Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Limp home mode 2017 F3L - Update: Fixed (I hope!)

OK, so here I set as the owner of a 2017 F3L with 20,000 + miles and it now rest in a spyder shop
    a little bit broke. Couple of weeks ago I got a message saying for me to limp home which I did. Being
    a old hot rodder I spent several days trying to determine what could be wrong. No luck at all on that.
    The limp home message did go away but I had a noise coming from the engine area. To the shop it
    went. Wednesday brought the message that the front drive belt pulley was bad and needed to be replaced.
    Amazing, 20K miles and a drive pulley is bad. May the Lord bless me for the thoughts that past thru
    my head. Hopefully things will go good now. If not, a new RT or Goldwing will be setting here.
    MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL.

Dray
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-14-2020 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Threads merged to show/follow complete saga. ;-)

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

That is an odd one for sure. But hopefully its still under warrantee. Merry Christmas And I wish you a great year ahead. Live to Ride, Ride to Live
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

The limp home has nothing to do with the front pulley. That is a separate issue. The front pulleys on all F3 models have been prone to failure because the hard drive shaft wears away the teeth on the pulley. It is an easy fix at your dealer and should be covered under warranty. BRP has not been able or willing to come up with a harder metal for the pulley. My front pulley has been replaced twice.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Agree.....Limp home, whole different problem...
    Just replaced mine this summer, but the cause was from drag racing at Spyderfest. Replaced the pulley, the bolt and washer for $120 from cheapcycleparts.com. Torqued to 92lbs, but mine is an '08 GS.

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Spyder Garage

Did the shop tell you anything about pulling codes from the vehicle using B.U.D.S.?
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

BUDs did not show any codes at all. The dealer is a friend and I do not believe he is messing with me.
    I will give him a call just to double check.
    Thanks everyone!!

Dray

Spyder Garage

So on Tuesday I went and picked up my 2017 F3L. Took it out for a road test and everything went very well.
    Loaded it up on my trailer, went and paid my bill. Had a good chat with the tech and he had double checked
    and verified that there were NO messages. There were some software upgrades done. Oil, filter and Tranny filter
    were changed out. Got home and went for a 50 mile trip. The bike does run smoother, revs easier and seems
    to have a tad more power. A happy camper am I. Brought the bad drive gear home and it had rounded burrs
    on end of small splines. There were worn areas around the flange that was caused by gear movement and drive
    belt. They have not received their 2020 bikes yet. We are waiting to see. I have made several changes to my 2017
    that I am happy with so changing to a 2020 will take some thinking on my part. My wife does like the pics she has seen
    and told me to get it. Time will tell,

Dray

Spyder Garage

Default limping (maybe) 2017 F3L - Update: Fixed (I hope)

O.K., here I am again. I picked my bike up ( Friday, not Tuesday-old age maybe) and took it
    out Saturday for a short ride and everything was good (ha). Went down to shop today to clean the
    bike and polish some chrome. Woe is me because the belt on the rear drive pulley is riding about
    1/2" off the inside flange and hanging off the pulley. so tomorrow I will call the cycle place and take
    it back to get it fixed. Wife just walked by and said go get a 2020 RT or a Goldwing.

Dray
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-14-2020 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Update thread merged so it's all in one place

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Sounds like a simple belt adjustment. You also should ask them to check the front drive pulley, some have failed.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I think your wife is right, If my wife said that Wow 2020 RTL would be in my future!!
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Front pulley was bad and was replaced. Tech did not do the alignment procedure.
    Amazing to me.

Dray

Spyder Garage

Well, the outside edge of belt had the rubber worn off right down to bright polished medal. New belt should
    be in today and hopefully I get the bike back tomorrow or Tuesday. waiting for him to get in the 2020's. He
    did order one in my favorite red color.

Dray

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Here's a treat

to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Default Limping fixed (I hope)

I never thought that this would become so involved. I took the bike back to the shop and the work begin.
    Reset everything to good, drove it, belt moved over. Research time !! New belt and same problem. Research
    again and pulled rear tire and the problem was discovered. One axle wheel bearing was pretty much locked
    up and the other one was well on its way to locking down. I tend to believe that when I had the car tire installed
    the bearings were torqued down to tight and this caused the problem. Hopefully everything is fixed. New front
    pulley, new belt and two new rear axle bearings. Hopefully there is a 2020 RT in my future. Time will tell.

Dray

Spyder Garage

Year, mileage and model would help to fill us in.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

I hope you changed three bearings

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Spyder Garage

If the spacer #32 or spacer #12 is missing the problem will happen again quickly. 2 #33 and one #34 double.

Attached Images Attached Images
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Profile says: 2017 F3L

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Agree that if all spacers are installed, meaning correctly installed, it is not truly possible to over tighten the axle and crush the bearings. In theory though, if someone tightened it way over spec it might crush the spacer, but that seems kind of remote. Pretty certain the cast light alloy adjusters would crush before crushing the steel spacers and bearings.

Interesting though.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Profile says: 2017 F3L
    Dumb question.....I don't see that. Do I need Some Flash Gordon x-ray vision glasses?
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Dumb question.....I don't see that. Do I need Some Flash Gordon x-ray vision glasses?
    Click on the person's name. Click on "view profile." It will take you to their "home" page. Click on the "About Me" tab. There is usually a description of current rides.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-16-2020 at 11:12 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I've got bad knees. I've been in 'Limp Mode' for years. Maybe getting hooked up to BUDS!?
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

After reading the other responses and possibilities, I'm inclined to think maybe the biggest issue is the Tech who worked on your Spyder ….. hope it was under warranty ….. jmho …. and if the dealer claims it was the auto tire that caused the problem - I would run from that Dealer …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    After reading the other responses and possibilities, I'm inclined to think maybe the biggest issue is the Tech who worked on your Spyder ….. hope it was under warranty ….. jmho …. and if the dealer claims it was the auto tire that caused the problem - I would run from that Dealer …. Mike
    I really wish dealerships would just go with the truth and let the chips fall where they may. BRP dealership told me my aftermarket cruise control destroyed my DPS! Seriously?! My 1st DPS was DOA! That's why it took me so long to realize it was bad. It never worked so I did not notice any change. They could accuse me of being ignorant. But my adding cruise control had nothing to do with an already dead DPS. I am still wondering where they pulled that advise from.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I really wish dealerships would just go with the truth and let the chips fall where they may. BRP dealership told me my aftermarket cruise control destroyed my DPS! Seriously?! My 1st DPS was DOA! That's why it took me so long to realize it was bad. It never worked so I did not notice any change. They could accuse me of being ignorant. But my adding cruise control had nothing to do with an already dead DPS. I am still wondering where they pulled that advise from.
    It is common to include the first mention of an acronym in a text be fully written out after which the acronym itself can be used freely. Excuse my failing to know what a DPS is. Thanks.