Thread: Windscreen arm.

Spyder Garage

Default Windscreen arm.

Waiting for delivery of a NoBoot windscreen arm so decided to strip the parts ready for the big day. The "v" shaped plate that the screen fixes to wont come off . I have removed the 6 screws that attach it to the 3 alloy arms but it wont move at all. It looks as if the brass inserts go all the way through and have to be pulled out. The manual that i have states that there are 3 pins with circlips, obviously an earlier version, mine's a 2016. Anyone had the same problem that can help please.
    Nearly midnight here so Happy New Year to all.

Spyder Garage

Don't quite understand, once you remove all 6 screws the windscreen should lift off. Any chance of posting a pic ?

Spyder Garage

It was a while back when I did mine, but IIRC, I DID have to take all those screws out and THEN press the brass bushes out before the screen would come off (& then do the reverse putting it back on, too!)

I figured it was the older (pre 2013) Spyders that had the inserts with circlips on each side of the bracket, but mine had full width solid brass inserts with one screw on each side 2 per bracket, 6 in total) so that both the screws and then the full width brass inserts (& the washers between bracket & arms) needed to come out in order to release the 'V' bracket from the arms. Those bleedin' washers were a right pain to get back in when re-assembling, too!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-01-2020 at 02:13 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

when i did mine i made up a puller of sorts
    it was a long 4mm bolt with a nut and washer which i used to draw the pins out
    it was quite miserable,due to lack of room, but it did work

before they went back in,i polished the brass pins with emery cloth until they went back by hand

russ
    pres ride
    2014 RT-S
    bike is WIP
    bike has endured elect spike (was jump started incorrectly)
    still a WIP but bike is now running and registered....swapped out 5 modules mostly sourced from Canadian wrecker

Spyder Garage

I just did that arm in November, and it came right off. Post a picture.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

I had to pull my bushings out before the scree would come off!! One was a pain in the butt to get out!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Remove plastic trim panels. Remove actual windscreen.

To remove the windscreen mount, you can use the concept of the threaded holes, screws and washers acting as a puller. You might try installing a screw into the threaded hole, ideally a longer sacrificial screw and lightly tap the screw head in an effort to push it out the backside.

Once removed clean and polish them using the chuck of a cordless drill to spin them. Reassemble with grease.

You may want a helper to steady and prevent the mount from falling. If no helper is available, use a couple of round shank screwdrivers, nails, bolts etc in the holes the brass bushings removed from. This will prevent you from dropping the mount as the last brass comes out.

If you deem needed, cover painted surfaces with tape to lessen the chance of scratches.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Also, before you remove them, cover all holes on the dash with tape. If anything falls into the holes, it will be gone forever.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the advice. I was right in my assumption that the the brass bushes have to come out of the two top arms. On the lower arm the brass pieces look quite short with a steel centre pivot, is that correct. Sorry I am not able to post any pictures.

Spyder Garage

On my 13, the first time I removed those bushings, I backed a screw out and then used my screw driver to push the bushing through as far as the backed out screw would allow, finished removing the screw, then pulled on the now exposed screw head from the other side with a pair of long needle nose pliers.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Peter
    How did you get the brass bushes out. Got the same on my 2014RT.
    I have the new arm ready to go but have stumbled on the screws.
    Cheers and Beers
    Happy New Year

Frank

Spyder Garage

Fearless, the first one I removed I started out in much the same way as DGoebel explained, mainly because I was trying to see what was different about it to what was described in the instruction sheet.... but once I realised mine were really full width bushes, I grabbed a little 'C' type clamp & a metal tube 'push-pin' that was smaller in dia than the brass bush, and with the 'anvil' end of the C clamp just clear of the bush hole on one side & the other 'screwed end' of the clamp pushing that smaller dia push-pin from the other side of the bush, simply pushed the bushes out.... Once I knew they were full width bushes that HAD to come out, it was a fairly easy task. Oh, I did use the 'small screwdriver slid thru in place of the bushes' trick to hold things steady until they were all out, too. And all it took was reversing the process to get them back in.

I also cleaned & extremely lightly polished the outside of bushes before putting them back in; and I used a very thin 'full coverage' smear of graphite grease on them to aid the 'sliding in' process as well as ensuring that the 'different metal' bushes wouldn't bind in the holes & would be easier to get out if there ever was a next time. The hardest part about putting the screen back on was getting the little spacers/washers positioned correctly on the ends of the bushes while lining up the screws.... but one of those 'small screwdrivers' helped with that too!!

Good Luck!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!