Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Key failure DESS code

After gassing up yesterday I got the DESS failure with key on my screen. Needless to say I couldn't start my RT to leave the station. Luckily my son wasn't on duty so he was able to go to my house and get the extra key. I am assuming the chip failed in my key and was wondering if this is something I can get corrected or does the dealer have to do it. My closest dealer is about 45 miles away so not convenient at all. Should I expect the other key to fail also since they are the same age? Btw, my wife's RT is about a year older than mine and she hasn't had any problems.

Spyder Garage

Its the DESS module in your bike that is failing, not the key. You can either have the dealer replace it to eventually fail again, or you can have DESS turned off and never worry about it again.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Its the DESS module in your bike that is failing, not the key. You can either have the dealer replace it to eventually fail again, or you can have DESS turned off and never worry about it again.
    Thanks, will the dealer turn it off or do I have to get someone else to do it?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by yellow dog View Post
    Thanks, will the dealer turn it off or do I have to get someone else to do it?
    You'll have to ask and see what they say. My understanding is it can be disabled via BUDS or the mechanic I saw just offered to cut and bypass the wires. What year is your Spyder? As has been said it will fail at some point. If you have a warranty get it replaced or turned off.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

It's a 2015 with 6k miles.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
    You'll have to ask and see what they say. My understanding is it can be disabled via BUDS or the mechanic I saw just offered to cut and bypass the wires. What year is your Spyder? As has been said it will fail at some point. If you have a warranty get it replaced or turned off.
    Interesting idea, never researched the concept of adding a patch cable pigtail and sealed switch to bypass / override DESS.

Was always under the impression DESS read the key, then sent that info to the computer. If the key matched the bike could be started.

Spyder Garage

Yep, mine is a 2015 also and bought it with 15k. Got the DESS error within 2 months of owning it and it just randomly kept popping up, including the one 3 day trip up the coast with my brother. I left the engine running for short sight seeing stops and was always nervous after any shut off period that I'd end up with a disabled bike far from home.

Do yourself a favor so you aren't thinking about it all the time and get it replaced or bypassed.

Just my .02 cents worth and I am one of the most inexperienced riders here having started 2 years ago and straight to 3 wheels so you can add a grain of salt to the 2 cents.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light

Spyder Garage

Yep, mine is a 2015 also and bought it with 15k. Got the DESS error within 2 months of owning it and it just randomly kept popping up, including the one 3 day trip up the coast with my brother. I left the engine running for short sight seeing stops and was always nervous after any shut off period that I'd end up with a disabled bike far from home.

Do yourself a favor so you aren't thinking about it all the time and get it replaced or bypassed.

Just my .02 cents worth and I am one of the most inexperienced riders here having started 2 years ago and straight to 3 wheels so you can add a grain of salt to the 2 cents.
    Thanks, I have contacted the local dealer and they are going to jump on it as soon as I get it there.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have studied the DESS issue, and have not heard of ANYONE who has been able to BY-PASS the module vis Wiring it different.... AS stated it can be done using BUDS but 99.99 % of dealers WON'T...… If the warranty is over, you can do it yourself ...if you remove the Frunk …. then get a module ( $ 135.00 aftermarket vendor ) and you can do it in about 10 minutes ( plug and play ) …. prior to getting it fixed, a procedure that has worked for many is this : turn it on / off 5 times rapidly …. wait a few minutes and try to start it ….. however understand this is a Band-Aid, once the module has had issues - eventually it will stop and won't re-start no matter what you do ….. good luck …. Mike …………. PS after mine failed and was re-placed under warranty, I moved the module to an area under the right headlite …. this makes changing a 5 min. job …..

Spyder Garage

Turning off DESS requires a Megatech licence for BUDS that most dealers do not bother to invest in so most can't do it. Some can and will. A number of independent Spyder shops will do it also.

DESS CANNOT be disabled or bypassed by cutting and splicing wires. Its a digitally encrypted signal sending a key code it read from the chip in the key.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Turning off DESS requires a Megatech licence for BUDS that most dealers do not bother to invest in so most can't do it. Some can and will. A number of independent Spyder shops will do it also.

DESS CANNOT be disabled or bypassed by cutting and splicing wires. Its a digitally encrypted signal sending a key code it read from the chip in the key.
    Well so much for the Master mechanic at the shop that told me that. Another reason not to take it to that shop any more.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light

Spyder Garage

Well so much for the Master mechanic at the shop that told me that. Another reason not to take it to that shop any more. Thanks JC
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by yellow dog View Post
    After gassing up yesterday I got the DESS failure with key on my screen. Needless to say I couldn't start my RT to leave the station. Luckily my son wasn't on duty so he was able to go to my house and get the extra key. I am assuming the chip failed in my key and was wondering if this is something I can get corrected or does the dealer have to do it. My closest dealer is about 45 miles away so not convenient at all. Should I expect the other key to fail also since they are the same age? Btw, my wife's RT is about a year older than mine and she hasn't had any problems.
    HI:

Here is a link that I started with some excellent info about the DESS failure: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope this link works for you.

I have a 2014 RTS-SE 6 and had the DESS module replaced twice & the switch replaced once.
    Since then I have not had the DESS error.
    Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...highlight=dess

PDF for DESS bulletin on post#113

Refer to TST ROADSTER 2nd Generation D.E.S.S. Principal Of Operation (2014 and Up) to fully understand the principle of operation of the latest D.E.S.S. generation. With first D.E.S.S. module production,when the D.E.S.S. module was sending his signal to the antenna to read the key chip, the radio frequency produced by the antenna was too strong and the key chip was saturated. This saturation changed the data transmitted back to the D.E.S.S. module causing a bad reading of the key chip. A ferrite has been added in new 710004916 module to reduce RFI/EMI signals.
    Translate

Many long discussions on this topic.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post

Refer to TST ROADSTER 2nd Generation D.E.S.S. Principal Of Operation (2014 and Up) to fully understand the principle of operation of the latest D.E.S.S. generation. With first D.E.S.S. module production,when the D.E.S.S. module was sending his signal to the antenna to read the key chip, the radio frequency produced by the antenna was too strong and the key chip was saturated. This saturation changed the data transmitted back to the D.E.S.S. module causing a bad reading of the key chip. A ferrite has been added in new 710004916 module to reduce RFI/EMI signals.
    Translate

… The First generation DESS module was in 2008 …. until 2013 ….there were few if any failures with that module..… then the module was changed in 2014 …. and that's when all Hell broke loose, post 2014 there were 4 changes to that module, and IMHO it still isn't anywhere near as good as 08 to 13 modules..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    … The First generation DESS module was in 2008 …. until 2013 ….there were few if any failures with that module..… then the module was changed in 2014 …. and that's when all Hell broke loose, post 2014 there were 4 changes to that module, and IMHO it still isn't anywhere near as good as 08 to 13 modules..... Mike
    Your probably right!

Spyder Garage

Your probably right!
    That's one of the reasons I'm keeping my ever reliable GS.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The first time it happened to my 2014 RT, I let it sat for 24 hours and it cranked. After that I found out that if you touch the negative cable to the positive post on the battery, it will reset the system and crank without issue. After that time, it did it once that caused me to do the walk away and wait method for about 10 minutes. Then for about a year it would do it on occasion. I would take the key out and flip it and it would crank. I eventually had it replaced under warranty and never had another issue.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

My 2015 threw the code a few times, but always started when I did the key on and off trick. We travel a lot on our RT and can be out for a month or more at a time and I didn't trust the DESS whether it was replaced or not. I just had the DESS disabled and called it a day. What purpose does it serve? If a thief is he!! bent on getting your vehicle he will get it. Doesn't matter if it is a bicycle or a Kenworth. Keep your insurance paid and ride.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Translate

Yes there is many discussions on the D.E.S.S topic, I started a thread on the Topic( which is very long).

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

I had my 2014 RT and my wife's 2015 RT both disabled. Could not find a dealer that could or would do it. The dealer I bought my 2014 from claims they never heard of this issue.
    I took my 2014 to Nixa, MO to get it disabled and my wife's I had disabled at the Spyder Rally in Maggie Valley this past Oct
    One advantage of disabling is that for spare keys you can order online the ILCO X270 blanks. Then have a good hardware store cut them and you have a spare. Ordered 2 of them cost with shipping was about 11.00.

I ride more worry free with the DESS disabled

Thanks
    Roger

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RogerTN View Post
    I had my 2014 RT and my wife's 2015 RT both disabled. Could not find a dealer that could or would do it. The dealer I bought my 2014 from claims they never heard of this issue.
    I took my 2014 to Nixa, MO to get it disabled and my wife's I had disabled at the Spyder Rally in Maggie Valley this past Oct
    One advantage of disabling is that for spare keys you can order online the ILCO X270 blanks. Then have a good hardware store cut them and you have a spare. Ordered 2 of them cost with shipping was about 11.00.

I ride more worry free with the DESS disabled

Thanks
    Roger
    Could you have had both bikes keyed alive with no DESS?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by splake0 View Post
    Could you have had both bikes keyed alive with no DESS?
    The KEYS have nothing to do with the DESS module, each Spyder needs each DESS module to be " dis-abled " using a BUDS program ….. hope this helps ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    The KEYS have nothing to do with the DESS module, each Spyder needs each DESS module to be " dis-abled " using a BUDS program ….. hope this helps ….. Mike
    With the DESS disabled there is no chip to read? Am I correct on this? If I am correct then they should be able to key the bike with the same key (alike).

Spyder Garage

I don't think so. The key from one bike will not fit/work in the other. Not sure if a good locksmith could do this or not. What I know for sure is that the chip/dess module will not cause me anymore issues in either bike. The 2015 never did show an error message,but as long as I was in Maggie Valley I figured best to have it disabled .What I can not understand is why the dealers do not have the advanced buds software to disable the dess. Seems as if a lot of Spyder owners did buy it. Not a fan of the dealers.

Yes with the DESS disabled there is no chip to read. That is how you can use the ILCO key
    and have it cut for a spare key

Thanks
    Roger