Spyder Garage

Default Decided to Pull the Trigger

Well, I have decided to make the switch to 3 wheels. I will be buying a new Spyder soon. I have pretty much decided on the F3 Limited, though the RT Limited is not yet out of the running. I would like to hear any recommendations about what I should have the dealer add beyond the basic setup. I am particularly interested in any mirror modifications that are available.

Thanks,
    Bill

Spyder Garage

and

On ride modifications...I recommend giving the stock version about 1,000 miles. Can't answer your question about mirrors. I have left all mine stock.

If you have to farkle...lights are a good way to get started.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wmjkweber02 View Post
    Well, I have decided to make the switch to 3 wheels. I will be buying a new Spyder soon. I have pretty much decided on the F3 Limited, though the RT Limited is not yet out of the running. I would like to hear any recommendations about what I should have the dealer add beyond the basic setup. I am particularly interested in any mirror modifications that are available.

Thanks,
    Bill
    When you get to drive them / it, the best advice I got was ….. drive it like a CAR ….. you will adapt to your Spyder very quickly if you follow this advice …… ….. Mike

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

"Decided to Pull the Trigger" Actually your still aiming. Once you settle on what model and year color spyder you want then pull the trigger. Drive your new machine with pride for a bit; say 1 to 2 thousand miles than start to think about what you would like to change or add. My 2 cents.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

If the dealership has a competent technician and uses the Rolo laser alignment system I suggest you ask for it to be included in the OTD deal; shouldn't cost more than $150 or very close to that number. Other than that, I agree with ARtraveler; get a grand or so on the odo before you begin thinking about farkles.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

As for the dealer stuff I would ask if he could switch out the stock for comfort seat and have them add in a drivers backrest. That is really it as in to start out with. If you get the stock and decide to update later, you will have an extra seat. If you can get him to swap and then you add in lets say half you get an updated seat and buy the backrest you don't have to worry about selling the stock seat. My opinion is buy the backrest when you buy the seat. If you buy the stock backrest and decide to update to the comfort seat you will have to buy a new backrest. So do it to start and not worry about it. magic mirrors are recommended but not needed until you have 3000 miles or so. I agree with above. Ride everything stock and get a feel for it before you start to upgrade.

Spyder Garage

The RT and the F3 sit you differently, so try both before making a decision. I was headed for the RT and when I sat on it, it was a terrible fit for me. But the F3L sits you in it more and has movable floorboards. I like being able to stow 2 helmets in the top trunk and the F3 is much easier to service, a big plus if you intend to do your own maintenance.
    That's good advice to ride it before considering add ons, with a couple exceptions; fill in the fog light blanks with Tricled's combo fog and DRL lights for more conspicuity. I don't have 1K miles on my F3L yet, but I added the Custom Chrome trunk rack (in addition to putting things on it, it adds rigidity to the lid. I also added a pair of road lights to the inner front fenders as seen in the photo. Get's even more attention. In case you are curious, that's a 7Jurock 16" windshield with the flip - no distortion.
    ROWAN & LIGHTS 5.jpg
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Mine was delivered 4weeks ago. Added the backrest and ufit system. Which they were suppose to add there but didn't so they sent and i put it on. I have the F4 windshield and hand wings to add when weather warms a little. Got to put 140 miles on before bad weather hit. Way to much wind and helmet buffeting with stock shield

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Knowing what I know now, I would search this sight for what I wanted or something close to it and save thousands of dollars. There's a entire world out there with low millage machines with great prices, and many of them have a ton of farkes already attached to them. JMHO

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    The RT and the F3 sit you differently, so try both before making a decision. I was headed for the RT and when I sat on it, it was a terrible fit for me. But the F3L sits you in it more and has movable floorboards. I like being able to stow 2 helmets in the top trunk and the F3 is much easier to service, a big plus if you intend to do your own maintenance.
    That's good advice to ride it before considering add ons, with a couple exceptions; fill in the fog light blanks with Tricled's combo fog and DRL lights for more conspicuity. I don't have 1K miles on my F3L yet, but I added the Custom Chrome trunk rack (in addition to putting things on it, it adds rigidity to the lid. I also added a pair of road lights to the inner front fenders as seen in the photo. Get's even more attention. In case you are curious, that's a 7Jurock 16" windshield with the flip - no distortion.
    ROWAN & LIGHTS 5.jpg
    Thanks for the insight on the RT.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If it doesn't come with bags (saddle bags), make sure you get something to hold your whatnots you accrue as you travel.
    For me, staying hydrated is important because of medical problems. I always have a drink holder on any byke I own.
    ~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779