Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default How many here rode a motorcycle to high school?

How many here owned and rode a motorcycle to high school and have owned one ever since, never breaking the chain of motorcycle ownership? What year did you graduate, and what brand was your first motorcycle? Scooters can count as a motorcycle if that was your first ride.

I graduated in "63" and my first ride was a Honda 50.

Spyder Garage

It's in my avatar and signature. Class of '55.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    It's in my avatar and signature. Class of '55.
    Sweet, was that a pedal start? Can't tell from the picture.

Spyder Garage

No to the did I ride a mc to high school.

Class of 63 here also. First motorcycle a Yamaha 80 one lunger. Purchased in 1966. Did not take me long to sieze the engine on that one.

Since then, its been pretty much steady ownership except for about 5 years in the late 80's.

I have been through all the "rice burner" brands. Three of some of them. From 80cc to 2000cc.

In 2008 the Spyder craze started. Have had six now and all the models except a Ryker.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 12-08-2019 at 02:35 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

First 2 wheel motorized trasnportation was a Sears minibike I got for my 11th birthday in 1966. We lived in a housing development, and got so I could change out the centrifugal clutch in a few minutes. Burned them out often riding down into the besement holes and up the dirt piles. Had an Allstate Sears moped for a while, and when I got my drivers license in 1971 Grandpa (Who worked at Sears & Roebuck) got me a leftover 1969 Allstate 250cc Twingle. Graduated in 1974.
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited, 2013 Triumph Bonneville T100
    Motorcycle Rights: AMA Charter Life Member, MRF, FORR Life Member Local 11 Southwest Missouri, Mid-South MILE organizing committee member
    2018 RT Limited , Got one, on, then off then on until Gloria decides if she likes it or not. blue

Spyder Garage

1948 pan head Harley in 1955 1958 graduate.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by honsfun View Post
    1948 pan head Harley in 1955 1958 graduate.
    Nice, you were lucky. Bet you wish you still had it.

Spyder Garage

250 Suzuki X6 Hustler. Class of 66.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

'73 Suzuki TM125, (Could ride trails from home to backyard of HS), Class of '76, Had breaks in MC ownership due to USAF PCS' and duty assignments, loving my RT.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Sweet, was that a pedal start? Can't tell from the picture.
    Kick start. And it had centrifugal clutch a suicide clutch lever that tensioned the v-belt drive.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Spyder Garage

Graduated in 1968. Rode a 305 Superhawk in high school. Had an S-90 Honda before that, but didn't have a license and was not supposed to ride it in town.

2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Yes---- " You meet the nicest people on a Honda"
    Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    Yes---- " You meet the nicest people on a Honda"
    Lew L
    Still got one. Chopped it out of the tree that grew around the handlebar once and moved it, but it is grown back into the tree again now.

And this is the 350 Honda I owned when I lived in Taiwan in the early 1970s;

Spyder Garage

first bike was a sears compact scooter, before high school,then a honda 160, triumph trophy trail 500, then a honda 305 scrambler while in high school, 1973 graduate, then honda 450, then honda 750, then about everything harley made , plus a victory crossroads , now 2013 harley road king and 2015 rs
    2015 rs

Spyder Garage

Class of 1964. 1948 Chevy convertible with a 56 Dodge mini Hemi hooked up to a 36 Chevy floor shifter. Started riding that fall on borrowed and rented bikes, bought my 1st bike in 68 a 1956 AJS 500 single, various old barn find Harleys, then a 750 Norton Commando. Yamaha V4 for the next 25 years. Went to a Honda Trike then the Spyder.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Started riding in the 8th grade on a hand me down 1949 Cushman Roadking which was quickly replaced by a 8hp '59 Cushman Super Eagle. I graduated high school in 1963 and for the last 60 years I have never been without a bike.
    2015 F3 S , Can Am Red

Spyder Garage

My first was a 1945 Cushman scooter which I rode to work on track houses for returning Vets of WW2. Was 12 and graduated in 1951 and in the Navy 2 months later.

Spyder Garage

Got a Suzuki GT 380 just for gas mileage - had no idea it was the start of an addiction. It was a 3 cylinder, 2 stroker, and if I remember right it had 3 sets of points (remember those) that were a pain to adjust.
    I bought it because It had 6 speeds and digital readout, pretty cool for that time! I ended up running out of gas taking it home, and was really embarrassed to find out that bikes had a reserve tank AFTER I pushed it home!
    Class of '81

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MrBones View Post
    My first was a 1945 Cushman scooter which I rode to work on track houses for returning Vets of WW2. Was 12 and graduated in 1951 and in the Navy 2 months later.
    Good to know there is someone here that's older than me. Betcha wished you still had that Cushman.

Spyder Garage

Like Gwolf I started on a Honda S-90 at 16, followed by a Honda 305 Superhawk within a year. I graduated in '67 and at last count I've owned around 30 motorcycles.

Spyder Garage

This was my last Harley. Built from the ground up out of a used hard mount Sportster 1200. Nobody was building trikes when I needed one. Rode this for almost 20 years and put around 350,000 miles on it. The one I put together before this one that didn't work out so well was a 1998 hard mount Sportster.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    Still got one. Chopped it out of the tree that grew around the handlebar once and moved it, but it is grown back into the tree again now.

And this is the 350 Honda I owned when I lived in Taiwan in the early 1970s;

Several years ago now, I had a o'l cow get out and I followed her tracks across the highway and discovered an old Indian MC grown into tree.
    Talked to the property owner about it and he said, leave it right there it's and old Indian artifact. LOL

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If a Wizzer motor bike counts I rode mine starting in the 5th grade then in the 6th grade moved up to a Cushman Scooter and later to a Eagle in Jr. High. then
    on to a Mustang ( that is a small motorcycle) Mustang.jpg in Highschool.
    The bike shown here is much newer than the one I had I Graduated in 1958

How many here owned and rode a motorcycle to high school and have owned one ever since, never breaking the chain of motorcycle ownership? What year did you graduate, and what brand was your first motorcycle? Scooters can count as a motorcycle if that was your first ride.

I graduated in "63" and my first ride was a Honda 50.
    Last edited by Motorcycledave; 12-08-2019 at 08:42 PM.

Spyder Garage

Rode a 125 Yamaha Enduro in high school. Graduated in 1973. Bought a new Kawasaki 900 Z1 and took my first road trip in 74. Longest I went without a motorcycle was 5 months. I'm 64 now and have no intention of hanging up my helmet. My stable currently has 2015 Spyder RT, 2009 Yamaha TMax, and 1981 Suzuki GS850G.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Several years ago now, I had a o'l cow get out and I followed her tracks across the highway and discovered an old Indian MC grown into tree.
    Talked to the property owner about it and he said, leave it right there it's and old Indian artifact. LOL
    My brother was supposed to bring me the engine for that one, which was in pasteboard box, about 40 years ago. I leaned it on a tree out by the shop. He got a divorce, one thing, then the other, and nobody knew what ever happened to the engine. Been right there ever since and my brother died about 5 years ago. Everything that was still any good has been stripped off of it.