Spyder Garage

Default UVC Fair or rip off?

I was looking at an ad for a 2011 Sypder and noticed the dealer made a comment that the UVC (among other charges) was not included in the sale price. I have never heard of a UVC so did a little digging. It sounds like an additional charge the dealer tacks on for doing a safety check on the vehicle, since it's previously owned. What do y'all think about this? Just a little nickel dime tag on to add to their profit margin?
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

I say, tell me what you want and I will say yes or hell no, don't tell me that you want to tack more on after you see me!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Sounds like a dealer to steer clear of to me
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mazo EMS2 View Post
    Sounds like a dealer to steer clear of to me
    Yea, it sure does. I found one mention of this UVC charge on another forum. The poster there said he was charged $500.00 for this "safety inspection". This was on top of the tax, license, title (all legit) and document fee (BS).
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It must be different in the US.

Here its the dealers responsibility to ensure any vehicle that leaves his lot is safe to do so. I'd love to see what the safety inspection actually checks and to what degree.
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Another one of those add-on charges that needs to be discussed before a contract is signed.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 12-08-2019 at 12:14 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

That's something the dealer should have taken care of before taking possession of the machine his problem not yours I wouldn't pay extra

Spyder Garage

Just my take on this subject, may not be pertinent as the Spyder is used. To obtain absolute lowest price I shop around, and see what the total out the door price is at comparable dealers. I will (and do) cross state lines, but you have to be aware of taxation issues between states before signing the dotted line. I build a spreadsheet and track who I talked to, when it happened, and how much was offered. I only talk in out the door prices, as this eliminates all of the other useless BS. I keep making the circles, shopping continuously. I add to the spreadsheet when a new unit comes along, mark off the ones that have sold. For new items, there are usually a few things that drive the price down with time passage. Floor-plan is one of them on consignment items, year end taxes is another. I've used this methodology 3 times in the last couple of years, and had one dealer tell me about a new truck I was buying that "They can't sell it to you for that". They did, and it is what I'm driving right now, purchased at significantly below blue book. Be persistent. Be willing to walk away.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by askitee View Post
    It must be different in the US.

Here its the dealers responsibility to ensure any vehicle that leaves his lot is safe to do so. I'd love to see what the safety inspection actually checks and to what degree.
    It sounds to me like that's what they're doing. They're just passing on the cost of that to the next buyer.
    Greg Kamer

USAF, 20 years, retired

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    Just my take on this subject, may not be pertinent as the Spyder is used. To obtain absolute lowest price I shop around, and see what the total out the door price is at comparable dealers. I will (and do) cross state lines, but you have to be aware of taxation issues between states before signing the dotted line.
    I only once purchased a vehicle from out of state. Actually purchased it while serving with the military in Germany and picked it up in New Jersey. They only gave me a Temp sticker for the window and said I'd need to settle everything else with Washington state. When I got here the DMV people told me I had to pay the full Washington sales tax which made sense since I didn't pay anything before I got here. They told me if I had paid New Jersey sales tax, and it was less then Washington, I would only need to pay the difference. If it was higher, I would not have to pay anything. Of course that was forty years ago. Things may have changed since then.
    Greg Kamer

USAF, 20 years, retired

Spyder Garage

Stupid question: What is UVC.

Please remember that I am Down Under and have not heard of this.

Cheers

Spyder Garage

UVC, dealer prep, service tech lunch fee, etc... call it anything you want. It's all profit to the dealer and they are entitled to a profit. Dont play their games with them. Just ask for the "out the door, bottom line price" and make your decision based on that. That's all that matters at the end of the day. If they try to add something after you've made your "out the door" deal, tell them to take it away or walk if they don't.
    2018 Spyder RT Limited
    Asphalt Gray
    Can Am Passenger Armrests
    Can Am Comfort Seat
    Spyder Accessories Floating Footpegs
    Utopia Driver Backrest
    Bajaron Sway Bar
    Sena 20s Bluetooth
    Lidlocks Helmet Holders
    F4 Tall and Wide Tinted Windshield
    Fobo Tire Monitor
    Lamonster Spyderdock Cell Phone Holder
    Sheepskin Seat Cover
    Drink2Go Cup Holders
    Magic Mirror
    Can Am Trailer Hitch
    Missing Belt Guard

Wish List - LED Headlights and Fog lights

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fearless View Post

Cheers
    I'm from the US and I don't know what it is either.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Cheers
    used vehicle certification, in the original post.

