Spyder Garage

Default Change spark plugs

Hello i have a 20011 can-am spider rt i just replaced the battery the bike has been siting for 5 months bike starts it has very little gas when i whent to for a ride to get gas it stalled a couple of times idling at a stop so turned around and whent home what could it be spark plugs or gas? help. Brian thanks
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-19-2019 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Change not chamge

Spyder Garage

Older v-twin s often have vacuum leaks in the two short hoses leading to the throttle bodies. Easy to check while the tupperware is off.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

thanks not sure what you are saying tupperware is off Also it did not do it 5 months ago lol . did you ever use sea foam gas treatment may be moioture in th old gas

Spyder Garage

Was it running rough before it stalled? If so could be the vaccum hoses, or the spark plugs and plug wires.
    If it was running fine, but just stalled then I would put your money on fuel, and/or fuel filter. Today's fuels deteriorate quickly. So if you had a small amount of untreated fuel setting for 5 months than that would be my first guess at the issue
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Very little gas in a metal tank for 5 months. You live in a very high humid moist area and the temperatures have been very high and have now got pretty low that will cause a fair amount of condensation (water in your gas). I would Start with the gas using a tank of high test 93. If you still have issues then what Lew Said. Tupperware is what we call the plastic body panels. The vacuum hoses are very small about 1/8 and will cause the same problem you describe when they dry out and crack. Good luck with the fix.

Do try and get the bad fuel out before adding the good fuel, water will always sit at the lowest point and the fuel will float.
    Last edited by CopperSpyder; 12-19-2019 at 05:23 PM.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

thank you so much talk soon later

Spyder Garage

Whenever hibernating a vehicle, fill the tank full and add the required amount of a brand name fuel stabilizer. That way, it Will be all through the fuel system. This is done for reasons mentioned previously AND gasoline does deteriorate. Use a stabilizer that deals with the ethanol in the gas.
    If you don't have one, get a battery maintainer such as a Battery Tender. That's an automatic trickle charger. They keep your battery's voltage at a correct level and only charge (at a low amperage rate) as needed. Batteries lose about 10% of their charge each month.
    If your vacuum hoses are intact, then your problem is crappy gas that has lost its volatility and may have water in it due to condensation that also rusts your tank.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Leaving the tank low on fuel for 5 months is asking for trouble.
    Fill to the top after adding a double dose of Marine StaBil, and if you have it in your area, ethanol free fuel.
    Fuel today is terrible. The ethanol absorbs water right out of the air, and the cracked components in fuel have a tendency to sour pretty quickly.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Gas Tank

Today's Ethanol Gas is still a major problem for Spyder's metal Gas Tank. Ethanol draws moisture from the atmosphere and causes the Tank to Rust. As others have said add some type of fuel stabilizer and fill the tank....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

hello its brian again replaced all the gas with 94 oc,bike ran for 5 or 6 mins and shut off with a notice check engine help

Spyder Garage

Relax, they are picky, mine threw check engines for about two weeks after I drained the gas, and did the tune up, its just cleared up. You may need to get the code that comes with the check engine light and read the codes or give it to us here. I ran into another code issue when I did my Power Commander Five, but that was all my fault. But time and a good healthy throttle active run where you get it to full operating temp is in order too. I use Seafoam also, but only as recommended on the bottle, do not go dumping half a can in the tank, that can cause a lot of issues. I forget what the ratio is, but I use 2 to 3 tablespoons in a 4 plus gallon tank like on my Beemer On/Off bike, and I used 3 tablespoons in the Can Am, yes, I found my service note, when I rode it home after I purchased it. I also did the Iridium Plugs, and Baja Ron Wire Kit, but I am very anal on my bikes and daily drivers.
    2012 RS-S , Baja Ron Plug Wire Kit and NGK Iridium Plugs Grey and Black

Spyder Garage

And my toys get Seafoam treatments in every first tank of spring fuel. The good rule of thumb is if you can smell the seafoam, its working, and use it sparingly. Its like changing the PH in water when making chemicals. You dont need many chemicals to change PH, and too much can DEFINITELY do harm. Seafoam attacks the BLACK hoses, and yes, it can eat into Ethanol rated lines if over-concentrated, its very destructive to BLACK non ethanol seals, which exist all over EVERY MC brand, so just follow the can directions. Sorry, but I used to make a LOT of money repairing carbs of MC owners that used toooo much Seafoam, so be careful.

Spyder Garage

Ohh, almost forgot, if you are at seal level ( I noticed the surfside beach entry), 91 to 92 octane is plenty for the Can Am, too much octane can through sensor errors too, it the mixture becomes too rich and is sensed at the O2 sensor. Just blend out the 94 with standard Premium, and you will be fine there. But I live and ride at 7000 feet frequently, and I burn 89 octane because its the same as burning 92 octane at my altitude, just a tip is all.

Spyder Garage

i just check by runing the bike again shut off again chack engine light did not see any code ,i now have 6 gal,s 2 of 94 oc and 3 gals of 93oc oc i will drain 2 or more gals and put back in 81 or less oc i guess. hey i have 2 gals of old gas i can,t use its 5 months old lol do you know what i can do with it

Spyder Garage

sarry to keep bothering every one i just check by runing the bike again shut off again chack engine light did not see any code ,i now have 6 gal,s 2 of 94 oc and 3 gals of 93oc oc i will drain 2 or more gals and put back in 86 or less oc i guess.after replacing the gas this time it shut off and a symbol appeared not chack engine not sure what it was it look like mabe water or oil symbol just not sure HELP

Spyder Garage

The codes will not come up by themselves ! You will have to retrieve them. Do a search of you don't know how.

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Spyder Garage

can you tell me how THANKS

Spyder Garage

To retrieve the code, toggle the mode switch till you come to total hrs, hold mode button in and hit the high beam flasher five times within two seconds. Your code should come up with a letter and numbers. Then report back here what you get and members here with tell you what they mean. Good luck
    Last edited by Big Arm; 12-22-2019 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Spelling

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big Arm View Post
    To retrieve the code, toggle the mode switch till you come to total hrs, hold mode button in and hit the high beam flasher five times within two seconds. Your code should come up with a letter and numbers. Then report back here what you get and members here with tell you what they mean. Good luck
    thank you for the info i tryed no luck well, some one on you tube said to do it one other way also no luck ,i just dont understand hope to talk soon later. m,c ,h,n.y

Spyder Garage

When was fuel filter changed, if ever? Max is like 5 years ethanol issues aside.
    Plugs may be replaced, healthy all around tune up good every now & then anyway, so while your at it get all of it fuel & air filters, plugs & wires. Upgrade the vacuum hoses to hi temp silicone hoses. think the same size hoses are available NAPA just get same length.
    Don’t forget inspecting & cleaning the throttle body & air filter box, often easily overlooked tasking. in doing all this you will probably end up moving the charcoal canister of the fuel evap system. If it feels like has fluid inside it’s gas (from over filling)& usually leaves fuel smells after rides. But can also cause stalling & other issues. Even in syphoning old fuel out unfortunately there is enough in the system to be purged, might have some odd smells when it does crank , but will dissipate & should get running fine.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Thanks a lot for all your help I will do so soon I have service manual coming in the mail I only have a owner's manual so will know what panels to take off later.

Spyder Garage

thinks again happy new year to ALL