Spyder Garage

Unhappy 2012 RT SM5. Clutch Problems

Took it in to the dealer or actually trailered it to them. Bike showed a limp home code so my wife limped ten miles home. When the dealer ran the code it showed 1 1/2 qt low on oil. Told them that it had a grinding noise until you took pressure off the clutch. They recommend an oil change ( it was due) and said they would double check everything out. During the oil change the magnetic plug had excessive metal shavings on it and a small piece of aluminum in the oil. Unfortunately the service manager was off that day and they put it back together and with the oil change! When the service manager showed up the next day he called us and said he needed to talk personally. Bike only has just under 20K miles and was four months out of warranty! They offered to tear down the engine and check out the damage for $1500 to see what was wrong. Recent health issues have have made this impossible as we can’t afford it on a whim. My question is there anyone out there looking for a clean garage kept project bike and if so what should we ask for it? My email is wbkerwin@gmail.com. Thanks guys I always loved reading your forum and seeing the answers.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wbill View Post
    Took it in to the dealer or actually trailered it to them. Bike showed a limp home code so my wife limped ten miles home. When the dealer ran the code it showed 1 1/2 qt low on oil. Told them that it had a grinding noise until you took pressure off the clutch. They recommend an oil change ( it was due) and said they would double check everything out. During the oil change the magnetic plug had excessive metal shavings on it and a small piece of aluminum in the oil. Unfortunately the service manager was off that day and they put it back together and with the oil change! When the service manager showed up the next day he called us and said he needed to talk personally. Bike only has just under 20K miles and was four months out of warranty! They offered to tear down the engine and check out the damage for $1500 to see what was wrong. Recent health issues have have made this impossible as we can’t afford it on a whim. My question is there anyone out there looking for a clean garage kept project bike and if so what should we ask for it? My email is wbkerwin@gmail.com. Thanks guys I always loved reading your forum and seeing the answers.
    I don't want to buy, however I offer this …. dealer Techs are notoriously BAD concerning the Oil level measurements …. mostly they Over-fill it, if the exact measurement Procedure isn't followed they may think it's Low on oil..... so, prior to taking it to the dealer did you measure the oil level ???? …. sadly, dealers don't always tell the truth, and this is more commonplace than you might think ….. dealer Techs aren't always really knowledgeable about the Spyder and or how to fix them …… lastly a failed clutch isn't all that bad … not really difficult to re-place if it is damaged …. wishing you good luck with this..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Mike thanks for your reply, I agree that some mechanics and service people aren’t knowledgeable about the inner workings of the Royal engine. However the service manager there was our initial mechanic when we first got our bike and he has been to all the schools and training. If you’ll email me at the bkerwin@gmail.com I’ll send a picture of the drain plug and metal they found. Only have our iPhone as we got rid of the laptops years ago.

Spyder Garage

I would definitely ride it to see if you still have the problem, and if so, get another opinion from a different dealer. Good luck.

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wbill View Post
    Mike thanks for your reply, I agree that some mechanics and service people aren’t knowledgeable about the inner workings of the Royal engine. However the service manager there was our initial mechanic when we first got our bike and he has been to all the schools and training. If you’ll email me at the bkerwin@gmail.com I’ll send a picture of the drain plug and metal they found. Only have our iPhone as we got rid of the laptops years ago.
    Thanks, but my cell phone is on an extended vacation ( no service ) ….. I had two V-twins and after the first two oil changes ( 10,000 mi. ) I was finding only a very small amount debris in the oil …. others have shown pics of quite a bit more , and their engines / clutches were fine …. at 20,000 mi. all the normal crap should have already stopped being visible … I agree with Big Arm another opinion might be useful …. my 1330 engine stopped showing any debris after the second oil change also ….. good luck …. Mike

Spyder Garage

If it runs ok then id trade it in for something else while it was still good...