Spyder Garage

Cheers
    Used Vehicle Certification I believe. Some dealers will claim they have to perform an inspection on a used vehicle to make sure it is safe to sell, and then try to pass that cost along to the next buyer. I believe the dealer should be conducting this type of inspection used to be sure the vehicle they are taking in is in good condition.
    Greg Kamer

USAF, 20 years, retired

Spyder Garage

Here in WI, it's required by law for a m/v dealership to do a safety inspection on all used vehicles that are to be put up for sale. Generally, they absorb the labor cost in in the selling price. They also are required to show you, if asked, of the results of the safety inspection and any parts/needed attention. Sound like Used vehicle Inspection is a blatant charge for safety

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    Just my take on this subject, may not be pertinent as the Spyder is used. To obtain absolute lowest price I shop around, and see what the total out the door price is at comparable dealers. I will (and do) cross state lines, but you have to be aware of taxation issues between states before signing the dotted line. I build a spreadsheet and track who I talked to, when it happened, and how much was offered. I only talk in out the door prices, as this eliminates all of the other useless BS. I keep making the circles, shopping continuously. I add to the spreadsheet when a new unit comes along, mark off the ones that have sold. For new items, there are usually a few things that drive the price down with time passage. Floor-plan is one of them on consignment items, year end taxes is another. I've used this methodology 3 times in the last couple of years, and had one dealer tell me about a new truck I was buying that "They can't sell it to you for that". They did, and it is what I'm driving right now, purchased at significantly below blue book. Be persistent. Be willing to walk away.
    You are spot on with your research. I do very similar when purchasing, but don't go as far as keeping a spread sheet. When I went to buy my last big purchase, I was drawn in by one dealership who had what I thought I wanted for $25,995. They said they were negotiable if I came down in person. I went down with $26k cash for an out the door deal. After the test drive, they gave me an out the door price of $28,995. Needless to say, I showed them the money and then walked out.
    2 weeks later I went to look at a newer model that was listed for $31,995. They also said they were negotiable and gave me an out the door price of $29,995. I went to walk away and they asked what it would take to sell that day. I offered $28k cash. They said no, but then agreed if I would finance for atleast 3 months (I found out that they get $3k kick back from the bank). I agreed, but they owed me a couple of things (convertible cover and the extra key fob). After taking delivery of the car and financing $27.5k, they then wanted to charge me for the extra key fob ($350). I said no and went to their main dealership. The owner finally gave me the key fob the next week, and I paid the car off that following week, so the sales team missed out on the extra $3k from the bank.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    You are spot on with your research. I do very similar when purchasing, but don't go as far as keeping a spread sheet. When I went to buy my last big purchase, I was drawn in by one dealership who had what I thought I wanted for $25,995. They said they were negotiable if I came down in person. I went down with $26k cash for an out the door deal. After the test drive, they gave me an out the door price of $28,995. Needless to say, I showed them the money and then walked out.
    2 weeks later I went to look at a newer model that was listed for $31,995. They also said they were negotiable and gave me an out the door price of $29,995. I went to walk away and they asked what it would take to sell that day. I offered $28k cash. They said no, but then agreed if I would finance for atleast 3 months (I found out that they get $3k kick back from the bank). I agreed, but they owed me a couple of things (convertible cover and the extra key fob). After taking delivery of the car and financing $27.5k, they then wanted to charge me for the extra key fob ($350). I said no and went to their main dealership. The owner finally gave me the key fob the next week, and I paid the car off that following week, so the sales team missed out on the extra $3k from the bank.
    I hate those games dealerships play...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-09-2019 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Avoiding Word filter....
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

All used vehicles sold in Arizona by any dealer automatically comes with an implied warranty of merchantability. There can be exclusions but those must be disclosed in writing. A lot of dealers won't disclose this to customers and just say the sale is "as is". But ALL dealer sales come with a 15 day and/or 500-mile warranty. I'll bet there are many other states that have similar provisions. But don't look for used car lots to advertise that. For a number of years I worked part time (for fun and not much profit) at a used RV (motorhome) sales dealer. That dealership extended the implied warranty to 30 days. If anything went wrong with the coach regardless of circumstance, it was repaired for the first 30 days without charge to the customer. Every used vehicle was completely inspected not only for safety but also to insure every system and feature functioned properly. There was never a seperate line item charge for doing this. I can't imagine doing business anyother way. But I guess some places do..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi