Thread: Rear tires

Spyder Garage

Default Rear tires

In about 3 1/2 mths we up here in the wisconsin mid west mite ;; get luckey enough to get the BLACK WIDOW out and back on the road. WE hav a 2015 RTs now @ 29585 mls on it.. wife & I ride 2 up 95% of the time we love riding togeather oh ya iget to ride shot gun alot but that way i can get some shut eye on our long trips; the origional Kenda Tire was totaly shot @ 10050 mls 2nd replacement kenda got 7100 mls and totaly shot,, so at 17150miles i purchased a michlin Defender HT mud & snow SUV tire with rateings of 91H & utgL of 820 and an A_B rateing tire started out with a 10/32s tread depth, keeping tire pressur @ 26 psi .we pull the canam trailer with us 65% of the time vacations golfing grocries what ever, we always come home with more than we left with.. Now @ this time the back tire has 12585 miles on it. Tire has a complete flat tread across the tire, and all across the tire face Tread depth is still @ 6/32s... just wanted to offer the spyder team some good milage stats and how we drive.. we broke this machine like we were running from the law we have never babyed Our Black Widow. and we sure lover.she is A GetterDunner mean machine.. value acessories Theresa.. swayBars kit! shock adjusters' and passenger comfort arm rests.. always run 10w40 AMS oil 5.8 Qts and 20 oz of Lucus this has been the best oil mix with the Quietest shift for our Bike.. May the winds be @ your back and the sun in your face happy 2020 Cycling!!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Good for you. ….. I started recommending a Michelin Defender " T + H " ( which is what you actually have ) about 2 years ago … ( it's not an SUV tire ) because it had very high over-all ratings …….. many here who have tried it , also liked it ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

What is the "recommended" size for a F3-S that will also keep the speedo accurate ?

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

A 215/60-15 will actually make the speedo more accurate than the stock 225/50-15.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Thanks .. In all likelihood, I'll likely just replace the OEM rear Kenda when it's worn out or at the end of the upcoming season. That said, with 3,200 miles on my Spyder, I have a set of Vredestein Q5's 165/60R15's waiting for me to install

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Thanks .. In all likelihood, I'll likely just replace the OEM rear Kenda when it's worn out or at the end of the upcoming season. That said, with 3,200 miles on my Spyder, I have a set of Vredestein Q5's 165/60R15's waiting for me to install
    Boy, you better get some miles on your Spyder or those Vredesteins will dry rot before you need to put them on! The OEM Kenda fronts should serve you to well over 20,000 miles. No need to change them if they're running smooth.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Boy, you better get some miles on your Spyder or those Vredesteins will dry rot before you need to put them on! The OEM Kenda fronts should serve you to well over 20,000 miles. No need to change them if they're running smooth.
    Ha ... Na, I drank the front tire kool aid They'll be installed as soon as I get out in the garage and uncover the bYke. I'll likely just list the like new Kenda's on Craigslist/FB Market Place for a good price. As for the rear, leaning towards keeping it on for another season...

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

For those interested in the speedometer correction that can be achieved with a tire size different from the OEM. I chose the 205/65 based on the error I saw when compared against GPS. The 2014 RTL now shows 75mph when actual speed is 74.5mph
    Attached Images Attached Images

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    For those interested in the speedometer correction that can be achieved with a tire size different from the OEM....
    Thanks for posting. I routinely set me CC based on the GPS speed and the increased mileage over the Crapenda is really what I'm after.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    For those interested in the speedometer correction that can be achieved with a tire size different from the OEM. I chose the 205/65 based on the error I saw when compared against GPS. The 2014 RTL now shows 75mph when actual speed is 74.5mph
    I did all this math when I was swapping over, and found the Vredestein 175/55R15 front and 205/60R15 gave a total diameter change of only 1.4% overall front and rear. I wanted to keep the rolling diameter ratios close to OEM so it would have the least impact on the Nanny.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    I did all this math when I was swapping over, and found the Vredestein 175/55R15 front and 205/60R15 gave a total diameter change of only 1.4% overall front and rear. I wanted to keep the rolling diameter ratios close to OEM so it would have the least impact on the Nanny.
    Thanks … In my learning experience of Spyder tires ….. It all should be based on the sizes of the tires that will Actually fit on any Spyder. …. and there are no sizes or combination front to rear that are enough to upset the " nanny "..... of course this is all based on an OEM configured Spyder ie. with all Tupperware remaining OEM on that Spyder..... The drive ( ie. rear ) tire is the critical component …… Mike

Spyder Garage

We like the 215/60R15 Altimax RT43 on the back because it wears and rolls well, and it gets the mph within 1 of the GPS actual speed. On my 15 RT with the 79 tooth rear sprocket that means I can set the cruise to 66 showing on the Speedometer and the actual will be 65 mph for the majority of roads we travel.

