Thread: ISCI Hand Brake

Spyder Garage

Default ISCI Hand Brake

Well, I had an ISCI delimna today. And I think I arrived at the correct conclusion. I had made arrangements from a vendor to hold a set of armrests NOS of the ISCI Armrests for the Spyder RS-S. Well I contacted the seller who agreed to hold it until today, I sent him 8 messages, not one reply, and he knew I would be reaching out to make payment today, the item is listed as sold now, and not one reply.

So. I have also been watching an ISCI Hand Brake Kit for the Can Am Spyder RS-S. Turns out a rider here in Colorado removed one they installed, and they dropped the price from 600 to 500 dollars this week. Being the hand brake is 1350 ish dollars (or would be with my punitive local taxes, yea I pay almost 11 percent local sales tax, internet enforced....) anyway, the hand brake is on the way here for 560 total. I get to FINALLY have the full road snowmobile ride sensation as snowmobiles do not have pedals, not for a shifter, and not for a brake, its all on the bar. It will be nice to have my left hand back for emergency braking. I have found that in sudden brake maneuvers here, I find myself pedal searching for the brake pedal, 2) I hate the parking brake and it will now be properly rigged with the hand brake mod I am doing, no more chincy foot E brake, its annoying sorry. I already disabled the ****ing beeper, hate that thing.

And I wont lie to you, braking into a Left Hand higher speed corner where braking is required? With the foot pedal only, that gets interesting, even in the "sport mode" riding peg position where the foot is glued to the brake MC style. Now I have the left hand brake in that described turn, and they happen here in the mountains, deer will come out of nowhere, and an Elk will ****ing kill you. I get to leave the RH foot on the board pushing off weight in tight LH corners, and I can hit the hand brake if I come around a corner to a deer or elk in the middle of the road. It happens often here, especially at night, so the Xenon headlight kit is next. Safety first, and the armrests can wait.

Anyway, I got a good deal on a used brake kit, and cant wait to get it installed. I will just have to keep an eye out for the arms, but I can always get these made as I do have local and other metal workers available to me. Seller is shipping on Friday, should only take 2 days from Denver, and one day to install. I will post pics as its mounted.
    Kraig B. Kumlin, M.M., M.C.P. (Retired)

Only Two States Left to Visit on MC or Trike, RI and CT
    2012 RS-S , Baja Ron Plug Wire Kit and NGK Iridium Plugs Grey and Black

Spyder Garage

It did not work out, and had to be returned. For an obsolete trike, is it worth 1350 to get a hand brake....no.....

Spyder Garage
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Summer work, but doable...hmmmm.....thank you....I sent what I got back, I just didnt think 550 dollars was fair for the piston and the MC and actually hand brake mount and brake handle. Thanks, I hope you do not mind if I repeat your work with my machinist buddy? Just for my use of course, and strictly one off on my Can Am. I like to ask, its your creativity after all.

Spyder Garage

If it's me you're asking, it ain't my project but PB's. He posted the process for general use I believe.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Handbrake,
    an old issue but still necessary at least for me.

Boy how time flies.

I made several prototypes early on when I got my first Spyder in 2008.

After I found the combination that worked I put it on spyderlovers for others to duplicate as a home project.

I've had 4 Spyders now and every single one of them had a handbrake. I got a 2020 RT ordered and as soon as it
    gets here I plan to put a handbrake on it also. I've already purchased the components.

I've been to the factory three times and talk to their engineers and they still say is not necessary. And maybe for
    95% of the people using it it's not. But I still like it on handlebars and can access it so quickly so much faster
    then my feet.

When I moved from two wheels to three in 2008 I couldn't deal with it without my handbrake. With highway pegs
    on my spyder and my foot so far away from the brake pedal a handbrake just seems so logical.

The hydraulic handbrake system works well. The only custom thing you have to make is the clevis I have yet to find one
    that would fit. In thousands and thousands of miles I've never had a problem with this set up.

When I install it on my new RT 2020 I will post the pictures here. For me the handbrake is necessary.

Nexus

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...tive-to-Cables

Spyder Garage

I really miss the hand brake, it was such a central part of my bike riding. I know its something I will likely take on in the spring. Right now we are in our bad part of winter, and I am just staying warm this year.