Spyder Garage

Default 2019 F3 Limited Air Bag

I pulled the rear wheel to change the tire, and noticed my air bag looking like this. It is the automatic version on the 2019 F3 Limited. I have had a glance at the air bag on a few other occasions, and it always appeared to have air in it. Not this time. Has anyone else had an air bag looking like this? I really hate to take it to the dealer, but I'm not sure of an easy way to troubleshoot this automatic system.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2019 F3 Limited , Big Bike Parts full size pedal Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

I'm guessing that pic was taken with the suspension hanging & the wheel off??

If so, then it's very likely that your airbag had minimal pressure in it when you turned the ignition off, then you lifted the rear & removed the wheel..... So now that the suspension is hanging and your airbag hasn't been pumped up any more by the ACS plus all the inflate/deflate &/or non-return valves are firmly closed, it's simply been stretched out beyond the ability of what little air remains inside it to inflate it, and what you see is EXACTLY what your airbag should look like!

I wouldn't worry too much unless it looks like that once the wheel is re-fitted and back on the ground - if it looks like that then, you've got problems! But as it stands, looking like that with the rear suspension hanging to full extension, it's just proving that your airbag & the associated valves have NO LEAKS, which is a GOOD thing!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

agree with above^^^^^ if suspension was hanging down to get belt off and tire. if there was a leak and compressor was trying to pump up, there would have been a code
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Burst airbags do not throw codes! Neither do burned up compressors! FYI.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all of the responses. Yes, that is exactly the condition of the rear suspension, shock lower bolt removed, and swingarm hanging down. I'll see what it looks like when I get it all back together. Thanks again.

Spyder Garage

You could check the air pressure in the bag with a tire gauge right now to see if there's air in there! if your reading pressure the bags ok, if you don't have any try to put some in and see if it stays in the bag! With the key off all the dump valve is off and will not be trying to change the pressure on you so it should hold air and stay until the key and the arm is hooked back up on the leveling switch! It should have air in that bag right now, I would think, maybe not much but it should have some!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Just A Caution not to use a shop ail hose to air up the air bag.... the volume in the bag is very small and you can blow out the bag with too much volume/pressure from a shop compressor. A small electric or hand pump is safer, or you can use a portable air tank with 20-30 psi max to check it....
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    I'm guessing that pic was taken with the suspension hanging & the wheel off??

If so, then it's very likely that your airbag had minimal pressure in it when you turned the ignition off, then you lifted the rear & removed the wheel..... So now that the suspension is hanging and your airbag hasn't been pumped up any more by the ACS plus all the inflate/deflate &/or non-return valves are firmly closed, it's simply been stretched out beyond the ability of what little air remains inside it to inflate it, and what you see is EXACTLY what your airbag should look like!

I wouldn't worry too much unless it looks like that once the wheel is re-fitted and back on the ground - if it looks like that then, you've got problems! But as it stands, looking like that with the rear suspension hanging to full extension, it's just proving that your airbag & the associated valves have NO LEAKS, which is a GOOD thing!

Looks like I have a problem. Rear tire back on, and I took it for a short ride. Airbag looks the same. Going to call the shop tomorrow and see when they can look at it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rdkarl View Post
    Thanks for all of the responses. Yes, that is exactly the condition of the rear suspension, shock lower bolt removed, and swingarm hanging down. I'll see what it looks like when I get it all back together. Thanks again.
    did you take out the bolt for ride height stem? and reinstall after tire / belt back on?
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    did you take out the bolt for ride height stem? and reinstall after tire / belt back on?
    Yes, I did.

Spyder Garage

Check the pressure in the bag with a tire gauge! Is the pump running? May have blown fuse! Will the bag pump up manually and hold air, with the key off not running?
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Check the pressure in the bag with a tire gauge! Is the pump running? May have blown fuse! Will the bag pump up manually and hold air, with the key off not running?
    It is the automatic system, so I don't think there is a way to inflate manually. Pump is not running. Looking at the wiring diagram for the 2019 F3 Limited, it is showing a relay in the circuit, not a fuse. Relay is seated properly. No worries, I have an appt. with the dealership for Thursday and it is still on warranty. I have it back in the garage with the front on jack stands. I'm going to get the new Vredestein front tires mounted on Monday. I found a small independent powersports shop in Tampa that was willing & able to mount and balance the Vredestein rear tire, and they said the fronts would be no problem at all.
    Last edited by rdkarl; 01-04-2020 at 11:46 AM. Reason: added text

Spyder Garage

I am having the same problem with my 2019 LTL. When I put the gauge on it - it shows ZERO. When I turn the key on and start the bike - I don't hear the compressor - I check with gauge and still ZERO. I can fill with small compressor - bit it seems to slowly leak out.
    I am also going to take to dealer - under warranty!!
    2019 RTL Asphalt Gray
    2019 RT Limited , Asphalt Grey