Spyder Garage

Default 2012 RT-S; yes or no

I bought a new F3L a few months ago! My wife said she was not really interested in riding on the back or riding in general. Well, after we BOTH took a riding class.... her mind has changed
    She won’t ride nearly as much as I will but with two bikes, we can ride with both of our kids!
    Since we spent a pretty penny on the F3L and since she won’t ride a lot.... we are looking at a used 2012 RT-S. It’s got 25,000 miles and the shop is asking $11,999
    Any quirks we should be aware of? We won’t be doing any mechanical work ourselves! Is it possible to purchase an extended warranty? (BEST)
    We are also kicking around the idea of a new F3 base as they have been discounted down to $12,999... still more than I want to spend!
    Any and all feedback welcomed!
    Thanks in advance and Happy Holidays!!!!!!!

Spyder Garage

Hi afish.... if you want a warranty on whatever 'other' Spyder you get and you really don't want to do any mechanical or servicing work yourself, then as much as I personally prefer them and think that the V-twin engined Spyders are a 'more exciting' Spyder to own & ryde, I think you've really gotta go for the base level F3!

If I understand the way it works over there correctly, and certainly the way it works here in Oz, the 2012 RT won't come with any warranty OR any a/mkt warranty that's worth buying; and it's also getting to an age where it's more likely to need some work in the foreseeable future.... work that Dealers/mechanical workshops just can't or won't be able to do any more!

So given the choice of a potentially reliable new machine that COMES with a factory warranty and still gives you at least a couple of years for that to run before you hafta commit to buying the BEST extended warranty, I reckon it's pretty much a no brainer....

But it is your choice.... or possibly more appropriately, your wife's choice?!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default YES or NO

My tip, Look at 2016 Spyders or newer.
    Reason: You can get a good Warranty on these. A 2016 could have Warranty till 2021.
    Look, Ask and Listen. Good Luck on Your Mission....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

I have the 2012 RTL, and to me that price seems high for the mileage, but it's probably close to book! They are a nice machine, and if it's been well maintained witch unless you have some sort of records on that you don't know, I would think the F3 would be the way to go. You say you don't want to work on it, and you want a warranty!!! And that price seems pretty good for a new unit!! Good luck,, I would love to have my wife interested it driving her own, but she loves sitting on the back and smell the roses!!
    P.S. Now that I saw the post of the RT your looking at, are they throwing the trailer in with the deal?? Good Luck!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

One thing to keep in mind is that the F3 is more of a cruiser style seating position where the RT is pretty "Standard" meaning upright. I've never been a fan of the slouch you have to assume riding with your feet that far forward, so while they are nice bikes, they are not for me.

I have a 2010 and will be the first to admit that the 3 cyl motor is the better of the two, but there is nothing wrong with the 2 cyl the older bikes come with. You will get some better mileage with the 3 as well, and it runs at a slower RPM as well.

That price does sound high esp with the miles, most likely at a dealer? Winter is coming, if they dont sell it to you, it will most likely sit there till spring and then it may sit till the price comes down some.
    2019 BMW C650GT, 2010 Spyder RT-S, 2009 BMW R1200RT,(sold) 2009 Honda Silverwing (Sold), 2009 Kawasaki 500 Vulcan (Sold)

\
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Spyder Garage

Go for a 2014 or newer Spyder. The 3 cyl. bikes are way more reliable. And don't need to be ridden at high rpm's. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There is a 2018 RT in the "For sale" section for 17,900...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by afish View Post
    I bought a new F3L a few months ago! My wife said she was not really interested in riding on the back or riding in general. Well, after we BOTH took a riding class.... her mind has changed
    She won’t ride nearly as much as I will but with two bikes, we can ride with both of our kids!
    Since we spent a pretty penny on the F3L and since she won’t ride a lot.... we are looking at a used 2012 RT-S. It’s got 25,000 miles and the shop is asking $11,999
    Any quirks we should be aware of? We won’t be doing any mechanical work ourselves! Is it possible to purchase an extended warranty? (BEST)
    We are also kicking around the idea of a new F3 base as they have been discounted down to $12,999... still more than I want to spend!
    Any and all feedback welcomed!
    Thanks in advance and Happy Holidays!!!!!!!
    $11,999 for a 2012 RTS is a lot of money for that year. My " X " got that for Her 2012 RTS as a trade in …… in 2014, so 5 years later and that dealer wants the same price ………. I've seen 2014 RT's here for $12,000 and that's a way better machine ….. that V-twin ( the 2012 ) is nothing like your F3-L …… good luck …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Have you considered a Ryker? You could get a new one for the price of the used one you are looking at. Then you would have the warranty, and the opportunity to add a extended warranty.
    David Petrick
    Certified Professional Photographer
    2020 Limited Dark , Magma Red Black

Spyder Garage

The 2012 RT is plenty capable, but you can get much better deals than that in Cycle Trader alone. I am with Dave on this. My wife and I have dressed out the RSS we just bought, and I will be picking up the Ryker next year, I want one more year of QA riding on it at other peoples expense, I will wait for the recals, they alwyas happen on any new model. But my second Can Am will be the Ryker 900, especially now I know we can get the ECU flashed. But if you need service and maintenance services, I would look at the newer machines. Parts are dwindling on the 998 now that they are out of production, too.
    2012 RS-S , Baja Ron Plug Wire Kit and NGK Iridium Plugs Grey and Black

Spyder Garage

The asking price is almost $4K high. I just recently traded in a 2011 RT A & C (one step below the S).

