Spyder Garage

Default Oil all over my engine

So I have a 2016 F3-T. I had the oil and oil filter changed. But over the last few days, I have smelt oil while I am riding. I looked and it appears that when he pulled the old oil filter, oil got all over the engine. And as I rode it, it made it worse.

Can I take it to a car wash to clean off the oil? I remove the front ride bay plate to expose the brake fluid resorvor, and when I use a flash light, I see oil on a lot of things, including the foam. What should I do?

Spyder Garage

I would not use an auto car wash spray on any areas under the plastic. It is not very hard to remove the plastic from that side to allow you to get in with rags and low pressure cleaner from a spray bottle. As a benefit, you can also check to see there is not a leak around the top of the oil filter. Would be hard for someone to foul up replacing the oil filter cap, but anything is possible.

Spyder Garage

If it were me, I'd go back to the shop and tell them, you made the mess, you clean it up. Why have to undo someone else's sloppy work?
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Are you SURE it's not a leak?? You got the oil & filters changed and now there's oil everywhere and you tell us it's getting worse as you ride?! Take it back, politely ask them to check/fix/see whatever it is just to make sure they didn't miss anything or fail to tighten something up. If YOU try to fix it and it turns out that they had done something wrong or possibly broke something, something that could mean that maybe your engine dies, your 'fixing the oil mess' may well be the action that lands you with the entire bill!! Give them the courtesy of making things right - first!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

The first thing I would do is properly check the oil level. If it is over-full you want to get that corrected ASAP! If it is a leak, the oil level may be low. Depending on how low the oil level is, that would also need to be corrected ASAP.

Once you are sure the oil level is correct. I'd take it back to the dealer who did the work and give them a chance to make it right.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I ended up calling them. They are going to come back out today and look at it. I believe I found the issue though. The tech added 6 quarts of oil, and I believe I need only 5. So they over filled it. He said he would look at that and drain some out, if necessary. I hope I don't have some kind of a gasket leak or something because of the overfill of oil.

Spyder Garage

sounds like another bad dealership. adding 6 qts is overfill, need 5 qts or near there. maybe they didn't know there are 2 drain plugs to remove??
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by acdcking12 View Post
    I ended up calling them. They are going to come back out today and look at it. I believe I found the issue though. The tech added 6 quarts of oil, and I believe I need only 5. So they over filled it. He said he would look at that and drain some out, if necessary. I hope I don't have some kind of a gasket leak or something because of the overfill of oil.
    Yep! Kind of figured it would go like this. I'm with you. I hope you didn't blow out a seal or gasket. Let's hope that is the case. I always tell people to check the dealers work (if possible) before you leave. It may be a bit awkward. But it's YOUR RIDE! And with dealership track records, it's not without reason. It always makes me chuckle when people post that they always have the dealership do the work because they are the experts and they want it done right. And granted, that's the way it should be. I agree. But, if you only saw what goes on behind the curtain. Many times you will do a better job than the dealership. Because again, it's your ride, not theirs.

I wish you the best of luck on this on. I think, chances are, you'll be fine.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 12-27-2019 at 11:50 AM.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Definitely have the dealership fix their mess up. Having too much oil could cause nearly as many problems as having too little oil. Have them to fix it and then keep an eye on things to make sure that no gaskets are screwed up.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Definitively hope that there is no damage and just removing the extra oil will make everything back to normal.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

…...And make them CLEAN it ..... jmho ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    …...And make them CLEAN it ..... jmho ..... Mike
    Hopefully, the dealer will make it right without having to scream, yell, or jumping up and down while waving your arms wildly!

Spyder Garage

As far as the Spyder, if it was simply overfilled, you will be fine. A local had his overfilled about 1 1/2 quarts. Puked oil out all over the place. With proper oil amount and a good cleaning, it was back to normal.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    As far as the Spyder, if it was simply overfilled, you will be fine. A local had his overfilled about 1 1/2 quarts. Puked oil out all over the place. With proper oil amount and a good cleaning, it was back to normal.
    Mine has an extra quart in it. But yeah, oil everywhere. Where is all the oil actually coming from if not a broken seal or gasket?

Spyder Garage

Mine has an extra quart in it. But yeah, oil everywhere. Where is all the oil actually coming from if not a broken seal or gasket?
    I forget exactly, may have been dipstick, but thought Kenny B mentioned somewhere else. Regardless, Kenny has a lot of experience as a Spyder tech, and stated reset oil to correct level, and the problem will subside.

Spyder Garage

Not familiar with the ACE 1330,but could it have been pushing oil out a breather pipe? If so check your air filter. The dealer may owe you a new one.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Not familiar with the ACE 1330,but could it have been pushing oil out a breather pipe? If so check your air filter. The dealer may owe you a new one.
    The breather connection is far from the filter. Small vertical hose that runs from the throttle body area to the case. Air filter is two airboxes and 24” of connecting duct away.

Spyder Garage

So as an update, a guy came out last night to my house. Found that oil was gushing out of the dipstick when the bike hit 3000RPM. So he then checked, and verified it was an overfill. Drained 3/4 of a quart. Rechecked and all is correct now and no more leaking. He cleaned everything up, refunded me for a quart of oil, and I rode the bike into work today smiling the whole way.

Spyder Garage

So as an update, a guy came out last night to my house. Found that oil was gushing out of the dipstick when the bike hit 3000RPM. So he then checked, and verified it was an overfill. Drained 3/4 of a quart. Rechecked and all is correct now and no more leaking. He cleaned everything up, refunded me for a quart of oil, and I rode the bike into work today smiling the whole way.
    Excellent to hear. Sadly though happens much too often by shops and owners unaware of the correct oil amount.

FWIW, based on the true difficulty to remove every drop from every nook and cranny, you may see a drop or two for a bit. Just use a paper towel and wipe it up. If you can maybe reach under and wipe the dripping location if it does happen.

Spyder Garage

Why gushing, no o ring in place?