Spyder Garage

Default Thanks to this forum, with a tip of the padded elbows to Bohn

Since I came to motorcycling (a) late and (b) straight to the Spyder, I don't have years of history in terms of riding experience, best practices, favorite gear, etc., so I've absorbed a lot of insights, opinions, advice, random speculation, etc. from these forums, and I appreciate all of it.

Because of the above, I was resolved to be an ATGATT type from the get-go, but like many people here, that slams quickly into the wall of summer weather here in the south. Had the helmet, the gloves, decent shoes, and a couple of armored/padded jackets, but haven't been happy with the weight and heat of the latter, and south of the border was still going with just jeans or a barely tolerable pair of riding pants that didn't keep the padding where it needed to be anyway.

Thanks to the many posts on the topic, I finally decided being too tight with a buck to spend the money on good gear was a pretty poor piece of logic when faced with the cost of the downside possibilities, and purchased the Bohn Cool-Air mesh armored riding shirt and pants. I've had the gear on in my last three rides, including one during the day when we were in the 80s, and another at night in the 40s, and it was a delight to be comfortable and protected at both of those temperatures. I know 100+ degrees is a pretty long way from 80, but the Bohn gear gives me some options to keep it lighter and cooler. Real happy with that investment, and again, appreciate all of the varied input that helped me make up my own mind on which way to go.
    Regards,

Bret

2017 RT-S Orbital Blue
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    SpyderPops LED Bumpskid, Spyclops II LED, Full View Turn Signals & Belt Guard
    Sena 20S Bluetooth Headsets
    Brake Free Helmet Light
    FOBO Bike for Trike
    Rugged Geek RG1000 Safety Plus Jump Starter/Air Compressor
    Lamonster RAM mount/Techmount TechGripper
    Drink2Go Cup Holders
    UltraGard Half Cover
    2017 RT-S , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

bhern;
    i was heading out your way (Amarillo, TX) this past September, and made it to Henryetta, OK and had to rest up in a motel for 2 days to recoup from Heat-Stroke... no amount, or non-amount of clothing can protect you from 116F temps.... 20190916_133303 (1).jpg
    we are all happy you joined us, and wish you many years and miles on your SPYD3R....
    SPYD3RMAN DAN
    Greenville, SC

Spyder Garage

I'm prretty sure I have the Bohn underarmor pants coming for xmas! Looking forward to being able to ride with good jeans instead of overpants all the time.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bhern View Post
    Since I came to motorcycling (a) late and (b) straight to the Spyder, I don't have years of history in terms of riding experience, best practices, favorite gear, etc., so I've absorbed a lot of insights, opinions, advice, random speculation, etc. from these forums, and I appreciate all of it.

Because of the above, I was resolved to be an ATGATT type from the get-go, but like many people here, that slams quickly into the wall of summer weather here in the south. Had the helmet, the gloves, decent shoes, and a couple of armored/padded jackets, but haven't been happy with the weight and heat of the latter, and south of the border was still going with just jeans or a barely tolerable pair of riding pants that didn't keep the padding where it needed to be anyway.

Thanks to the many posts on the topic, I finally decided being too tight with a buck to spend the money on good gear was a pretty poor piece of logic when faced with the cost of the downside possibilities, and purchased the Bohn Cool-Air mesh armored riding shirt and pants. I've had the gear on in my last three rides, including one during the day when we were in the 80s, and another at night in the 40s, and it was a delight to be comfortable and protected at both of those temperatures. I know 100+ degrees is a pretty long way from 80, but the Bohn gear gives me some options to keep it lighter and cooler. Real happy with that investment, and again, appreciate all of the varied input that helped me make up my own mind on which way to go.
    Do you have a photo of the mesh pants and shirt? What is interesting about this for me is "Bohn" is my last name......it's a small world afterall!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Frankab View Post
    Do you have a photo of the mesh pants and shirt? What is interesting about this for me is "Bohn" is my last name......it's a small world afterall!
    Product links:

https://www.bohnarmor.com/product/co...-riding-shirt/

https://www.bohnarmor.com/product/co...-riding-pants/

Note the picture of the hand inside the fabric; that's an accurate rendering of the "airiness" of the mesh.
    Regards,

Bret

2017 RT-S Orbital Blue
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    SpyderPops LED Bumpskid, Spyclops II LED, Full View Turn Signals & Belt Guard
    Sena 20S Bluetooth Headsets
    Brake Free Helmet Light
    FOBO Bike for Trike
    Rugged Geek RG1000 Safety Plus Jump Starter/Air Compressor
    Lamonster RAM mount/Techmount TechGripper
    Drink2Go Cup Holders
    UltraGard Half Cover
    2017 RT-S , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

I have a set of the all season adventure pants that I bought in August. I haven't ridden in 100° temps yet. They are great with a good pair of Duluth Trading ballroom jeans though in 80° and below. In summer, I will ride with a pair of mesh pants with these under them. Jeans are just to hot compared to mesh.
    2018 Spyder ST Limited , Asphalt Gray