Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RogerTN View Post
    I don't think so. The key from one bike will not fit/work in the other. Not sure if a good locksmith could do this or not. What I know for sure is that the chip/dess module will not cause me anymore issues in either bike. The 2015 never did show an error message,but as long as I was in Maggie Valley I figured best to have it disabled .What I can not understand is why the dealers do not have the advanced buds software to disable the dess. Seems as if a lot of Spyder owners did buy it. Not a fan of the dealers.

Yes with the DESS disabled there is no chip to read. That is how you can use the ILCO key
    and have it cut for a spare key

Thanks
    Roger
    … as to why dealers don't ( 99.99% ) dis-able DESS is because BRP would have a Conniption if dealers were dis-abling the anti-theft DESS module. BRP touts it as a wonderful feature. ( I don't agree ). Also the dealer would have to pay for the special BUDS program, that enables it to be dis-abled …… Mike

Spyder Garage

Can the Dess be disabled on the older models? I've had my Dess module and key reader changed while NOT under warranty. Don't want to pay for it again!
    Ride safe!

2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daz View Post
    Can the Dess be disabled on the older models? I've had my Dess module and key reader changed while NOT under warranty. Don't want to pay for it again!
    2014 to current can be disabled. All models.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by splake0 View Post
    Could you have had both bikes keyed alive with no DESS?
    YES. Once DESS is disabled, the ignition cylinder can be rekeyed to match the existing key for another spyder. Its a bit of work to remove the cylinder to do it but it could be done. Removing the cylinder would need to be done by a competent Spyder mechanic and the rekey done by a locksmith. Likely this will be two different persons.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    … as to why dealers don't ( 99.99% ) dis-able DESS is because BRP would have a Conception if dealers were dis-abling the anti-theft DESS module. BRP touts it as a wonderful feature. ( I don't agree ). Also the dealer would have to pay for the special BUDS program, that enables it to be dis-abled …… Mike
    Did you mean Conniption?

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Don't ya just hate autospell My wife and would have simultaneous " Conniption fits" if our DESS unit failed in the middle of nowhere Nevada. So------- I replaced the DESS with the newest version and its been ZERO problems . Nobody out west will disable the DESS.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    Don't ya just hate autospell My wife and would have simultaneous " Conniption fits" if our DESS unit failed in the middle of nowhere Nevada. So------- I replaced the DESS with the newest version and its been ZERO problems . Nobody out west will disable the DESS.

Lew L
    Have you checked with Squared Away?

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I checked with them last summer when I had the alignment checked on my . They have BUDS but not the master edition. BUT----things may have changed.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    YES. Once DESS is disabled, the ignition cylinder can be rekeyed to match the existing key for another spyder. Its a bit of work to remove the cylinder to do it but it could be done. Removing the cylinder would need to be done by a competent Spyder mechanic and the rekey done by a locksmith. Likely this will be two different persons.
    If the ignition in the second Spyder is rekeyed to use the same key, there is nothing to prevent programming the same key into the DESS of both bikes, is there? Wouldn't the key profile be independent of the key code, or are they tied together?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by splake0 View Post
    With the DESS disabled there is no chip to read? Am I correct on this? If I am correct then they should be able to key the bike with the same key (alike).
    I had the DESS error happened twice in 2015, ( also I started a thread about the DESS errors that I had) the second time the DESS error occurred the dealership reprogrammed the keys, and installed a the second DESS module( which was under warranty).

I have a 2014 RTS-SE6,both times the DESS module was replaced under warranty. Since then I have not had the DESS error.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    If the ignition in the second Spyder is rekeyed to use the same key, there is nothing to prevent programming the same key into the DESS of both bikes, is there? Wouldn't the key profile be independent of the key code, or are they tied together?
    You understand correctly. This could also be done. But if I was in BUDS for programming keys, its much easier to just turn DESS OFF. Then there is no failure to worry about.

But yes, one key could indeed be programmed to 2 different bikes if the lock cylinders were keyed the same.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    But yes, one key could indeed be programmed to 2 different bikes if the lock cylinders were keyed the same.
    Which would be a feasible approach, although not quick, easy, or cheap, for someone who wants to key two or more bikes alike and does not have ready access to someone with a Megatech BUDS.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)