Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RT luggage

Spyder Garage

Default RT luggage

I have a 2014 RT with the frunk suitcase / rollerboard that came with it. I am going to rent a Spyder to ride in the west for a week and want to know whether the newer RTs will still accept the same RT luggage as I have with my 2014? I haven't paid attention to what the latest RTs look like, but it appears they may be somewhat different? If so, how long (through what model year) did the luggage stay the same as my 2014's?
    Thanks, Patrick

Spyder Garage

My package for the 2010 RT still works in the 2014. I don't believe there were further modifications up through 2019. 2020 will most likely be a different story.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Yes, the front luggage hasn't changed 2010 to 2020.
    My experience though, is that you're far better off using a soft sided bag for the front.
    The Can Am Bag is built specifically to fit into the front compartment, but the mechanics of the bag, such as wheels, zippers, folding handle, mechanical supports, all take up a lot of room. You'll get more storage space from a duffel bag. My first trip, I used a laundry bag.

As always, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

And I have used my frunk luggage many times and found it very convenient esp. if you are going to be traveling by some other means to get to where the Spyder is (airplane?). You frunk bag will fit any RT from 2010 to 2019 so no worries. 2020 may be different, but I didn't think you'd rent a 2020.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

The 2010 "frunk" bag fits a little more "cozy" in the frunk of the 2014...but I can still close the lid. I used the frunk bag a lot. It was my book bag when I was teaching accounting classes at the University.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    Yes, the front luggage hasn't changed 2010 to 2020.
    My experience though, is that you're far better off using a soft sided bag for the front.
    The Can Am Bag is built specifically to fit into the front compartment, but the mechanics of the bag, such as wheels, zippers, folding handle, mechanical supports, all take up a lot of room. You'll get more storage space from a duffel bag. My first trip, I used a laundry bag.

As always, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee.
    Agreed! Just use a lightweight soft duffel bag for luggage. They take up a lot less space and leave more space for "stuff"
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Agreed, there are a number of soft options that hold far more than the hard luggage at a fraction of the cost. I actually bought hard luggage on this site from another member and sold it the day it arrived.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I carry my tire repair kit, some bungee cords and other misc. things in the frunk, and have found that a small/mid sized back pack will also fit nicely upside down in the frunk when fully packed with personal items. Been using that method for several years and it works out well for me.

Spyder Garage

I took my own advice. I'm planning a cross country trip when I retire soon.. Bought one of these. About $25:
    126-996_A_V1.jpg
    Hopnel soft front bag for the RT. It's like a back pack.
    I got mine from SlingMods. Looks like a good site.
    This will go on the plane nicely if necessary and the straps make it easy to carry through the airport.

I also bought one of these for the rear rack. Nelson Rigg NR-300 Route 1 Traveler Tour Trunk Bag. About $160
    nelson_rigg_nr300_route1_traveler_tour_trunk_rack_bag_750x750.jpg
    You could get this on the plane also, even though you might need to check it. I don't know if a rental bike will have a rear rack on it. This bag is semi rigid and expands to
    73.5 liters (19.5 gal) of additional storage bringing the total OEMstorage from 47 gal to 66 gal of storage. .
    That ought to be enough for only two people ? Well one person and a fashionista. I refuse to get a trailer. I keep explaining to my partner that we're traveling within the lower contiguous 48 states.
    We're not going "Where no man has gone before".
    Under no circumstances will we ever be more than 30 miles away from a Walmart, Family Dollar, or Target.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

19.5 gallon? You may wish to rethink that as it seems like it may be too much for a trunk rack. Half that sized packed with lite weight items would be more realistic.

Spyder Garage

The RT rolling suitcase for frunk fits all RT models including the new 2020 RT. I got one with my 2014 limited and dealer confirmed with BRP that it fits my new 2020 that is coming this month.
    Terry
    2020 RTL - Petrol Blue Metalic / Black, dark model.
    Colour match rear tail cover, Garmin GPS.
    Heated Ultra Comfort driver seat & backrest.
    LED headlamps, LED Front corner lamps and lower front LED lamp.
    Baja Ron sway bar.
    Ride Til You Rot!

Spyder Garage

Default F3 Limited Luggage

I started this thread because the Las Vegas location where I may be renting this summer rents an RT, and since I ride a 2014 RT I wondered whether my luggage (frunk, saddle bags, trunk) would fit a more recent model. I've gotten lots of good info for which I'm quite grateful.

Now I've learned there's an outfit in Reno that rents an F3 Limited. I don't know anything about the F3, but what I see on the web makes it look like an interesting machine; however, from its photos it looks like it has all the same 4 luggage compartments, but it also looks like they are each a bit differently shaped from those of the RT. Anybody know whether I can bring my luggage that's specially shaped for my 2014 RT and expect it to fit a 2019 F3?

Thanks in advance, PatrickH

Spyder Garage

Sorry Patrick, your RT Luggage won't fit into an F3's Frunk/panniers. A/mkt soft bag type stuff, yeah; but not the BRP 'specfic for the RT' luggage!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

RE: F3 Fit. Lamonster Garage shows four pieces of Hopnel soft luggage that is for the F3. Each piece is about $25...and on sale at the moment.

I am planning on getting my F3 outfitted with all four of the soft bags.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Peter, Thanks for the info. Not what I wanted to hear, but what I suspected.

What about trunk? I have a 2-bag insert for my RT that works quite well for that deep RT trunk. Is the F3 trunk shaped like the RT's? Patrick H

Spyder Garage

Nope, the F3 Trunk bears little resemblance to the RT Trunk - the F3's being wide & relatively shallow (altho you might fit a helmet or possibly even 2 in there!) while the RT's is narrow but deep (good luck fitting any 3/4 or full face helmet in there!!) Their Frunks are completely different shaped too - the F3's being almost able to fit one large full face helmet, if you juggle it around the right way & push hard enough; while the RT's will take that rolling luggage bag fairly easily or with some juggling will hold 2 large Shoei Full face helmets, one on top of the other! Panniers too - F3's are a different shape entirely & somewhat smaller....

However, on the plus side, I believe those soft bags AR linked above will work in both the F3's AND the RT's, albeit leaving a reasonably handy bit of vacant space in the RT! And they aren't too expensive, nor are they unusable in other circumstances, so they might be a good investment?!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickH View Post
    I am going to rent a Spyder to ride in the west for a week and want to know whether the newer RTs will still accept the same RT luggage as I have with my 2014? I haven't paid attention to what the latest RTs look like, but it appears they may be somewhat different? If so, how long (through what model year) did the luggage stay the same as my 2014's?
    Thanks, Patrick
    I'm looking for luggage for the 2 saddlebags on the 2021 RT. Has the size or shape of the saddlebags changed in recent years. Some of website for luggage say up to 2019.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by milryder View Post
    I'm looking for luggage for the 2 saddlebags on the 2021 RT. Has the size or shape of the saddlebags changed in recent years. Some of website for luggage say up to 2019.
    I can't say from personal experience, but from what I saw while researching the question, it appears that the RT luggage remained unchanged till about 2019 (maybe + or - a year), but then changed significantly with the 2020 or the 2021.
    2014 Spyder RT LTD silver, Corbin saddle w/backrest & gas filler door, 4" stubby antenna, dual USB charging receptacle on dash, handlebar "cuff" attachment point for RAM phone mount, Diamond-R trunk-top level luggage rack, magic mirrors, Bestem saddle bag liners & Hopnel trunk bag (2-piece set), SpyderPops bumpskid (not lighted), highway foot rests; rear tire General Altimax 215/60/15, Baker Wind Wings, LED Headlights, RT Series 2010-2019 Rear Trunk Holder

Spyder Garage

The saddlebags and the front are the same if you use the Hopnel luggage (the Can-Am luggage wastes a huge amount of valuable space). The rear requires a new piece (instead of the two separate pieces) and is only about $25-ish.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MRH View Post
    The saddlebags and the front are the same if you use the Hopnel luggage (the Can-Am luggage wastes a huge amount of valuable space). The rear requires a new piece (instead of the two separate pieces) and is only about $25-ish.
    Can you post a link for this new luggage?
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    Can you post a link for this new luggage?
    So, this is what I was talking about:
    https://www.slingmods.com/canam-spyd...pnel?vehicle=1

And I found this when I looked that I wasn't expecting to see:

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MRH View Post
    So, this is what I was talking about:

And I found this when I looked that I wasn't expecting to see:
    Thank you.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Default newbie here...

So I just bought my wife a 2021 Rt. brought it home 3 days ago (had to trailer because of the snow...ugh, I have a Harley Ultra that I will continue with for a while yet...). The frunk and saddlebags don't come with any sort of liner and I can see daylight through one of the bottom corners of the frunk to the outside (towards the radiators I think). It looks like I can get the BRP liner for the rt limited and it should work but is it reasonably weatherproof? and are the saddle bags also weatherproof? If so I will investigate the Hopnel bags for her as I've used them on past rides with good success. Thanks in advance.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mhsmith451 View Post
    So I just bought my wife a 2021 Rt. brought it home 3 days ago (had to trailer because of the snow...ugh, I have a Harley Ultra that I will continue with for a while yet...). The frunk and saddlebags don't come with any sort of liner and I can see daylight through one of the bottom corners of the frunk to the outside (towards the radiators I think). It looks like I can get the BRP liner for the rt limited and it should work but is it reasonably weatherproof? and are the saddle bags also weatherproof? If so I will investigate the Hopnel bags for her as I've used them on past rides with good success. Thanks in advance.
    If you can "see daylight through one of the bottom corners of the frunk", are you sure that the bottom of the frunk hasn't been broken or maybe incorrectly fitted??

None of the earlier Frunks were open to the outside/daylight anywhere but thru the lid, and that was only when it was open! Sounds like you've got a bit of a problem there.... or maybe a new & undocumented 'feature' - 'Flo-thru ventilation & running water in the frunk'.... cos whenever you ride in the rain/thru a puddle, the water'll run straight inside the frunk!!

Fitting a liner to a frunk with a hole in its base won't stop the water/road grime/any slush you ride thru from getting in; unless you clean it out & fix the hole, it'll just hide the crud/any moisture from view until it's started rotting out the liner!

But once the damage/any holes in them are fixed, the frunk & trunks (with correctly fitted sealing gaskets) should be pretty weatherproof when they're closed! The liners themselves, not so much!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-08-2022 at 03:07 AM. Reason: ant holes = any holes
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Holes in Frunk? ?

You should check this out with your local Spyder Dealer. As Peter A. has posted 'no holes allowed' and for good reason. Anything in your frunk will get wet while you're ryding in a rain storm. ....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-08-2022 at 03:05 AM. Reason: aloud = allowed ;-)
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue