Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Question regarding valve checks...

Okay, so at 6250 I had the valves checked and of course they were okay. Since then I have managed to get the Spyder up to pretty close to 15K on the ODO without another valve check. I had planned on getting it done again at the 15K mark (it's going into service in a few weeks from now) and I was wondering what you all think about maybe just letting the valve clearance check go until we get back from our trip in September when the ODO will be about 20K - 21K? It's going to need to go in for the 18K service at that time anyway.

I'm thinking that might be a lot of miles to go between checks, but I know my way around a motor and to me a valve clearance check every 6K miles seems excessive.... I'm thinking it should be closer to every 15K or so.

What are you're opinions regarding this service? I'm not really hip to paying the dealer 2.5 hours labor for them to just go in there, check them, and say that they are okay (even though I do understand the necessity).

Discuss.
    2008 GS , ISCI Quantum Blue

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderGirl View Post
    Okay, so at 6250 I had the valves checked and of course they were okay. Since then I have managed to get the Spyder up to pretty close to 15K on the ODO without another valve check. I had planned on getting it done again at the 15K mark (it's going into service in a few weeks from now) and I was wondering what you all think about maybe just letting the valve clearance check go until we get back from our trip in September when the ODO will be about 20K - 21K? It's going to need to go in for the 18K service at that time anyway.

I'm thinking that might be a lot of miles to go between checks, but I know my way around a motor and to me a valve clearance check every 6K miles seems excessive.... I'm thinking it should be closer to every 15K or so.

What are you're opinions regarding this service? I'm not really hip to paying the dealer 2.5 hours labor for them to just go in there, check them, and say that they are okay (even though I do understand the necessity).

Discuss.
    Personally, FWIW, I would be inclined to let it slide until returning from Gatlinburg.

Bruce

Spyder Garage

I have mine checked at 6K and they were fine - I'm at 11,000 miles now and will wait until 21 or 24K before having them checked again.

If I had to do it again I would have checked them at 12K, 24K, etc...... instead.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Seems like you guys are thinking like me. I think I am going to save myself the $$ now and just hold off until I get back.
    2008 GS , ISCI Quantum Blue

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I thought it was at 6k then next check was due at 18k
    After that every 12k miles as scheduled maintence.
    I could be wrong but that is what I remember for scheduled maintence.
    But as always do what you feel comfortable with.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator
    Spyder Garage

I'm covered by a service plan and the mechanic did the valve clearance check at every 6k for the first year. Lately BRP change the requirements to 12k. First close to the limit valve clearance was at 42k when all 4 exhausts valves where shimmed.
    My advice: check the clearance by the book and make sure the service has the shim kit (10 mm), otherwise plan a 2 weeks’ vacation without your Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    I'm covered by a service plan and the mechanic did the valve clearance check at every 6k for the first year. Lately BRP change the requirements to 12k. First close to the limit valve clearance was at 42k when all 4 exhausts valves where shimmed.
    My advice: check the clearance by the book and make sure the service has the shim kit (10 mm), otherwise plan a 2 weeks’ vacation without your Spyder.
    I have yet to get the valves checked and am at 6,600 miles if i'm reading this right BRP is now saying I dont need them checked until I reach 12,000 miles ? Or after the first check then every 12,000 ?

Spyder Garage

Pretty sure the owners manual says every 6,000 miles.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Looks like the first one should be at 6000, then every 12,000 afterwards.

From the '09 owners guide:

Spyder Garage

I don't intend to have my valve clearances checked until I have something like 50,000 to 60,000 miles on the Spyder. It will take that long for the clearances to get out of tolerance according to a trusted motorcycle mechanic who knows the Rotax engine very well.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder1026 View Post
    I don't intend to have my valve clearances checked until I have something like 50,000 to 60,000 miles on the Spyder. It will take that long for the clearances to get out of tolerance according to a trusted motorcycle mechanic who knows the Rotax engine very well.
    You may want to get the initial check done so you dont void the warranty down the road if a problem does occur.After the first check I agree with you as far as the service interval maybe not 50,000 but not every 5000.