Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Tom Tom Rider 550

I have always had tom toms for my car and now see that the Tom Tom Rider 550 is on sale for $239 - originally $399. Anyone using this unit?
    2019 RT Limited , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Where did you see it on sale? I was going to buy one in the new year. Thanks.
    --
    Bob L.
    Worcester County Massachusetts
    www.rk-mass2.org

Spyder Garage

I'll be sticking with my Garmin 50LM for a good while. Paid for and simple

Spyder Garage

I'm on their email distribution list. Check their web site.
    2019 RT Limited , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I had a rider 400 that stopped working because of internal moisture. Got a new 550 for $244 mid October. I was able to download all of my places and routes from my MYDRIVE, I still download map updates through my computer and not the new units WIFI.

T.P.

Spyder Garage

I had a Rider 400 for a few years for my other bike. It was a good GPS with lots of features. Sold the bike and the TomTom. Several months ago I decided to get rid of the Garmin 660 and upgrade to the TomTom Rider 550! WOW what an improvement. It is a great GPS device and is really fast. It has lots of features that I will never use like the phone connections/texting/hands free calling, etc. but it is a wonderful addition to my RT. I placed it on the top of the dash, so I can see it better than the old 660. The ability to update through WiFi without hooking to the computer is a big plus for me. Connecting to the phone/WiFi tether makes getting traffic and road conditions on most of the places I ryde easy to obtain.

I use Tyre on the PC to create routes (ITN not GPX). I just copy them to a flash drive and plug the drive into the slot on the Rider 550 and upload them. I also used Tyre to make a POI file of "places to go for RTE" and load them using the MyDrive app. Simple and easy to update. I would never go back to the garmin. The only thing that the 660 had that is missing from the 550 is the altimeter and compass. I can live without them.
    2011 RT-S , Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bike-O-Din View Post
    I had a Rider 400 for a few years for my other bike. It was a good GPS with lots of features. Sold the bike and the TomTom. Several months ago I decided to get rid of the Garmin 660 and upgrade to the TomTom Rider 550! WOW what an improvement. It is a great GPS device and is really fast. It has lots of features that I will never use like the phone connections/texting/hands free calling, etc. but it is a wonderful addition to my RT. I placed it on the top of the dash, so I can see it better than the old 660. The ability to update through WiFi without hooking to the computer is a big plus for me. Connecting to the phone/WiFi tether makes getting traffic and road conditions on most of the places I ryde easy to obtain.

I use Tyre on the PC to create routes (ITN not GPX). I just copy them to a flash drive and plug the drive into the slot on the Rider 550 and upload them. I also used Tyre to make a POI file of "places to go for RTE" and load them using the MyDrive app. Simple and easy to update. I would never go back to the garmin. The only thing that the 660 had that is missing from the 550 is the altimeter and compass. I can live without them.
    Are you still using Tyre? I thought they had been superseded by the new system and wasn't active any more.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Yep, still using Tyre. There is a new "app" called MyRoute that is completely cloud based. It is OK, the I like the old Tyre better - maybe cause I am familiar with it. It is no longer a subscription based application. You can download the final version and use it free!! http://www.tyretotravel.com/download-tyre/
    2011 RT-S , Silver

Spyder Garage

OOPS, I almost forgot one of the best features of the Rider 550. It can plan routes that they call thrill rides that chooses twisty roads and avoids interstates. You simply pick a destination and let it "Plan A Thrill." It works pretty well, and makes for some adventures that I would not have picked myself. You can do this to a specific place, or just a round trip from your current starting location. All of this is done on the device and can be done pretty much on-the-fly. No need to connect to the phone or pc to make this work. I often drive to a place of interest (probably a ride-to-eat location), and then let the Rider figure out a "thrill ride" back home.

Enjoy,

MrBill
    2011 RT-S , Silver

Spyder Garage

Ive been watching for a sale on trhe tomtom 550 my self and havent seen a sale price yet who is offering it

Spyder Garage

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage
    --
    Bob L.
    Worcester County Massachusetts
    www.rk-mass2.org

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I've no idea how the phone app compares to a dedicated Tom Tom GPS, but the Sygic phone app uses Tom Tom maps. If you prefer TT maps over the ones Garmin uses then consider the Sygic smartphone app. I've been using it for several years, mostly on a tablet, and have been quite satisfied with it.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Rt gps for 2020

I would also like to know if there are mounting plates available to mount tomtom 550 on the new 2020 spyder rt

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dodgedad View Post
    I would also like to know if there are mounting plates available to mount tomtom 550 on the new 2020 spyder rt
    Certainly not anything available as Original Equipment from BRP! But I reckon Lamonster Garage probably has something aftermarket that'll work!

There's a link labelled 'Spyder Store' first in the list up the top of the main Index page - lotsa goodies in there!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

There is mounting hardware included in the box, Will mount to your handle bars

T.P.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snakeyes View Post
    I have always had tom toms for my car and now see that the Tom Tom Rider 550 is on sale for $239 - originally $399. Anyone using this unit?
    I have one, but I am sure I paid more than that.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Any mounting plate for the F3 (UFit system) will fit on the 2020 RT.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

still using the 400, works great

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

TomTom Go on any smartphone is $40. Still supported compared to Garmin which is no longer available for smart devices.

153CA18B-F247-4AED-ADFA-BFD8E315809A.jpg
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

I would really like to add the tom tom 550 in the center spot on handle bars,so will need a mount for it

Spyder Garage

If the 2020 RT h-bars are the same as the F3, this should work. I have one on my F3-S and really like it..
    https://spyderextras.com/shop/detail...-USB-1-12-Volt

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Its hard to tell, but the bar center mount looks the same as the earlier RTs and the F3. If so, the mount at the link below is nicely made and should fit any standard GPS bracket. I have on mine and like it.
    http://www.lamonstergarage.com/can-a...cle-lamonster/
    2018 RT , Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I’ve been seriously looking at the Rider 550, but not sure how to mount it on my 2014 RT. I’ve contacted RAM and they tell me that they do NOT have a cradle for the 550. Not sure if I would trust an “X” grip. Suggestions?

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    I’ve been seriously looking at the Rider 550, but not sure how to mount it on my 2014 RT. I’ve contacted RAM and they tell me that they do NOT have a cradle for the 550. Not sure if I would trust an “X” grip. Suggestions?
    Rider 550 comes with ram ball clamp. All you need is a standard ram ball. I’ve got one on my 2014 rts, very happy with it.

0B82ED7E-0C51-4366-948A-EAD56E684B8A.jpg
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White