Spyder Garage

Default Do I need to take this puppy up to 80/90 mph occasionally?

I have a question for you experienced and mechanically gifted friends on this forum -

I absolutely love my new ACE 600 Ryker and "poodling" around the beautiful area I live in, enjoying the breezes and warm weather etc etc is what it is all about for me in my late 70's.

My love of ryding now is not necessarily speed, it is the ambience that it affords me - so much more fulfilling than my sedan or any convertible! The power of the acceleration is thrilling and it is still fun to air it out occasionally.

I use the bike almost every day around the neighborhood in lieu of a second auto - but most of my driving is 30 to 45 mph.

I am a little disappointed in that I have had 2 problems already, within the first 2k miles within about 6 months.

First - LIMP mode - ended up being Yaw sensor - covered under warranty.

Second - a couple of days ago - LIMP mode - VSS fault - codes C006C - C0063 - told by local dealer that a wire came loose and I need a new wiring harness - covered under warranty - waiting to get bike back.

OK - now my question - both times that the LIMP mode and alarm came on were suspiciously similar - accelerating fast up an on ramp to merge into fast moving traffic on a freeway.

Probably both incidences are unrelated but it occurs to me that maybe I can avoid these damn things in the future if I take her out on the highway once every other week or so and crank her up to 80/90 mph? Is this beneficial for the engine perhaps rather than all the rather pedestrian low speeds I am doing on a regular basis?

Your thoughts would be most appreciated.

Spyder Garage

I personally don't think either of your 2 problems you've had would have been mitigated by opening up the throttle.
    Though it sucks that you have had a couple issues they are happening at the right time, under warranty!
    My advice would be to ride your Ryker to whatever riding conditions present themselves that day and just enjoy!
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Another card on the pile to ride your own ride.

I have had my 2014 RT since new. It has never been driven over 75 mph...and that was just to pass a slower moving vehicle. At 36K miles have never had the issues that you mention.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

You don't "NEED" to drive it any different than what you feel comfortable doing. I'm no motor head, but these things aren't like the old carbeureted engines that you used to "blow the cobs out of"....they're computerized machines. Ride it like ya wanna...you shouldn't "have" to ride it any other way
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Long as you are not lugging the engine, you shouldn't be doing it any damage. If you do feel like winding it up a bit, you don't need to take it to 100 MPH. You can just run it full throttle through 3 or 4 gears and then let off. That will wind it as tight as going to 100 MPH. Just shift 500 to 1000 RPM below your redline and it will be winding plenty tight.

I don't do it all the time, nor do I think it needs to be done, but once in a while I find a nice straight stretch of road, lock the throttle against the stop, and shift it at 7,500 until it hits 6th gear. It is going just under 100 MPH when it goes into 6th and I let off of it.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    Long as you are not lugging the engine, you shouldn't be doing it any damage. If you do feel like winding it up a bit, you don't need to take it to 100 MPH. You can just run it full throttle through 3 or 4 gears and then let off. That will wind it as tight as going to 100 MPH. Just shift 500 to 1000 RPM below your redline and it will be winding plenty tight.

I don't do it all the time, nor do I think it needs to be done, but once in a while I find a nice straight stretch of road, lock the throttle against the stop, and shift it at 7,500 until it hits 6th gear. It is going just under 100 MPH when it goes into 6th and I let off of it.
    Thanks Gwolf - I sure don't lug the engine and the engine sounds great all the time - however I do every 2 or 3 days rev it up and accelerate quickly from slow to 50 mph or so for short stretches - hopefully that is a good thing to do.

I appreciate your feed back.

Spyder Garage

As it is a Ryker with a cvt it should always be in the optimum range so no lugging possible I would have thought unless at very very low speed. Our limit here is 70mph and only then on the major highways. Mostly the max is 60mph so I don't expect Spydey will ever hit the speeds mentioned. Doesn't mean the twisties ain't interesting. Lots of fun to be had there! Might be just me but any of my vehicles do seem happier once they have had a nice long run at 60 especially if they have been doing short runs for a while.
    2014 ST-S SE5 Cognac
    2014 ST-S , Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would agree the issues you've had are not related to the speed you are driving. They are just issues that happen. I had the same issues on my Spyder. Repaired under warranty and never had them again. That said. I ride my 900 Ryker in the 60-90mph range most of the time. Doing that won't hurt anything. Not doing that won't hurt anything.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post
    I would agree the issues you've had are not related to the speed you are driving. They are just issues that happen. I had the same issues on my Spyder. Repaired under warranty and never had them again. That said. I ride my 900 Ryker in the 60-90mph range most of the time. Doing that won't hurt anything. Not doing that won't hurt anything.
    Thanks Rob.

