Spyder Garage

Default side panel removal 2014 RT LTD

Good morning everyone. Kinda rainy here in ChiTown. Hope everyone else has better weather.

When you remove the side panel that goes up to the mirrors there are the two screws (torx that take the special driver with the hole in the tip) that you are not supposed to remove on the bottom the just pop into holes underneath. Does anyone know what size they are? The first time I removed the panel on the right I turned them and now they do not line up right and are a pain to pop back in. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Mike
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You should never have to remove those screws. They are the chrome screws I am guessing? There should be a straight one and one angled. I use white silicone spray from WD 40 that helps. You may have to bend the plastic a bit to get them back in considering that you have the pins line back up the way they were?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    You should never have to remove those screws. They are the chrome screws I am guessing? There should be a straight one and one angled. I use white silicone spray from WD 40 that helps. You may have to bend the plastic a bit to get them back in considering that you have the pins line back up the way they were?
    I know, it was my 1st time and tried to remove them and now they do not line up, the other side is fine. I had a special torx but now I can't find it. I think it's a security bit> Thanks, Mike
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wmh9680 View Post
    I know, it was my 1st time and tried to remove them and now they do not line up, the other side is fine. I had a special torx but now I can't find it. I think it's a security bit> Thanks, Mike
    I don't remember ever turning mine and they're still a pain to line up. Spray some windex on the grommets and bend the panel as you put it on. IIRC it works easier to push the rear one in first, then the front one.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Thanks, I think I have a set of security bits somewhere, just haven’t found everything since we moved last year. I would like to find out the size so I can get a drive and I won’t loose it as much. I have the magic mirrors coming and hope to do the stage two flash soon. Thanks, Mike
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

the small rubber posts have a little bend in them, from not being straight in line to grommet. its not easy, have to flex panel, try to look down from top to push in. basically have to push up to engine side, let outside flex out some to see where grommet is located. so start in rear near saddlebags to get started, work your way up to curve by engine, push in that grommet, then attach at mirrors last
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

you can get a cheap security bit set at harbor freight. Be careful the rubber posts will break if you go to far.. Use a slippery substance of your choice to help around the grommet's.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    you can get a cheap security bit set at harbor freight. Be careful the rubber posts will break if you go to far.. Use a slippery substance of your choice to help around the grommet's.
    I have that set, just can’t locate it at the moment
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

Not sure if you are aware that the plastic posts have an index edge to correctly align them as the special screws are installed.

Spyder Garage

The top side panels themselves have some flex in them and, as IdahoMtnSpyder said, after inserting the rear pin you can flex the panel to get the second pin into its grommet. I strongly second the use of Windex to wet the grommets. The beauty of Windex is when it evaporates the pins have a nice tight grip on the grommets that one cannot get with a lubricant. That particularly ensures the side panel pins have a good grip on their three grommets. Don't forget to be certain the top front plastic clip on the side panel is properly hooked onto the rear edge of the front panel.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Thanks, I just found my security bits and the torx screw is a 10. Thanks, Mike
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

I use windex. Seat the front one in the grommet, bow the panel, seat the aft one. The front one is longer and curved to hold on, the rear one is smaller and straight, and pushes right in. After hundreds of these, I believe I have it figured out. Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system