One good thing...the 2012 RT-S is considered the best 998 by many.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Being the owner of a 2012 RT L I have to disagree with some of the comments here
    1)Less reliable. No way, very reliable. I have 53000+ on mine with no breakdowns. Put 164 miles on it yesterday.
    2) no worthwhile warranty. Zurich provides a very good aftermarket warranty with a $50.00 deductible You take it to a dealer they go to Zurich for clearance dealer fixes Zurich pays, you ride home happy.
    3) The price seems high to me, but I just read another post that says it includes a trailer. If so that is probably ok. If you don't need or want the trailer look for one with a lower price or take the trailer and resell it for about $2000.
    You will have to change oil more often on the 2012 and add oil between changes. Your gas mileage won't be as good, but after 150 miles I am ready to get off anyway. The 3cycl 2014 and newer go farther between oil changes, get better gas mileage, and cost more to buy. Depending on your budget constraints you may be able to find a 2014 0r 2015 in the $14,000 range. If possible have your wife ride an RT Vtwin and 3cyc. There is no hurry here, look around you will find a good deal.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by afish View Post
    That's about $3000 to $4000 high. NADA low retail is just over $9000 and they over value motorcycles based on my limited experience. If everything looks good and you like it offer them $7500. After they reject the offer gradually move up to no more than $9000. If they're hurting to sell, they'll sell! Play hardball!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Being the owner of a 2012 RT L I have to disagree with some of the comments here
    1)Less reliable. No way, very reliable. I have 53000+ on mine with no breakdowns. Put 164 miles on it yesterday.
    2) no worthwhile warranty. Zurich provides a very good aftermarket warranty with a $50.00 deductible You take it to a dealer they go to Zurich for clearance dealer fixes Zurich pays, you ride home happy.
    3) The price seems high to me, but I just read another post that says it includes a trailer. If so that is probably ok. If you don't need or want the trailer look for one with a lower price or take the trailer and resell it for about $2000.
    You will have to change oil more often on the 2012 and add oil between changes. Your gas mileage won't be as good, but after 150 miles I am ready to get off anyway. The 3cycl 2014 and newer go farther between oil changes, get better gas mileage, and cost more to buy. Depending on your budget constraints you may be able to fine a 2014 0r 2015 in the $14,000 range. If possible have your wife ride an RT Vtwin and 3cyc. There is no hurry here, look around you will find a good deal.
    I read the Ad you are referring to ….. the Trailer is separate @ $3200.00

Spyder Garage

2012 is probably the best year if you are looking at a RT-S.
    MPG is pitiful, and the platform is dated, but it is a powerful and reliable machine.
    I just traded mine for a 19, dealer gave me 10k for trade in value. Now that's funny money, retail to retail, so I would expect to pay 9 for a previously loved unit.
    Go over it well, common problems are vacuum lines, spark plug wires, air system, and brakes. All problems can be addressed though through repair with factory or after market parts. Brakes on the 12 are the "smaller" factory brakes, not Brembo, that may be a consideration for you. Aftermarket pads are available, but moving the clips from old to new drove me into getting factory front pads. My rear brake always squeaked, no matter what was done, it was always barking.
    The VTwin is a shear monster on the oil. Personally I do not like the recommendation for 5w40, but there are a lot of high mileage units still running on nothing but the CanAm oil, you'll have to choose for yourself. There was a comment above about adding oil. There are reasons for that, especially if you stay with the recommended 5w40.
    Good luck in your search and purchase.

Spyder Garage

There is nothing wrong with the V-twins, I bought one, and actually prefer the V-twin sound, the V-twin actually has a higher redline, and after tuning, the three cyclinder does not have the throttle response my motor does, fairly certain that after tuning, i am pretty much head to head with the 3 cylinder, but thats my preferences.

My concern is that Cycle trader has better deas (way better deals on the 998's) for RT's than the price you discussed, several are in the current listing under 10K and with established dealers, you can even ship one in far cheaper than the one you are looking at with far less miles.

There are a number of 3 cylinder out there too under that price too, hold your cards close if I were you, especially with the new model years starting to gather dust.....and dont forget, that Rykr 900 is a darned perky machine with drastically different characterisitcs, and they are under 12K, I would have your wife ride one, I have my test ride scheduled. Our team plan is my wife will ride the 998 RSS which I have dressed custom for her, and I will ride the Ryker Rally, she will manage our storage with the RSS, the extra bags, and the Freedom Trailer I just bought over the weekend.
    Kraig B. Kumlin, M.M., M.C.P. (Retired)

Only Two States Left to Visit on MC or Trike, RI and CT

Spyder Garage

I am into my RSS with 6500 miles for 7K purchase price, I have 2000 in upgrades onthe bike that I budgeted in saving on buying the RSS over the ST model. I would have paid 11K for the ST. I am looking at a used Ryker Rally with 500 miles for 9K
    Kraig B. Kumlin, M.M., M.C.P. (Retired)

Only Two States Left to Visit on MC or Trike, RI and CT

Spyder Garage

I agree with those that have recommended taking a look at the Ryker. We have a 2014 RTS. My wife got her license and has driving the RT some, but once she got on a Ryker... it was hers. She loves it and feels much more comfortable riding it than she did the RT. Just yesterday she told me that NOW she understands what we all meant by PMS... because she is suffering with all the snow and cold we have! :-)

Benefit of the Ryker is also price and a warranty on a new bike rather than something out of warranty.

Best wishes for you both to get out and ride!
    --
    Bob L.
    Worcester County Massachusetts
    www.rk-mass2.org

Spyder Garage

Ryker or the New F3 base model 100 HP semi-auto is only 15,999 Brand New and probably less as a leftover?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!