Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default First Service on 2019 Spyder RT

Just how important is it to take a 2019 Spyder RT Limited to a dealer for the first oil change? The dealer I purchased it from says to bring it in for the first service at 3,000 miles. Cost would be around $300.00. I traded in a 2015 Spyder RT with 40,000 miles on it and it had never been back to any dealer. It had about 8,000 miles on it when I purchased it and as far as I know it was never taken to a dealer. I have always done all my own service. I always to all the services at the miles that are recommended. I never liked anyone doing anything to my motorcycles. The only thing I had on my 2015 was I had to change the DESS Module which I did myself. I have purchased around 35 new motorcycles in my life time. I have only had one back to a dealer. That was a 2005 BMW K1200LT. It had to have a rear drive replaced. I have 1500 miles on this 2019 and it could not handle or run any better. I don’t understand why I cannot change the oil in it at 3,000 miles and save $300.00. I will purchase the Can Am oil kit with filter and have the receipt for proof I changed it.

My 2015 I had lasered aligned it myself; replace tires with car tires (I have my own tire changer), installed Bajaron sway bar, and belt tensioner. When I replace the original tires they will be car tires. Right at present time I am not going to but the sway bar on or the belt tensioner. I ride alone and only weight 150 lbs. and I don’t notice the sway bar and I have no vibration. It took a little time getting the belt aligned just like I wanted it. I can just put the thickness of a credit card between the belt and rear pulley flange. Down the road I my put the Bajaron sway bar on if I feel I need it.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Whenever I service my Spyder, in addition to parts receipts I write a memorandum for the record of the service listing calendar date, service mileage and total mileage on the bike. Since you have the mechanical skill what I would do in your case is include a copy of the 3,000 mile service checklist from pg 105 of your operator's guide and initial each line that you've checked the appropriate service item. Under the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act if anything goes wrong with the machine for which you would seek warranty repair BRP would have to prove that what you did or did not do in the case of periodic maintenance service was the cause of the failure.

You might consider switching to full synthetic oil as many of us who have done so find the transmission shifts smoother than with the BRP semi synthetic blend oil. Good luck!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Oil is NOT the only thing the first service entails.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Whenever I service my Spyder, in addition to parts receipts I write a memorandum for the record of the service listing calendar date, service mileage and total mileage on the bike. Since you have the mechanical skill what I would do in your case is include a copy of the 3,000 mile service checklist from pg 105 of your operator's guide and initial each line that you've checked the appropriate service item. Under the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act if anything goes wrong with the machine for which you would seek warranty repair BRP would have to prove that what you did or did not do in the case of periodic maintenance service was the cause of the failure.

You might consider switching to full synthetic oil as many of us who have done so find the transmission shifts smoother than with the BRP semi synthetic blend oil. Good luck!
    …. and have done every maintenance that was followed …. keep good records as stated above ….. Rotella T-6 full syn. … google rebate for the T-6 they are giving quite a bit of money back …… Mike

Spyder Garage

I did have the dealership do the 3,000 mile service as I had been away from motorcycles for several decades but have returned to doing my own services.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I do keep all my service records and receipts on all service items. I used full synthetic oil in my 2015 and will on this 2019. I just thought for the first oil change I should use the Can Am XPS oil kit.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

As others have said. Do it yourself and keep some decent records.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

My 3k first service had 35 items checked, inspected or retorqued plus oil and filter change.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have no idea of 35 things to check. I always go over every possible thing I can think of that would need checked. I do this before every long trip. I am sure I do more than any dealer would do. About the only thing I would need a dealer for is the computer.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Just purchased a 2019 F3L. My intentions at this point are to ride it for about 1,000 miles and head up to Lamonster Garage to have some additional farkles put on. Bumpskid, rear lights, and top trunk rack. I will have them check the wheel alignment and have them do a laser one if needed.

At 3,000 miles...first service recommended...I will head back there for the oil change. I had them service both of my other Spyders when they arrived here in July and was happy with all.

I know they are not an "authorized" dealer...but know they can handle all of the above.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

The dealer "says" they checked this, that, and those. Frankly I don't trust most of them any farther than I can drop kick them. I have the tools and the knowledge and I know that this, that, and those were checked when I do the job. The very first farkle I buy for every bike I own is a shop manual. I keep decent records and the few warranty issues I have had have been addressed with no problem. I also double check any work the dealer may have performed under warranty.
    2015 RT , Black