Spyder Garage

Default Miles for break in

Looking for suggestions for how many miles to break in new F3 Limited??

TIA

Spyder Garage

I've always done the no high RPM's and vary your speed for the first 600 miles routine with my bikes.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Just ride it to 3,000 miles and change the oil.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Read the operator's guide. It has specific instructions; find them in the Table of Contents.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Ride it like you stole it...If I'm going to break in so to speak, I want it broke in the way I'm going to ride it. PS: this is is my opinion only may not be the best but it is my bike and I have had no problems doing so.
    To be continued....

Spyder Garage

I drove mine the way I always ride from day one. No break in. Change oil at 3000

Spyder Garage

Years ago, I was talking with a MC dealer who told me about a customer who bought a new bike. After a while, the customer brought the bike in stating it has a number of running problems and consumes oil and left it for the shop to take care of it. Knowing this guy doesn't want to hurt his engine, so he keeps the revs low, they took his bike for a vigorous ride, hitting the red line a few times. Problems solved! He never seated the piston rings.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

I went by the operator manual. Don't take but a couple rides and it is not that slow. Mostly it is varying the speeds and keeping RPMs down.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmccaffrey View Post
    Looking for suggestions for how many miles to break in new F3 Limited??

TIA
    http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Try this method; it works.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderyderjim View Post
    I believe in this system to an extent. I was told by an old engine guy to make at least 10 hard full power full throttle, but mid-RPM range pulls through the gears, with appropriate cool down cycles between the runs. The hard pulls are to seat the rings, but keeping the revs off of redline lets all the other stuff wear in smoothly. Best of both worlds.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Ride it normal for the first 100 miles. Vary your speeds and don't lug the motor. Lugging a motor is worse than high revving. Also, manually down shift as this helps load your rings properly. Remember, "break in" isn't always about your motor. Everything is new. Brake pads need to be mated to rotors, transmission gears need to be meshed, tires need to be scrubbed in, etc.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Igofshn View Post
    I drove mine the way I always ride from day one. No break in. Change oil at 3000
    When I took delivery of my 2014 RT, I put on 50 miles local riding the first day. The next day I did a 475 mile day trip to the NC mountains and rode it hard in the curvy mountain roads. 3 years later I was delivered my 2016 F3T while on my mountain vacation and put about 1300 miles on it in the NC/Tenn mountains. I did take care and kept my revs below 6k rpm's.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Ride it normal for the first 100 miles. Vary your speeds and don't lug the motor. Lugging a motor is worse than high revving. Also, manually down shift as this helps load your rings properly. Remember, "break in" isn't always about your motor. Everything is new. Brake pads need to be mated to rotors, transmission gears need to be meshed, tires need to be scrubbed in, etc.
    x 2. Brake pads and tires are a consideration for the first 350 miles or so. After that, normal riding and varying the speeds to make the motor work a little bit. You should be good to go.

The suggestion to follow the break-in information in the manual is good.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderyderjim View Post
    I agree with this method also. The ring to cylinder mating is probably the most important process during break-in. And from what I can tell. This method works very well.

Riding easy does not put pressure on the rings to expand against the cylinder wall. Short, hard acceleration causes the rings to expand against the cylinder wall creating a better mating surface, less blow by, and speeding up the seating in process. I use it.

You do want to stay away from the lower and upper RPM limits until you get some miles on the engine.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 12-09-2019 at 01:07 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I just rode mine like I normally would, I don't high rev any of my bikes but I did change the oil at 1800 miles. I didn't want the contaminated oil sitting in the bike for the winter months, I always store them with fresh oil so they're ready to go come March bike week.

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chasinsparks View Post
    Ride it like you stole it...If I'm going to break in so to speak, I want it broke in the way I'm going to ride it. PS: this is is my opinion only may not be the best but it is my bike and I have had no problems doing so.
    Ditto. Ran them all like that. All 30 or so of them (lost count). Spyder too (only three wheeler in my stable's list) and quads.
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey