Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Spyder Garage

30 years of satellite alignment experience getting in the way of my understanding this.

3mm is a distance and not an angle. It is a different angle depending on the length of the baseline or wheel diameter if you like. Please supply the necessary baseline length for this to be meaningful or express it in degrees.
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011
    2011 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eckhard View Post
    30 years of satellite alignment experience getting in the way of my understanding this.

3mm is a distance and not an angle. It is a different angle depending on the length of the baseline or wheel diameter if you like. Please supply the necessary baseline length for this to be meaningful or express it in degrees.
    270mm vertical leg (long leg) of the right triangle, hypotenuse length is not critical, merely provides the intersection point for the short leg length. Could be horizontal in your case as you are looking down to sort toe setting.

in post 84, I had a full chart of camber degrees to linear dimension corrections. I dumbed it down a bit as there may have been too much info for readers.

The post 84 info works whether the triangle leg is vertical or horizontal. Vertical is camber, horizontal is toe.

Spyder Garage

I did the same thing and it works great.
    2018 Spyder RT Limited SE6
    2013 Spyder RTS SE5
    2004 GOLDWING
    2012 Suzuki Burgman
    2001 Honda Silverwing
    1999 Honda Helix
    1976 Goldwing
    1982 Honda Silverwing
    1972 Honda 500 four

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eckhard View Post

0° +/-0.2° in the 2013 service manual. Probably still the same for latest models. The area of strong disagreement between all the alignment folks here and BRP is the fact that you can have some toe-out and still be in spec. Experience has shown that any toe-out is detrimental to steering.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post
    Since I do all my own work, I built my own laser alignment system, based on plans found here, with some modifications. http://www.lindsayroland.com/spyder/...-DIY-gear.html
    I built the same system as Jetfixer and it works great
    2018 Spyder RT Limited SE6
    2013 Spyder RTS SE5
    2004 GOLDWING
    2012 Suzuki Burgman
    2001 Honda Silverwing
    1999 Honda Helix
    1976 Goldwing
    1982 Honda Silverwing
    1972 Honda 500 four

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    IMHO, the engineers at BRP have taken all this into consideration in the suspension design..... Yes it could have been designed to consider ALL the possibilities. … but 99% of the buyers couldn't afford to buy it then, so yes there have been compromises …. bottom line - it works. ….. Mike
    Mike, are these the same engineers at BRP that say that the 2 ply crapola tires are good for our Spyders?

Dean Secord AKA seaweed
    Veteran: U.S. Air Force
    2015 RT-S SE6

My Mods:
    TricLed Turn Signal, Squared Away Sept, 2016,SpyderPops Bump Skid, SpyderPops Missing Rock Guard, ION camera, Show Chrome Back Rest,
    Show Chrome Hitch. Leesure-lite trailer, Hopnel 850 Saddlebag Liners, Hopnel 3 piece lid netset - trunk and saddlebags
    Magic Brake Strobe/Flasher, DIY LED light strips on upper and lower A frames, BlueKnight911 Magic Mirrors,
    DIY superior grill, USB port, Hwy pegs, DIY Flag mounts for USA and US Air Force flags,
    Method to open Frunk and seat without using key, LED headlights and LED fog lights, turn signal switch safety mod

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Here are three bits of the factory prescribed procedure from the 2013 RT service manual. The first two deal with locking the handlebar.

These instructions aren't in the 2014 service manual but I think that's because the 2014 manual was more or less an addendum to the 2013 manual. Another instruction I have here is the factory method calls for the shocks to be replaced with alignment links during the alignment process. That indicates that BRP does not regard variations in toe-in caused by rider weight, etc., to be significant enough to be accounted for.
    Thanks IdahoMtnSpyder, I did not see this in my 2015 manual (but I have not read it completely from front to back). I have witnessed a few + alignments but have not seen using that measurement method for handlebars nor locking of the of the handlebars using a Pitman arm locking tool.

I had a brief conversation with Spyderpops one time and he said that the measurement method of aligning the handlebars should be used and he hinted of setting the toe in based on the weight of the ryder.

Dean Secord AKA seaweed
    Veteran: U.S. Air Force
    2015 RT-S SE6

My Mods:
    TricLed Turn Signal, Squared Away Sept, 2016,SpyderPops Bump Skid, SpyderPops Missing Rock Guard, ION camera, Show Chrome Back Rest,
    Show Chrome Hitch. Leesure-lite trailer, Hopnel 850 Saddlebag Liners, Hopnel 3 piece lid netset - trunk and saddlebags
    Magic Brake Strobe/Flasher, DIY LED light strips on upper and lower A frames, BlueKnight911 Magic Mirrors,
    DIY superior grill, USB port, Hwy pegs, DIY Flag mounts for USA and US Air Force flags,
    Method to open Frunk and seat without using key, LED headlights and LED fog lights, turn signal switch safety mod

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    Mike, are these the same engineers at BRP that say that the 2 ply crapola tires are good for our Spyders?
    ABSOLUTELY ………… my point was more towards, the suspension is what it is , built by engineers that had to consider cost as an important factor..... there are suspensions today that will change if you get out and go to the bathroom and come back and start driving …. But Spyders aren't in that category ......………...…….Mike

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    2 ply crapola tires
    I think you meant to say "Krapenda", right?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)