Spyder Garage

Default Protect your Spyder from bottoming out!!

Hey Everyone, check out this new product I found for the bottom of our Spyders!!

Thinking about what to get for the Can Am Spyder lover you know? Think no more! How many times, have you pulled off the road, or into a driveway and heard that nasty scratching sound on the bottom of the front nose? We've all been there, and we've all done that. Now there is an inexpensive way to help protect that underside!!! With the SLiPLO Can Am Kit, you can reduce the chances of doing damage! I have already put them on my Spyder, and only wish I had learned of them sooner! Christmas special for only $39.95, you can help protect that Spyder!!! Check it out at https://sliplo.com/191.html Super easy to install, check out my before and after pics! CLICK ON THE LINK TO GET YOURS TODAY!!!
    problem-solution.jpg
    2020 Can Am Spyder RT Limited "The Comet #2"

Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Passenger Armrests From Can Am
    Wolo Big Bad Max Airhorn
    Lamonster Top Cuff W/Ram Ball
    Lamonster Power Plate
    Tackform Phone Mount
    Key Cover from Ebay
    Lamonster Mirror Locks
    Ultragard Cover from Lamonster
    Top Grills from Spyderpops
    Garage Door Opener from Spyderpops
    3.5mm Extension from Amazon
    Lamonster USB Cable Holder & Cable
    Foam Grips from Spyderpops
    Tricled Strobe Brake Light module
    Tricled Bag Lights (replace reflectors)
    Tricled Turn/Brake/Run Signals Rear
    Tricled Floorboard Lights
    Tricled Sequential Run/Turn Fender Lights
    Tricled A-Frame Run/Turn Lights
    Tricled LED American Flag Mount & Flag
    Showchrome American Flag
    2020 RT Limited , Says Chalk White, but in person it is much more gray

Spyder Garage

Not as effective as Spyder Pops bump skid although considerably less expensive. Your choice.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Seems too narrow, even though 3 layers thick, to offer as much protection as any version of a bumpskid to the underside of a Spyder. Am I missing something???????
    Mike
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    Seems too narrow, even though 3 layers thick, to offer as much protection as any version of a bumpskid to the underside of a Spyder. Am I missing something???????
    Mike
    You are missing the comparison in the price. But you do you.

Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Wolo Big Bad Max Airhorn
    Lamonster Power Plate
    Tackform Phone Mount
    Key Cover from Ebay
    Lamonster Mirror Locks
    Showchrome American Flag

Spyder Garage

Mehh, to me the only solution is to physically raise the bike. Regardless of what's under there, something is gonna rub/scrape. And to me, the more you add under the bike, the lower it gets. I'll stick to watching where I'm driving and knowing my bike's limitations. I understand the idea behind it and the infamous bumpskid, but to just put something else underneath the bike to scrape, always seemed silly to me. If you're worried about bottoming out, then make a lift kit....just my .02
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mazo EMS2 View Post
    ... I understand the idea behind it and the infamous bumpskid ...
    Why do you refer to the bumpskid as “infamous”?

David

Spyder Garage

I installed these...https://www.denniskirk.com/rivco/ski...prd/519273.sku
    The instructions say that it cannot be fitted to the Spyder without installing their Tubular Front Bumper at the same time. The part that you need to make it fit ONLY comes with the bumper package. It's a flat aluminum plate that fits in the bottom of the frunk. I made my own. My ryde was scraped up in the front but not as badly as the rear was. The front of this plate wraps up a few degrees at the front. I've also installed Baja Ron's Front Spring Adjusters which allowed me to raise the nose up an inch and like the ride better.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Sorry, but I've never seen any adhesive that held two pieces together as securely as a bolt, not even 3M automotive adhesive tape which is what this product uses.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

In the 1st 6 months 8000km's I bumped the bottom a few times and was considering a bash plate for the RTL. Its now almost 2 years and 38,000kms later and I have done it since, so I cant say I need one.
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Question bolts and screws--------

After seeing the bottom of the bolted on bumpskid on the '14 RTS ------ I'm really glad I installed it EARLY in the ownership of the almost trouble free .

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    After seeing the bottom of the bolted on bumpskid on the '14 RTS ------ I'm really glad I installed it EARLY in the ownership of the almost trouble free .

Lew L
    A big +1!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Mehh, to me the only solution is to physically raise the bike. Regardless of what's under there, something is gonna rub/scrape. And to me, the more you add under the bike, the lower it gets. I'll stick to watching where I'm driving and knowing my bike's limitations. I understand the idea behind it and the infamous bumpskid, but to just put something else underneath the bike to scrape, always seemed silly to me. If you're worried about bottoming out, then make a lift kit....just my .02
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

agree 100%
    Baja Ron sway bar, Spyder Dock, Highway Brackets,Trident pegs, Spyder Decals, Signal Mirror led strips, Utopia backrest, 5 pc. Hopnel liner set, cargo nets side/rear doors. Mesh bag front trunk, foam grips, spare trunk key, passenger armrests/storage pouch's, ram mounts/GPS, Drink holder,Phone, Passenger clamp-on drink holder, rear trunk tap light, custom plate frame, spyder fastener bolts, adjustable lower mirror wind deflectors, F4 Customs windshield -wide,tall,clear,vent,Chrome Spyder grill.

Spyder Garage

Good that we have a civil difference of opinion

Sure would lilke to see a photo shopped With a 4" lift kit?????
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Actually, it doesn't hurt to do both.

Put protection under the front because there is always that possibility of a ground strike. Repairing damage to the front can be expensive. And, have adjustable front shocks giving you the ability to compensate for loading to return your Spyder to the original ride height. Loading your Spyder with riders and luggage can reduce the front ground clearance by as much as 2". Hit a raised area which compresses the suspension and you are very low indeed.

Adjustable shocks also provide the advantage of returning steering geometry to original factory specs., and improves handling and stability.

Granted, installing a 3/8" bump skid or similar further reduces ground clearance. But combined with adjustable shocks, it can make the front of your Spyder pretty bullet proof.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Not as effective as Spyder Pops bump skid although considerably less expensive. Your choice.

Jack
    I'll say. If not for the bump skid, no telling what kind of damage I would have had to my bike after hitting a fill line plug from an 18 wheeler fuel truck that had fallen off. I work at a refinery, so exiting the highway next to the loading dock gate you are liable to find a number of mechanical pieces on the road. This plug made a significant gouge in my bump skid and needless to say sceeered the poop out of me when I hit it in the dark. I fully recommend the Bump Skid.
    2016 RTS Special Triple Black, BRP Freedom Trailer, Spyder Pops Rear Lighting Kit, Spyder Pops Full view Turn Signals, Trunk Light, Rivco Highway Pegs. Doc's Spring Tensioners, Trunk Organizer, Magic Mirrors, Foam Grips, back to Stock Windsheild, Lamonsters cat delete, Bajaron sway bar, More Farkles to come !!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    Good that we have a civil difference of opinion

Sure would lilke to see a photo shopped With a 4" lift kit?????
    Just typical that you come to this site to share something, and all people do is crap on it. Typical of some of the people on this site for sure. SO GLAD they have an ignore function.

Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Wolo Big Bad Max Airhorn
    Lamonster Power Plate
    Tackform Phone Mount
    Key Cover from Ebay
    Lamonster Mirror Locks
    Showchrome American Flag

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FINFAN3DP View Post
    Just typical that you come to this site to share something, and all people do is crap on it. Typical of some of the people on this site for sure. SO GLAD they have an ignore function.
    I don't think we all came here to "crap" on the product. You presented it, we looked at it, and we objectively decided that what it offers isn't the level of protection we desire.

In all fairness you did say, "With the SLiPLO Can Am Kit, you can reduce the chances of doing damage!" You did not say it would prevent damage. And, I guess, that is all we should expect for $40. However, most of us see the SLiPLO as not providing the level of protection we want, notwithstanding the bargain price. I think most of the comments here are fairly objective and our assessment is we'll pass on it.

If it provides the level of protection you are comfortable with, then stick with it. And definitely, absolutely, assuredly, we are NOT dissing you, just the product.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

The moderators have been watching this one. It looks like its time to close it. Mentioning a product to others is okay...sponsored or not. Going on and on about it constitutes advertising. It does appear that the product received more negative than positive responses.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red