Spyder Garage

Default 2018 RTL - Parking Brake not releasing again

I've had an intermittent issue with parking brake since bike was new back in March. Last spring I took it 200 miles to dealer and was told the speed sensor mounted on rear wheel was dirty. They cleaned it off and brake release worked.

I know, it doesn't make sense to me either. The speed sensor may be 'logically' connected into the circuit to stop brake application while bike is in motion but what would that matter if bike is stopped and rear wheel is not moving? Twice in the last month I have had the brake release not work. I pulled the sensor out and wiped it off with my thumb, reinstalled and brake released as it should.

Now the conundrum. While brake was working normally, I pulled the sensor out and brake still worked. I put black tape over sensor while it was out, brake still worked. I made sure the sensor was away from all metal, with tape on it and again with tape off, brake still works normal.

Any ideas?

=bob=
    2018 RTL--------------------------------2018 RTL
    Champagne Metallic-------------------Oxford Blue
    Lamonster Pegs------------------------Lamonster Pegs
    Motorcycle Dave Gel seat inserts----Motorcycle Dave Gel seat inserts
    Big Bike Parts Backrests--------------Big Bike Parts Backrests
    Magic Mirror mounts------------------Magic Mirror mounts
    Tri-Axis Handlebar---------------------Tri-Axis Handlebar
    KurYakyn Grips-------------------------Foam Grips

2018 Limited , Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

its the left switch cluster

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

carrya 12 mil wrench till get fixed

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
    its the left switch cluster
    It's possible the left switch cluster may be the problem but the computer knows when the button has been pressed as the brake light will start blinking. If I don't hit it a second time before turning off the key it will beep at me to indicate the parking brake is not set. turn it on and press the button again before turning it off and there is no beeping. So the computer recognizes the button press. I do carry 12mm wrenches and use them. Also carry the 5mm allen to remove the speed sensor.

As for the left switch cluster, I am starting to have issues with downshifting. I have to press that button several times to get it to downshift sometimes but that is a separate issue.

=bob=

Spyder Garage

Best idea, get it to the dealer and have them fix it under warranty.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

So far on my 2018 RTL I've had it in for warranty repair twice for the same parking brake issue. First time was for left switch pack replacement (I heard this was a known issue with a bulletin on it), which didn't correct the problem. It happened again, so it went back in for warranty repair again, this time they replaced the parking brake actuator (motor).

On the first visit my Spyder was down for too long of a period right in the middle of riding season, so the second time I made a workable plan. To save a lot of riding time I scheduled a diagnostic appointment, where all they did was hook up and get the codes and diagnostic data. The bike was still running, so I rode it home while they ordered parts. When the parts came in I made an appointment for repair, this time they had my Spyder for only about 3 days. Much more satisfactory this way!
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
    carrya 12 mil wrench till get fixed

we have not had this issue, but where and what do you disconnect with the 12 MM wrench?
    2018 RT , Blue

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by brerrabbit View Post
    As for the left switch cluster, I am starting to have issues with downshifting. I have to press that button several times to get it to downshift sometimes but that is a separate issue.
    Not necessarily. If the left switch cluster is anything like the one on the 2014 RT the only function in it that does not use the CANbus is the horn. So both parking brake and shifting problems probably are stemming from a communication problem between the switch cluster and the other processors in the bike. Take it to the dealer. It's under warranty, right?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Realtor View Post
    we have not had this issue, but where and what do you disconnect with the 12 MM wrench?
    Undo the nuts on the park brake cable where it goes thru the activation lever on the rear brake caliper. That'll let you release the brake caliper from holding the disc stopped, so you can ryde home/to a dealer/workshop.... The park brake ON warning will sound for a little bit & the light stays on, but at least you'll be able to move the Spyder & ryde. Just don't forget to chock it or stop with a wheel against the kerb whenever you do stop while the lever is released!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-17-2019 at 12:43 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Not necessarily. If the left switch cluster is anything like the one on the 2014 RT the only function in it that does not use the CANbus is the horn. So both parking brake and shifting problems probably are stemming from a communication problem between the switch cluster and the other processors in the bike. Take it to the dealer. It's under warranty, right?
    Yes it's still under warranty. The dealer is working with me on this. Earlier this year they ordered all the parts to fix the parking break whatever it may be. The parts have come in and will schedule the maintenance with me. They are checking into the left switch cluster parts availability at this time. This seems to be a good dealer as they are trying to do things so they affect my wife and I the least. When we bought the Spyders last spring, they delivered them to us at no additional cost, 200 miles from the dealer site.

My real question here concerns the idea of the speed sensor and possible parking brake issues. Anyone have any idea how these may be tied together? The wiring diagrams don't show anything so if they are tied together it my be in the computer logic programing.

I will keep you posted as to the resolution of these issues.

=bob=

Spyder Garage

I had the same problem , multiple times, with my 2018 RT Limited. I finally took it to the dealer who replaced the cable and actuator motor under warranty. So far, so good. However, I recently ran across one of Shawn Smoak's videos discussing the problem. Shawn is probably one of the most knowledgeable Spyder techs in the U.S. and has posted many videos pertaining to his experience over the years. His theory is that the problem is caused by improper adjustment of the cable, which causes the cable to over tighten to the point it will not release. In the video he recommends adjusting the cable to the point that the loop at the cable end which attaches to the rear brake arm can be moved side to side with a moderate amount of effort while the parking brake is engaged. I'm sorry, but I don't have a link to the video, but it shouldn't be too hard to find. Hope this helps.

Dennis

Spyder Garage

Big Spyder Tech Talk!! • Lifting & Park Brake Issues! | TheSmoaks Vlog_1458 This is the video that Shawn talks about the parking brake tension. Starts talking about the brake around 10 minutes into the video.