Spyder Garage

Default Changed my DPS unit

Changed my Dynamic Power Steering unit a few days ago. About a month ago, I got check engine light and limp home mode light. Pulled up codes P0551 and P0552, which says, "torque sensor open, damaged DPS, External troubleshooting not possible".
    Being that my Spyder is a 2008, GS, premier edition, I know they had recalls on some of the first ones, because of the DPS problems, but I never had a problem till now. Spyder drove ok, I just didn't have power steering.
    I came across a couple that had just bought a crashed Spyder, to repair their Spyder that had been rear ended. I was able to purchase the DPS unit, and removed it in about an hr and a half. So a little over a week ago I installed it in mine. Didn't have any problems. I removed the 40 amp and 5amp fuses, removed the trunk, disconnect the steering angle sensor, the three cables to the steering unit, grd wire, and cable support, the bolt on the steering shaft, and the four main bolts holding the unit to the frame. To make it easier wiggling it out of the Spyder, I also removed the cover on the lower right "A" arm. Reassembling was just the opposite. Total time was approx 4 hrs. All codes cleared, and took for test ride.
    A shout out to cptjam (Joe) and SpyderAnn01 (Ann) for the lead on the purchase of the other DPS unit,
    Otherwise I would have just rode without the use of DPS.
    [] 20191217_144013.jpg20191217_144145.jpg

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Spyder Garage

Is this a comon occurance on the older models? I have a 2011 RT with 4500 miles and the "DPS" code came ON today while on a ride followed by a "Limp Mode " Code. I was able to pull over and stop the motor, waited 20 seconds and restarted after 20 seconds and everything was fine all the way home. So, what is the cause of this Code?mechanical failure of a component or Computer signal issue. I can not believe these parts fail after such a short time in use. Saw a posting on FBook that a lady paid a dealer $1000 dollars to "fix" it. Are these codes a comomn issue. Any help is appreaciated. Please don't tell me to buy a 2014 or newer because all the failure/recalls issues are now fixed. I am stuck with this one and I hope it does not become a money pit. Not a happy customer!

Spyder Garage

hey OT51

the next time you get the warning it might pay you to bring up the fault code before you switch off the ignition

a friends GS had this issue,complete with Limp Mode,and it turned out to be the sensor below the DPS

this wasnt an intermittent problem tho,and so i was unable to clear it with buds(active codes come straight back)

changing the sensor is fairly simple,but it does require Buds to reset the parameters

i wonder why some DPS problems cause limp mode,and some dont...eg you can still ride the bike albeit without power steering

i would get it to the dealer and have them run buds to see if the fault is stored(should be)....ask them for the printout before they clear the faults

buds on the friends GS,indicated a "connectivity"problem...it was quite specific

you "may" find its not the DPS

you can see the sensor in the OP"s pics,bolted below the DPS,in the second pic

your next ride should be to somewhere with Buds...intermittent Limp Mode is not just an inconvenience,it can be a safety issue

russ
    pres ride
    2014 RT-S
    bike is WIP
    bike has endured elect spike (was jump started incorrectly)
    still a WIP but bike is now running and registered....swapped out 5 modules mostly sourced from Canadian wrecker

Spyder Garage

Lucky. I just paid $1700 to have my DPS replaced. I don't see why the DPS costs $1200!
    Should have done it myself and saved the $500 labor fee.
    Got a 2008 Spyder GS SM5