That also means an engine RPM of 1/2 of 66 which is 3300 which is very fuel efficient and still adequate torque on the plains unless we want to pass...

My wifes 16 F3T will also be set at 66 mph on the speedometer but due to her 89 tooth sprocket she will be running at 3750 RPM or 12.6% higher rev range. Interestingly she gets just as good gas mileage at that cruising RPM but can accelerate better as she is higher on the torque curve.. the best of both worlds.
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

I was on the fence between the General Altimax 215/60R15, Cooper CS5 Grand Touring 215/60R15 and Vredestein Q5 205/60R15. In the end, I went a different route and ordered a Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring 215/60R15 from Amazon for $58/delivered. It's a fresh tire with MFR date of 2819. WTH
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

According to all the radar speed points the stock Kendas on mine are making the speedometer read about 3 MPH over the actual speeds. I don't really care. I look at speed limits as a just a suggestion of how fast I should go anyway.

Got the ;

Kumho Ecsta AST Performance Radial Tire-225/50R15 91H

To replace my rear on the F3-S
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

I checked my 2019 RTL this morning with GPS, stock Kendas and according to the GPS with the cruise control set at 80 it was anywhere between 75 to 77 depending on if it was going up hill or downhill so an average of 3 MPH fast. Can't wait until I need new tires.
    2019 RT Limited , Pearl White

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    According to all the radar speed points the stock Kendas on mine are making the speedometer read about 3 MPH over the actual speeds. I don't really care. I look at speed limits as a just a suggestion of how fast I should go anyway.

Got the ;

Kumho Ecsta AST Performance Radial Tire-225/50R15 91H

To replace my rear on the F3-S
    Quote Originally Posted by lwedwards View Post
    I checked my 2019 RTL this morning with GPS, stock Kendas and according to the GPS with the cruise control set at 80 it was anywhere between 75 to 77 depending on if it was going up hill or downhill so an average of 3 MPH fast. Can't wait until I need new tires.
    That's because there is an International rule from the UN that requires all vehicle manufacturers to have their speedometers show up to 10% above real speed. This prevents drivers from thinking they are going not as fast as they actually are. Most of the recommended replacement car tires are a bit larger in diameter than the Kendas and so speedometer readings are much closer to actual speeds.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Yes mike mine is the SUV tire it has the tougher side wall rating; its rated for SUVs not cars;

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bobfeeney View Post
    Yes mike mine is the SUV tire it has the tougher side wall rating; its rated for SUVs not cars;
    According to the tire manufacturer " Michelin "..... the " T&H " is not listed as an SUV tire ..... it is primarily for passenger cars ..... Michelin makes tires specifically for " SUV's " but the T&H isn't one of them..... ANY tire can be used on any vehicle it will fit ..... as long as you follow the weight specifics for the tire and vehicle .... you can use Snow specific tires all year round ( not studded in some jurisdictions ) but since they are quite temperature sensitive, in warm conditions they wear out pretty fast ...... ride safe, ride happy ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I would be concerned with the difference in hight changing the gear ratio.
    stock 225/50R-15 = 23.85" high
    205/60R-16 = 24.68" high
    215/60R-15 = 25.15" high
    I'm using the tire formula to determine tire hight.
    Anyone notice a difference in RPM's at speed. It might not be a lot but an 1" taller tire I would think would be like having taller gears.
    2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Papa103 View Post
    I would be concerned with the difference in hight changing the gear ratio.
    stock 225/50R-15 = 23.85" high
    205/60R-16 = 24.68" high
    215/60R-15 = 25.15" high
    I'm using the tire formula to determine tire hight.
    Anyone notice a difference in RPM's at speed. It might not be a lot but an 1" taller tire I would think would be like having taller gears.
    tire size formula's are the same as GUESSING !!! ...... you need to use the Manufactures spec size for ANY particular tire .... and the difference between the smallest rear tire and the largest is not going to make any noticeable change ..... Mike

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You're overthinking it. Many have used these sizes and the percentage of difference is small. The 215/60R15 size works wonderfully and makes the speedo accurate within 1 mph of a gps unit.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White