Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Next Evolution of the Ryker

900 Ace Turbo right from the sled to the Ryker..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLXO...qYdrnBuktj%3A6

Spyder Garage

A good idea. Don't hold your breath. They seem to be very conservative with road going machines.
    2019 Rally , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Some how, I have my doubts, with the 900, you can darn near spin the rear tire off.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

It already seems like a pretty high RPM machine for the street. Just my opinion. Mine has plenty of get up and go, and I doubt I will have the need for any speed in excess 100mph. I think that I already contribute enough of my money to the oil industry when I am at the gas pumps. And the Ryker hardly seems like a drag strip vehicle. But, like I said this is just my opinion.

Spyder Garage

MDLNB
    AGREE most assuredly!
    "IT'S BETTER TO BE SHOT OUT OF A CANNON THAN SQUEEZED OUT OF A TUBE"-Dr. HS Thompson

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

LOL...I think you guys are looking for the RT forum..............................

Spyder Garage

New 2020 Rally owner in North Carolina... ~700 miles. Agree, power is more than sufficient and just in Sport Mode can already drift from stops, U-turns, etc. Tons of fun! Not sure a turbo is needed on the road for these small machines but will be interested to keep an eye on for 1) if possible without significant body work (is there enough room in current engine design for "bolt on", 2) what else is needed with fuel/air component changes?, and 3) of course price. Edit - might be easier to boost the 600? lol

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The turbo for the 900 Ace is not a bolt on. The engine itself has different internals to allow for the increase in power. That said the 900 Ace and 900 Ace turbo have the exact same external envelope (except the turbo of course) so the 900 Ace turbo can be placed in the same location as the 900 Ace. There just has to be physical room for the turbo to fit in the bodywork and match up to the air ducting. In the snowmobile you just choose which engine option you want (900 Ace or 900 Ace turbo). The cost difference is about $1500.

The only real physical changes that may be required on a Ryker having the 900 Ace turbo is bodywork modification on the airbox side and the air ducting. I have no idea if changes would be required? BRP may have designed the bodywork and airbox so the turbo would fit the current design. The CVT will be fine since its the same as the Sled/Quad CVT that already allows the 900Ace Turbo.

It's a no brainer on BRP's part. Drop an already existing engine in an already existing model that has already been designed to accept that engine. Super easy to create another Ryker model variant and charge $1500 more for it.

At least that's my minority opinion

Spyder Garage

I agree Rob. It is the next logical step for BRP. Lets call it the Ryker RS (Rally Sport). I won't be waiting for the new releases in September. My plan is to start a Mod Ryker build on a 2020 900 ace non Rally real soon.
    Don't Buy it if you can't sell it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MaxRotax View Post
    I agree Rob. It is the next logical step for BRP. Lets call it the Ryker RS (Rally Sport). I won't be waiting for the new releases in September. My plan is to start a Mod Ryker build on a 2020 900 ace non Rally real soon.
    Nice! You should start a thread about it so we can follow along. If things go well we might see a bunch of people doing it rather than waiting for BRP. I just can't believe they wouldn't do it. Its easy money for them.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post
    ........... If things go well we might see a bunch of people doing it rather than waiting for BRP.......
    It took a couple of years, but that's pretty much how the RT Spyders came about!

The GS/RS spyders were released first, back in 2008, then once they'd spent some time on them, a fair few BRP Spyder Customers/Owners started modding their Spyders with 'touring conveniences' like foot boards, bigger & more upright windshields, handlebar risers, panniers, and top boxes.... effectively making their 'Sporty Spyders' into a much more comfortable RT style tourer! It took quite a few Spyder Ryders doing that before BRP did get around to releasing their own interpretations of Spyders with some (the ST) or all of those 'touring conveniences' (the RT) and the RT very quickly became their top seller!

After a few more years, the F3's initially answered the demand for a cruiser style 'naked bike', only once again the very popular Touring mods and the demand for a fully dressed Limited version by their customers saw that model range expand too!! So much so that it seems the 'naked' entry level F3's aren't selling anywhere near as well as the more up-market versions, with the Ryker models meeting the needs of those looking for cheaper &/or sportier machines! And those Rykers came about at least partially due to the call for a cheaper sportier model that had some credibility as a machine not phased by dirt roads, so it seemed that BRP had finally started to really LISTEN to their customers!

Sadly, I think it might take a fair few Ryker Ryders doing those 'Rally Sport' type mods before BRP will sit up and take any real notice, but I could be wrong..... After all, I was Pretty Damn Sure that they'd pay attention to all the people calling for a better alternative to the Crappy Kendas tires, and do something about that woeful excuse for a black round thing that can barely keep the metal bits off the road, or AT LEAST they'd listen to all the negative feedback and admit that the Kendas weren't the bees knees they were trying to con us into believing they were, and let Dealers fit some real tires instead..... But NO, despite the ongoing negative publicity & the damage to their credibility re the Kendas, here we are, more than 10 years down track, and they STILL haven't listened to their customers on that one!!

So don't hold your breath hanging out for BRP to release a Ryker RS..... it's pretty obvious that BRP is selectively & profoundly deaf on some things and besides, it'll almost certainly take a few years even if you are lucky enough that they do actually listen!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-04-2020 at 12:37 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I think a "Turbo" would make the engine too strong for the Ryker like it is now, without new front-tires it would be dangerous..
    some of the European Dealers offer a mapping with 95 HP (500,- ) which makes a lot of difference on lower RPMs ..( I tested it - feels much stronger than the original)
    But I would also prefer a "longer" translated drive shaft for my "2up-tourning" Version ..
    (more than 10.000 miles - still no Problems with it !!!)
    so lets hope that someone finds a tire-solution for the front !!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

Instead of a turbo I would rather see an overdrive option for the transmission...maybe an optional switch that would only work when the speed of the ryker is over 60mph. Pushing a button that would drop rpms down for highway cruising. Once the speed drops below, say 50mph, it would automatically drop out of overdrive.

Spyder Garage

Snow machines can get away with a significantly smaller intercooler than street machines. Imagine that beast in a Phoenix summer.
    2023 Plasma Red F3 Limited
    2020 Ryker Rally.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by old Timer View Post
    Some how, I have my doubts, with the 900, you can darn near spin the rear tire off.
    Do they not make wider tires or softer compounds?

A turbo is the next logical step and will help top end greatly.