Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Yep, tightening forces in the rearward direction toward the belt adjusters, otherwise you'll change the belt alignment. With the rear wheel off the ground and the spyder secured, start it up and put it in first gear. With the wheel spinning while torqueing the axle you can watch the belt walk across the pulley. 166 lb. torque is way over reasonable. JMHO though.
    Yeah, 166 (+/- 10) meant the purchase of some extra gear, 2dogs. I had the gear for up to 100. Since i had to buy, I ended up buying 3/4” drive. Made the job very easy. Just call me Tim the Tool Man Like you, I do still wonder though why they felt the need to nearly double the torque over the pre 2014 models.

Pete

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yeah, 166 (+/- 10) meant the purchase of some extra gear, 2dogs. I had the gear for up to 100. Since i had to buy, I ended up buying 3/4” drive. Made the job very easy. Just call me Tim the Tool Man Like you, I do still wonder though why they felt the need to nearly double the torque over the pre 2014 models.

Pete

Yep, lug nuts are 70. As you know the rear axel is a tube, not a solid shaft. I don't read every post but to date I don't recall seeing any justification here for a 166 lb rear axle torque, other than that's what the specs call for. Why did BRP nearly double the torque specs? I don't want to name names here but you and I both know people who are running around with 80/90 lb torque settings.

Spyder Garage

My TQ wrench only goes up to 100 ft/lb. I just did 100 ft/lbs and then took a breaker bar to snug it up a touch more. Not at 166 ft/lb's, I can tell you that..

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    My TQ wrench only goes up to 100 ft/lb. I just did 100 ft/lbs and then took a breaker bar to snug it up a touch more. Not at 166 ft/lb's, I can tell you that..
    If you use the extension I show in post #10, https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=1#post1490248, you might be able to get the full 166 with your 100 lb-ft wrench. That extension is 6" long. Put that and your wrench length into the calculator on this page, https://www.engineersedge.com/manufa..._extension.htm and see how high a torque you can get with your current wrench.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)