Spyder Garage

Default RIVCO Highway Bars and Floorboards (HWY Bars are available)

I own a 2012 Can Am RSS, and was led to believe by RIVCO directly that the 2012 model will allow you to mount BOTH the Hwy Bars and the IVCO Floorboards, so I got both.

It turns out that unless you want to immediately modify the mount plates for the Hwy Bars, the installation of both products will fail. The Bar's Mount plates interfere with the Floorboards front support bar. A user can grind or custom trim the plates to allow the floorboard support to be set up, but, its not worth the hassle in my book.

So I mounted the Floorboards only. I really had no issues with the RIVCO Floorboard kit. Ihad read that on some models you may want a Dremel handy, but the RSS kit I got from Dennis Kirk worked out exactly, the new metal boards are super strong, the ride position is VASTLY improved, and the boards and the Baja Ron Bar and Bar Ends make this thing so secure on twisty roads. My lack of confidence on putting weight on these over those cheap Kurakyn Mini boards made me change to this board kit, and these really helped me settle into the Can Am ride. It now directly reminds me of riding snowmobiles. Ihave so much room to move my feet and I actually LIKE the mini pegs. I learned to break with my heel, so I did not need to modify the brake pedal. I am getting a hand brake kit for my wife too.

SO I have Hwy Bar Kit and the Pegs available. cheap. I was going to do the HWY Bar mod, but with the boards, I really do not need the bars, and I really wish RIVCO would have been less deceptive when I asked these questions. They were horrible. By the way, RIVCO is out of stock on the floorboards, and will not be making board kits until the end of January (although they may be lying about that like they did when they convinced me to buy both kits), and I got the last set at DK, I do recommend the kits for the floorboards, it rides so much better with your feet lower, and you are closer to the handle bars.

So if anyone wants a good deal on an open box HWY Bar kit, and some pegs for it, 50 bucks and the 25 to ship them is all I need to get you the HWY Bar kit. I will post board pictures here later after I get them on my laptop.
    2012 RS-S , Baja Ron Plug Wire Kit and NGK Iridium Plugs Grey and Black

Spyder Garage

Krakum, how did the rivco floorboards work with your brake and gearshift? Pictures I've seen, show the pedals about midpoint on the board, which I think, would make it awkward to brake and shift.

Spyder Garage

Part # or link please like to investigate what other years they may fit

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

The braking was awkward at first, than I remembered, Snow Mobile, and lets think outside the box. So I kept the ball of my foot planted, and low and behold, the heel works great, took me about ten minutes in a parking lot to adjust my ride style for heel braking. Then I am making use of the extra sport pegs that come with the board kit. They are actually a lengthened spacer if you will, but in city riding, I put my foot back up on the right sport peg, and I have a normal feel on the brake in heavy traffic. I know a machinist, and I am going to have him help me building a custom pedal.....but for now adjusting to heel braking has been the correct shift...I have the SE so I have no pedal, but Rivco sells a heel toe shifter for the boards that actually improves shifting if you have the SM5.

Spyder Garage

Part Number CA004, Rivco Can Am Spyder RS/GS Highway Bar kit, if you do not have the board kit, they fit all years of the RS GS variants. In spite of what they say at RIVCO, you CANNOT mount the RIVCO board kit with the Hwy Bars, its one or the other, I went with the boards, and having that leg hunch down taken away has been a god send for my psiatic nerve.

Make of offer and be sure to tack on 25 so I can get them shipped, contact me for payment details.

Spyder Garage

I will state also, I am NOT a fan of their customer support. The phone people do not know their product so its likely a contracted call center, and their shipping is designed to draw them profit. They wanted 75 dollars to ship both kits. I will also state I have read complaints that they cause clearance issues. So an offer at the level of I will give it a shot is all I am seeking, plus the 25 shipping of course.

Spyder Garage

I adjusted to the brake pedal in two rides, its not even an issue once you get used to it, I have an extension on my wish list to BUILD, but its not an urgent item at all. I also got used to using the "sport peg" on the right side that comes with the kit, it holds your foot in a better place than the stock brake position, so I tend to hand my right foot there until I am out of traffic. It really is an easy adjustment, just looks more complicated, and more in the way than it really is once the kit is installed.
    Kraig B. Kumlin, M.M., M.C.P. (Retired)

Only Two States Left to Visit on MC or Trike, RI and CT

Spyder Garage

But the added foot real estate? Well worth the money, and the odd brake situation. Took all the pressure off my bad back with my feet resting at a normal seated position. I am ordering the LaMonster Hwy Peg brackets on the first, they work with the boards, I checked them out with a local rider that has the LaMonster pegs, and the RIVCO boards. And I did provide part numbers, but its pretty RS/GS specific, Ido not see how they say they can be used together on any year, the RIVCO boards and peg mounts DO NOT play well together, and for me to use the RIVCO pegs, I have to modify the brackets. But the RIVCO boards also cause a 1 inch drop in ground clearance, so if you want them pay 20 bucks for shipping is all, I do not recommend them, and will use the LaMonster set, it takes care of those annoying plastic plates you encountre at oil change time anyway, two annoyances fixed with one kit is a win win for me.
    Kraig B. Kumlin, M.M., M.C.P. (Retired)

Only Two States Left to Visit on MC or Trike, RI and CT