Spyder Garage

Default Cooling system drain and refill - empty via drain valve or hose?

If I understand a previous thread somewhere, it would be wise not to open the radiator drain valve, but instead, disconnect the main lower hose connection. Cold and wet week ahead so I will do some maintenance on the bike.
    2014 ST-S Cognac
    2014 ST-S , OEM Yes Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's correct. The drain plug "tap" is pressed into the radiator housing. When you loosen the plug the press fit joint can come loose.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post
    That's correct. The drain plug "tap" is pressed into the radiator housing. When you loosen the plug the press fit joint can come loose.
    ….. Doing this via the hose connection is a much better idea, none of those parts are likely to break …..jmhjo ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARNIE R View Post
    If I understand a previous thread somewhere, it would be wise not to open the radiator drain valve, but instead, disconnect the main lower hose connection. Cold and wet week ahead so I will do some maintenance on the bike.
    Yes the correct way to do this is to remove one of the lower radiator hoses to drain the system. by 2014 the drain valve was removed from the radiators and BRP listed the lower hose removal as the only approved method. Since BRP only uses one time clamps you will need to have one available (most people use ss worm clamps).
    One of the most frustrating things about this for me was trying to fill the overflow bottle on the Spyder as it's placement makes it hard to read as well as had to fill. I tried a turkey baster and that was a mess a funnel with a long neck works, but I found that to also make a mess.
    What I finally came up with is taking the cap from the antifreeze bottle and drilling a hole in the center just large enough for a plastic tube to go through it. I used 3/8" ID clear tubbing from a big box store (Menards, Home Depot) Using about two feet of it using silicone to glue it in place.
    Now I just pinch the tubing to stop the flow and no mess!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There are different types of antifreezes on the market today. Some brands are not compatible with other brands. Does anyone know what brand or which chemical compound antifreeze BRP put in their 1330 spyder motors? There are basically two types that are used, silicates based compounds and organic acid based compounds and the two cannot be mixed. It's possible there is even a third type of antifreeze out there. There is always a certain amount of residual coolant left in the system when it is drained. I'm not sure how much would remain in the 1330 and if incorrectly mixed with a non-compatible brand, would there be enough in there to cause an issue.

Spyder Garage

, …… if you flush with very hot water ( remember the thermostat has to open ) a few times 99.999% of the old anti-freeze will be changed ….. jmho ….. Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    , …… if you flush with very hot water a few times 99.999% of the old anti-freeze will be changed ….. jmho ….. Mike
    Do you know which or what antifreeze is the OEM antifreeze?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    Yes the correct way to do this is to remove one of the lower radiator hoses to drain the system. by 2014 the drain valve was removed from the radiators and BRP listed the lower hose removal as the only approved method. Since BRP only uses one time clamps you will need to have one available (most people use ss worm clamps).
    One of the most frustrating things about this for me was trying to fill the overflow bottle on the Spyder as it's placement makes it hard to read as well as had to fill. I tried a turkey baster and that was a mess a funnel with a long neck works, but I found that to also make a mess.
    What I finally came up with is taking the cap from the antifreeze bottle and drilling a hole in the center just large enough for a plastic tube to go through it. I used 3/8" ID clear tubbing from a big box store (Menards, Home Depot) Using about two feet of it using silicone to glue it in place.
    Now I just pinch the tubing to stop the flow and no mess!
    Good idea, thanks.
    2014 ST-S Cognac
    2014 ST-S , OEM Yes Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    I believe there was a post from a few years back, that identified what the make-up was for the OEM anti-freeze..... good luck finding that post ….. Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Believe it the OAT type but would have to check my bottles. You could use the green type but not rated for long periods versus the pink/orange type that brp sells.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I believe there was a post from a few years back, that identified what the make-up was for the OEM anti-freeze..... good luck finding that post ….. Mike
    I guess this would be it. Correct? https://www.ebay.com/itm/BRP-Ski-Doo...-/153063301003

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I believe the manual says use coolant that is compatible with aluminum engines. If you do that you should be fine.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As stated in my manual:

Always use ethylene glycol antifreeze containing corrosion inhibitors specifically recommended for aluminum engines.

Spyder Garage

Well this will work ….. it should it's sold by BRP …… But at $15.00 per QUART that's pretty expensive stuff …… others have posted " if it's labeled for ALUMINUM engines it's OK " …… Well maybe …….. Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is the standard Green Antifreeze. They recommend the Long Life Pink/Orange antifreeze. Most vehicles these days are using the long life Antifreeze compared to the old days.