Spyder Garage

If the dealer is being honest? As mentioned before fuel is metered and kept at or near optimum efficiency, just stay away from ethanol fuel and enjoy.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sputter View Post
    If the dealer is being honest? As mentioned before fuel is metered and kept at or near optimum efficiency, just stay away from ethanol fuel and enjoy.
    Thanks Sputter - I assume dealer is diagnosing the problem correctly - I guess I will find out. The first problem appears to have been fixed so am hopeful that the latest one will be corrected properly.

I do use ethanol free gas.

Appreciate your feed back.

Spyder Garage

Hi Gwolf it's a Ryker you cant lug it , CVT regards Nico 75

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Nico75 View Post
    Hi Gwolf it's a Ryker you cant lug it , CVT regards Nico 75
    Never even seen a Ryker other than pictures. There are none around here and very few Spyders. Wasn't any Rykers at the dealer when I went there.

It was a generalized answer that pretty much could be applied to any motorcycle.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It is good for any vehicle to get out on the highway and be run at highway speeds when they are normally run only in town. It gets everything up to temperature and burns off fuel and moisture in the oil.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    It is good for any vehicle to get out on the highway and be run at highway speeds when they are normally run only in town. It gets everything up to temperature and burns off fuel and moisture in the oil.
    Thanks Highwayman - point taken.

Spyder Garage

I agree with Purple Guy (not so much on his color choice - but definitely with his response to this thread).

The issues you are having are unfortunate. But I do not think they are related, in any way, to what you were doing at the time.

It is good to do some WOT runs on occasion. But not necessarily to get up to 80-90 mph, thought that has it's own rewards, and admittedly, risks as well. No fun getting the Blue Light Special!

Also unrelated to the specific issues you reference. I think it a good idea to run some injection cleaner once-in-awhile. I use Sea Foam fuel additive about every 3,000-5,000 miles. Some don't like Sea Foam, but there are other quality products out there like Lucas, etc.

Hopefully, this is the last of your problems. I've got a Ryker Rally and I've had zero issues other than the Kenda (read JUNK!) tires. For those of you who have had good luck with your Kenda's. I am very happy for you. I just have not been able to get into this special group!
    Last edited by BajaRon; 12-17-2019 at 05:22 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I have no choice but to ride 55 to 65 mph most of the time to not get ran over. A nice 35 mph gives you a little more time to look around. I have had my ryker doing 96 mph but really don't feel safe at that speed as there are to many things that go go wrong in a hurry. I wrecked 2 motorcycles at high speed in my younger days and walked away from both, I think I have used up my quota of good luck and don't really like to push it any more. The ryker is a high rpm engine, I wouldn't think high speeds are necessary to burn out carbon(if even that is the case anymore) etc. As for the Kenda tires I have nothing to compare them too but the wear has been good and they have taken a beating. I am not sure there are any good replacements but will look when I need new.

Spyder Garage

2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Yes, to keep a motor healthy, you have to give her the goose every now and then, it not only helps keep the internals of the engine clean, it helps seal the rings in the cylinders. The added pressure of a high rev run from time to time forces the rings to re-seat (especially if the trike sits a lot), and a good break in should involve what I call a WOT run 3 or 4 times during that time frame too. W.O.T. means wide open throttle. I am fortunate that I used to race snowmobiles growing up, so the RSS goes out to a known deserted hwy in the desert near me where I know there is NO traffic or heat, and I open her up. I do this with all my bikes, right before I drop the oil on oil changes. Even my car and truck get this treatment. SO if you have a local drag strip, swing on by on a slow day and talk to them about what it might cost or whats required to do some speed runs on your Spyders. Its a good way to learn the capabilities of your machine, and using a track keeps you safe. I just happen to live in the middle of nowhere. Its 106 miles to my nearest village., and yes its in the United States...lol
    Kraig B. Kumlin, M.M., M.C.P. (Retired)

Only Two States Left to Visit on MC or Trike, RI and CT
    2012 RS-S , Baja Ron Plug Wire Kit and NGK Iridium Plugs Grey and Black

Spyder Garage

The way the clutch is designed on a Ryker, you really cannot lug it, so ride it and forget about it, lol. As for the electrical issue, they will change out the harness and the problem will disappear.