Spyder Garage

Default Newbie with lots of questions

Hey everyone,

A very sincere Thanks to everyone who's responded to my posts about various topics. I do have many more questions and Im confident everyone here has some advice and can offer assistance and answers to my questions.

I bought my new Spyder F3 on 12/21/19 with 10 miles on it and as of today I have 125 miles on it. Today was my first venture on the freeway, it was a little scary but I handled it fine. Based on my limited experience and time with my Spyder, I have a list of questions to ask the forum.

1) The ride wasn't as smooth as I envisioned before I bought my Can Am. Will it get better?
    2) Do different tires really make that much of a difference?
    3) Will installing an aftermarket sway bar improve the ride any?
    4) I have an Madstad 22" windshield on order, will this help my ride any? If so please explain how?
    5) I just installed the SSV Works audio system, It sounds great while just sitting parked but while Im on the road I cant hear it. I do ride with a full faced helmet and do not currently have a windshield. Will the sound improve as I get more experience?
    6)Today I was playing with my digital display so I set the clock and went through all the features. As I advanced I came across the word "Code" it gave me a code of U0155 or U1055, is this an area of concern?

I'm a 54 year school teacher married for 30 years and proud of both of my children. Both of them are educated and have professional careers as well as new homes, super proud dad. I'm now at the point in my life where, "it time for dad to do fun and exciting things," so getting the Spyder has been a lifelong dream. I just want to do things right and enjoy myself. Any help would be appreciated.

Sincerely
    Gilbert Pardo (Arcamguy)
    2022 RT , Marsella Red

Spyder Garage

Windshield will be big improvement, Swaybar will help with steering stability. Switching to different shocks will improve ride,
    Is the F3 just the plain model or F3T or F3 Limited. Don't say specific model.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I would say give it some time and miles @ 125 miles you need to do more than that. Give it 1000 to 2000 mile of experience before you start looking for what you want to do to the Spyder. You have to get you and your riding style down first than you will know more of what you need from your spyder. Read Dos and Don'ts https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-Spyder-owners Take your time and if you can find some Spyder people around you or event that's a +. Now your questions #1 will get better with time and miles; 2 & 3 are good and they can make a difference in your Spyder once you get #1 done, #4 Will help Keep the wind from pushing you and make it flow around you if correct. #5 Can't say for sure but if you can blue tooth it to you helmet that would be the way to do it. #6 We do have some code people here that I'm sure will help with that when they see it. Just my opinion. Good Luck Live to Ride, Ride to Live
    Last edited by CopperSpyder; 12-31-2019 at 07:39 PM.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

F3 Base model
    2022 RT , Marsella Red

Spyder Garage

Put at least 2,000 miles on it before you make any major changes. Add the windshield if you want, but you should hold off on spending a lot on shocks, sway bars, tires, etc until you get comfortable with what you got. Once you don't need to think about riding and it all just comes natural without any conscious thought, then if you feel you want to change some of it, go for it.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arcamguy View Post
    Hey everyone,

A very sincere Thanks to everyone who's responded to my posts about various topics. I do have many more questions and Im confident everyone here has some advice and can offer assistance and answers to my questions.

I bought my new Spyder F3 on 12/21/19 with 10 miles on it and as of today I have 125 miles on it. Today was my first venture on the freeway, it was a little scary but I handled it fine. Based on my limited experience and time with my Spyder, I have a list of questions to ask the forum.

1) The ride wasn't as smooth as I envisioned before I bought my Can Am. Will it get better?
    Don't spend any money until you have at least 1k miles on different kinds of road under your belt.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    Put at least 2,000 miles on it before you make any major changes. Add the windshield if you want, but you should hold off on spending a lot on shocks, sway bars, tires, etc until you get comfortable with what you got. Once you don't need to think about riding and it all just comes natural without any conscious thought, then if you feel you want to change some of it, go for it.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I heartily agree with the other posters who recommend getting lots more miles on your Spyder before forking over bucks for suspension improvements that your riding style as a newbie does not immediately demand. OTOH, since you said your ride wasn't as smooth as you envisioned without amplifying information, we don't know just what your perceived problem(s) is/are. One thing left unaddressed but that is very important to smooth riding of any Spyder regardless of model is the alignment of the wheels, all three of them. One of the things I believe you should do as you accumulate miles is consider having the alignment checked by a dealer or independent shop that uses the Rolo laser alignment system. You can find a list of those dealerships and shops at this link: http://www.spydercomfort.com/dealers.htm. Why have it checked? BRP's record of sending Spyders off the assembly line perfectly aligned leaves a lot to be desired. Good dealers who use the Rolo system generally do not charge if a Spyder is properly aligned and if alignment is necessary the price is generally in the $125 - $175 range. The best place to start is at the dealership that sold you your Spyder. You can search here on SL and find the results reported by many owners who reported improvement in their Spyder's handling including some who swore up and down that theirs did not need it until they had it checked and aligned and subsequently realized what a difference it made. Good luck, ride safe and Happy New Year!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Newby to Newby.....Gilbert, I bought my F3L last February and got some riding in - not a lot because my hip and right knee were in pain, that's why I gave up two wheels for three. I could write just what you did in post #1. I was applying everything the above posts said, but it was a hard learning curve to climb.
    I got the hip replaced September 30 and the long recovery began. Fast forward to this week, 3-1/2 months off the Spyder. During that time, I was on this forum daily and like you, I was convinced my bike NEEDED a beefier swaybar and better tires. I had put only 700 mile on 'er. We had a couple dry days and I am feeling really good now, so I took 'er out for a spin, thinking I may be starting out on square one again. It didn't hurt anymore to mount the saddle and sit on it - nice! Off I went and SURPRISE I was way up the learning curve from where I left off. I could push 'er harder in the curves and go faster in the straights. Before the surgery, I never got 'er over 55 mph - I got 'er over 70 with no drama.
    Screw the sway bar and tire idea, I'm going to ride the hell out 'er come riding season and then decide. Right now, she's just fine as she is. Beautiful and has great moves.
    My advice to you, Gilbert, is do the same - listen and read what these experienced folks are saying and apply that. Then after you are at that YEE HAW stage, decide if you really need to spend that money for goodies when it's really experience you need.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Thank You so much for your words of encouragement
    2022 RT , Marsella Red

