1330RT seat. However, if you fold it up neatly it will nestle nicely at the side of the brake fluid reservoir under the seat.
    Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
    Rule#1: Refer to rule #2.

Spyder Garage

Thanks.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It's velcro strapped to the underside of my supposed Comfort seat on my 2014 RTS directly above the brake fluid reservoir. I say supposed because the part # on the label comes up with zero hits on Google! The OEM seat also has the recess and velcro straps. That part # checks out! That means PinkRosePetal's blanket comment about not being available on 1330's is incorrect. So if the recess no longer exists then the question would be when was the recess removed? The parts diagram for 2017 RT and 2019 RT shows a recess in the seat pan, but who knows if that's accurate?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I just put my tool kit in the bottom of the frunk or top trunk. When I want it, I want it NOW. I have never liked the underseat position. My F3 had it under the seat. The Cannonball replacement seat, had no such area to re-place it in. It's currently in the frunk.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    I just put my tool kit in the bottom of the frunk or top trunk. When I want it, I want it NOW. I have never liked the underseat position. My F3 had it under the seat. The Cannonball replacement seat, had no such area to re-place it in. It's currently in the frunk.
    Same here......... the tool kit that came with the bike was tiny and just about useless for anything. It was strapped under the seat. There is a couple of spare CO2 cartridges strapped there now, and there is much larger and more complete tool kit in a roll bag in the frunk.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

I just put my tool kit in the bottom of the frunk or top trunk. When I want it, I want it NOW. I have never liked the underseat position...
    Hehe, erm, how is emptying the trunk of all your luggage more convenient and quicker than lifting the seat?
    Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
    Rule#1: Refer to rule #2.

Spyder Garage

On our 2018 RTL the tool kit has a strap to keep it rolled up that has fuzzy velcro on the outside. At the bottom front of the rear trunk there is a little bit of an indentation that is slightly triangular, just like the tool kit when it is rolled up. There is also a strip of the hook side of velcro in there that holds the toll kit in place. That's where the kit was when we got the Spyder.

Agree with the folks above the kit is not very complete and generally of dubious quality tools. I added a few tools to the kit, wrenches to disconnect the P-brake if it locks up, a few extra size torx bits for a multi bit screwdriver and such. Years ago I carried a very complete kit, but I needed it in those days, as in the 70's I had a 1968 Sportster. I once changed a piston and cylinder at a roadside park, but that was a simple machine and didn't take a lot, and very few specialized, tools to work on. Those days are pretty much gone, and it seems that this is the basic kit nowadays:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited, 2013 Triumph Bonneville T100
    Motorcycle Rights: AMA Charter Life Member, MRF, FORR Life Member Local 11 Southwest Missouri, Mid-South MILE organizing committee member
    2018 RT Limited , Got one, on, then off then on until Gloria decides if she likes it or not. blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ozarkryder View Post
    On our 2018 RTL the tool kit has a strap to keep it rolled up that has fuzzy velcro on the outside. At the bottom front of the rear trunk there is a little bit of an indentation that is slightly triangular, just like the tool kit when it is rolled up. There is also a strip of the hook side of velcro in there that holds the toll kit in place. That's where the kit was when we got the Spyder.

Agree with the folks above the kit is not very complete and generally of dubious quality tools. I added a few tools to the kit, wrenches to disconnect the P-brake if it locks up, a few extra size torx bits for a multi bit screwdriver and such. Years ago I carried a very complete kit, but I needed it in those days, as in the 70's I had a 1968 Sportster. I once changed a piston and cylinder at a roadside park, but that was a simple machine and didn't take a lot, and very few specialized, tools to work on. Those days are pretty much gone, and it seems that this is the basic kit nowadays:
    That is exactly where mine was mounted on my 2019 RT LIMITED
    I also added some tools to my kit.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PinkRosePetal View Post
    Hehe, erm, how is emptying the trunk of all your luggage more convenient and quicker than lifting the seat?
    Thats when plan B comes in. Pull out luggage, it's a soft bag, grab tool kit, throw bag back in compartment.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Back in the day when I did my touring on a Norton, my favorite tool roll was the bottom half of the leg of a pair of blue jeans with one end sewn shut. It's better to kneel on than gravel or concrete, and was a rag if you needed one. I once completely disassembled the carb on a sidewalk in down town Columbus, Ohio to clean out a jet. There were about 100 people standing on the porch of a bar during a poker run in the Black Hills when I rolled in on one cylinder (800 miles from home).
    They all watched while I took out my tool roll and sat on the ground next to the bike. When I took off the points cover a broken wire was immediately spotted. The broken end was just long enough to tuck under the nut and secure down. I calmly put the points cover back on, put away the tool roll and went to the bar to have a beer.
    when it ws time to leave everyone watched to see if it was fixed and I got a big cheer when it started on first kick (on both cylinders).
    Carb, Points, Kick. what the hell is this guy talking about.
    We all complained about these things, but now I have to agree with ozarkryder, credit card and cell phone.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thats when plan B comes in. Pull out luggage, it's a soft bag, grab tool kit, throw bag back in compartment.
    Today's Frank & Ernest comic.

F & E Plan B.JPG

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Mine is in its designated place under the Comfort Seat but I've never used it. I have the two piece Hopnel soft side trunk bags and use the smaller, i.e., lower bag that has my personal preference tools and emergency items like plug kit, compressor, Rugged Geek, etc.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S