Thread: Oil smell!

Spyder Garage

Spyder Oil smell!

A month ago, I bought a used 2018 Rt Limited. Already did over 500 miles...
    Very satisfied and I like the ride. But, most of the time when I change gear I get a second or two of an oil smell!
    Is this common or is it having a clutch problem of some kinds?
    Thanks!

Spyder Garage

If you are having issues with the clutch, you should be able to detect it as the engine revving not correlating correctly with vehicle speed increase. This usually happens more easily in the higher gears with aggressive throttle. But I do not think you would get an immediate oil smell from that. More likely you have oil dripping on the exhaust somewhere and it has nothing to do with the transmission or clutch.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The other thing to check is the oil level, is it over filled? Look in your manual on how to check the oil. The Spyder is Very different than other bikes, cars, trucks ect.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    If you are having issues with the clutch, you should be able to detect it as the engine revving not correlating correctly with vehicle speed increase. This usually happens more easily in the higher gears with aggressive throttle. But I do not think you would get an immediate oil smell from that. More likely you have oil dripping on the exhaust somewhere and it has nothing to do with the transmission or clutch.

Makes sense! I’ll check that.
    Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    The other thing to check is the oil level, is it over filled? Look in your manual on how to check the oil. The Spyder is Very different than other bikes, cars, trucks ect.
    I let the dealership take care of my first oil change and I had a smelly, dirty mess because they let the shop flunky change the oil and he overfilled it by a quart. Never again.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    Good Call!

I think I am close on the 'What'. But I think you may have nailed the 'Why'. Which, in the long run, is the more important component!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I have had two RTL's and both gave off a hot hydraulic oil smell after riding for awhile. Have ridden 45k miles with no problems so I ignore it.