Spyder Garage

Congratulations! Ride as much as you can. It will tell you what you need. The windshield is critical. Sort out saddle, bars and grips, foot positions. If anything hurts, fix it. Then, ride more! Yes, better tires are good. When the stock ones are used up, replace with better ones. LED headlights are most welcome; see and be seen! Enjoy!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Strange no one mentioned to check the air pressure in your tires.There is a lot of debate about the correct amount.Do a search and see what others say about this .I personally found that it makes a big difference.I found that when I changed over to car tires it made a nice difference to smoothness and cornering.It would help if you were more specific as to the problems.You can never get good sound out of external speakers when you've got wind noise at high speed.Many of us have helmet comm systems so we can actually hear our music and GPS and talk to our SO.Windshields built right can reduce head buffeting and cut some noise,again do a search to see what others have to say about specific models or brands.You can call the dealer about your code.Finally I agree about putting on a lot more miles before you change anything(except for maybe the air pressure).
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

Hey everyone,

4) I have an Madstad 22" windshield on order, will this help my ride any? If so please explain how?
    5) I just installed the SSV Works audio system, It sounds great while just sitting parked but while Im on the road I cant hear it. I do ride with a full faced helmet and do not currently have a windshield. Will the sound improve as I get more experience?
    6)Today I was playing with my digital display so I set the clock and went through all the features. As I advanced I came across the word "Code" it gave me a code of U0155 or U1055, is this an area of concern?

I'm a 54 year school teacher married for 30 years and proud of both of my children. Both of them are educated and have professional careers as well as new homes, super proud dad. I'm now at the point in my life where, "it time for dad to do fun and exciting things," so getting the Spyder has been a lifelong dream. I just want to do things right and enjoy myself. Any help would be appreciated.

Sincerely
    Gilbert Pardo (Arcamguy)
    I'll try to answer some of your questions. Good advice to give it 1K to 2K miles before adding any performance items. I got my F3L on 12/16/2019. So far, almost 1000 miles. So far...

I am liking the nimbleness compared to the 2014 RT-S which I also own. This has now been passed on to Linda, and her 2011 went away as a trade in.

I like the slightly "smaller" package from the RT. I do miss the electric windshield, but am going to live with it. I am one of the few that seems to like the OEM windshield. Mine is set up for me, via U-fit, and I sit very comfortable on the F3 and do not experience any wind buffeting, in spite of driving in 20 - 30 mph winds a lot.

Not going to change out the OEM tires. I will take the free 20K from the fronts and the 15K I have been getting from the Kenda's on the first go around. I will change out the tires with aftermarket ones, now that I have a place to do the job, once the time comes.

Happy with the handling so far. Will have the alignment checked sometime between now (1000 miles) and when I bring it in for the 3000 mile service.

The seat has already been changed out. The OEM seats, to me, are like mush after 50 miles of riding. This will be the sixth spyder that I have parted with the OEM seat. I purchased a BRP Cannonball seat. It is very similar to the previous BRP Comfort seat. I am not getting fatigued at 50 miles any more. I feel a good choice.

I have already added more lights. Had dealer install front signature light and BRP driving lights. Still to come will be a lighted bumpskid, and more lights on the rear trunk.
    One more "bling" item...a chrome trunk rack just to spiff it up a bit.

I am also going to purchase a set of soft luggage from Lamonster Garage. I can get all four pieces for an average of $25 apiece. That's $100 compared to over a thousand for "you know who's" luggage.

Overall, you will find yourself liking the F3 a lot as you pile on the miles.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

1) The ride wasn't as smooth as I envisioned before I bought my Can Am. Will it get better? Ride ride ride is your best bet.
    2) Do different tires really make that much of a difference? They do and losing the OEM Kenda is of first priority but don't worry, the original will need replaced in about 9k miles
    3) Will installing an aftermarket sway bar improve the ride any? This, if nothing else should be done.
    Ride ride ride is your best bet. I raced quads for a long time and there was NO learning curve to transition to the Spyder (except that the Spyder with a sway bar and new rear tire is FUN!
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey