Spyder Garage

Default Confused on differences between F3L and new 2020 RT Limited

I am in the market for either an F3L or 2020 RT Limited. I can't seem to find any major differences between the two other than:

* power windshield
    * bigger floor boards

There is only about an inch difference in seat height and now the trunk box is the same size. What am I missing here? Why have two vehicles that are so close? Can someone help me understand why two different vehicles that seem to be almost the same vehicle? Maybe they ride differently but we won't know that for sure until someone can ride the 2020 model.

Thanks for your help.

Spyder Garage

for all years that F3 and RT are made, RT is a upright seating position, the F3 are a feet forward position. If you can look more closely at floorboards or pegs. Or visit a dealership soon to sit on them
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    for all years that F3 and RT are made, RT is a upright seating position, the F3 are a feet forward position. If you can look more closely at floorboards or pegs. Or visit a dealership soon to sit on them
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Woodaddict, that is not true for the 2020RT. It has loooong floorboards that let you stretch your legs out.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ollicat View Post
    I am in the market for either an F3L or 2020 RT Limited. I can't seem to find any major differences between the two other than:

* power windshield
    * bigger floor boards

There is only about an inch difference in seat height and now the trunk box is the same size. What am I missing here? Why have two vehicles that are so close? Can someone help me understand why two different vehicles that seem to be almost the same vehicle? Maybe they ride differently but we won't know that for sure until someone can ride the 2020 model.

Thanks for your help.
    I now have a 2014 RT-S and a 2019 F3 Limited Chrome version.

In most cases you are correct, including the comment about windshield and floorboards. The seating position is different, if you get the U-fit adjusted to your height. It is more like sitting "in" the bike rather than "on" it.

I compare the rides of the two as a Cadillac (RT) vs a BMW Sedan (F3). The looks of the two bikes are lower and a bit more streamlined if you compare RT with the F3 side by side. After almost a thousand miles, I am liking my F3 better than the RT.

My recommendation...test drive both to see which one you favor. You may be surprised.

In my opinion, the handling is much different between the two. F3 a bit more nimble feeling.

There is about $3K difference in price. RT is more.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 12-26-2019 at 07:23 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Ollicat, I will be upgrading from my F3-L to the new 2020RT for several reasons -

More Frunk and Trunk storage (I’m 6’7” and 300lbs and need all the storage space I can get.
    Motorised Adjustable screen
    Long floorboards so I can stretch out
    F3 style bars which I can adjust.
    Much sportier looking styling than the older RTs
    LED lighting
    2” more driver seating (+ extra passenger seating)
    Very easily removed trunk + different BRP trunk options available.

As to why BRP are releasing an F3 and RT that are fairly similar, who knows. You could speculate for ages and never come close to the real reason
    I do wonder though if they are looking for economies of scale.
    Ryker as their entry level, F3 as their sports level, and perhaps doing away with the F3-T and F3-L as anyone who wants those extra refinements can now get them in a 2020 RT with F3 looks.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The 2020 RT is bigger; longer, higher, wider and has more storage than the 2020 F3L

Oh and they look different too.
    Last edited by CopperSpyder; 12-26-2019 at 04:30 PM.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    The 2020 RT is bigger; longer, higher, wider and has more storage than the 2020 F3L
    Bingo, bingo, bingo, bingo, and bingo.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Heated bun warmer is standard. As are heated grips.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Several of these replies don't take into account that the OP said 2020RT. I'm withholding judgement until I see one in person - but believe with 2020 the line got very blurry between the two. I don't care for the looks of the 2020 RT at all in the pics - and like the body lines of the F3 better - but they seem to be very close ergo wise. If they are as close as they appear, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the F3L disappear from the line-up in the coming years.
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post

Oh and they look different too.
    . Also keep in mind that even though the top box may be nearly the same size, the side bags and trunk are way bigger on the RT than on the F3L. Consider the fact that the frunk on the RT can fit 2 full faced helmets and the F3 series can barely fit 1.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jdr00ejr View Post
    If they are as close as they appear, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the F3L disappear from the line-up in the coming years.
    I personally can’t see them getting rid of the sporty F3 models, Joshua......there’s a pretty good market for them from those who don’t want a smaller Ryker or a larger RT. I do think that they will phase out the F3 touring series though (F3-T and F3-L) as they are more of a luxury model, and that is now covered by the new RT.....which has some F3-L influences........but I HAVE been wrong before

In 12 months, (because it will probably be August before they make it out here) I will be riding a 2020 RT, without trunk....(providing I fit on it, of course )
    Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    I personally can’t see them getting rid of the sporty F3 models, Joshua......there’s a pretty good market for them from those who don’t want a smaller Ryker or a larger RT. I do think that they will phase out the F3 touring series though (F3-T and F3-L) as they are more of a luxury model, and that is now covered by the new RT.....
    This is exactly what I think! You just probably said it better than I did. And that opinion might change when I see the new RT in person. I'm an F3S kinda guy myself though. ;-)
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jdr00ejr View Post
    This is exactly what I think! You just probably said it better than I did. And that opinion might change when I see the new RT in person. I'm an F3S kinda guy myself though. ;-)
    Well that’s settled then, Joshua.......now that BRP realise we are on to them, I’m sure they will make the announcement post haste

.....and yeah, I do like the F3S, but I also like a few more creature comforts these days.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

I have been marinating over that possibility too, that BRP might 86 the F3L because both it and the 2020 RT might attract the same demographic.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome