Spyder Garage

Default New plugs gapped at .029 have improved gas mileage

Since I got my Ryker last February the mileage has been all over the place. When I put in new plugs (oem) and gapped them at .029 I noticed a little more power as I left my driveway. I have done my own tunes for around 50 years, I never expect any improvement just to keep the norm. So i was very surprised to see better mileage. At a least 5 fill ups I have been getting from 40 to 42 mpg. I have on occasion got that before, but the next fill up might be 31 mph. The original plugs I pulled were gapped at .032. I always make sure the gas tank is full when I gas up. I am hesitant to make any claims, but I have put a few hundred miles on the new plugs and have never seen lower mph than 40 mpg. I don't use any particular brand of gas, I just use what ever is convenient. I have always thought my Ryker got poor gas mileage until now. I would be curious if anyone else can get the same results. I am over 12,000 miles and the "transmission needs service" light has been on for a few weeks, it would be nice to able to turn it off as I am not planing on changing the belt at least until next summer. I can ride year around here as long as it's not raining and not below about 45 degrees.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oregoncoast View Post
    Since I got my Ryker last February the mileage has been all over the place. When I put in new plugs (oem) and gapped them at .029 I noticed a little more power as I left my driveway. I have done my own tunes for around 50 years, I never expect any improvement just to keep the norm. So i was very surprised to see better mileage. At a least 5 fill ups I have been getting from 40 to 42 mpg. I have on occasion got that before, but the next fill up might be 31 mph. The original plugs I pulled were gapped at .032. I always make sure the gas tank is full when I gas up. I am hesitant to make any claims, but I have put a few hundred miles on the new plugs and have never seen lower mph than 40 mpg. I don't use any particular brand of gas, I just use what ever is convenient. I have always thought my Ryker got poor gas mileage until now. I would be curious if anyone else can get the same results. I am over 12,000 miles and the "transmission needs service" light has been on for a few weeks, it would be nice to able to turn it off as I am not planing on changing the belt at least until next summer. I can ride year around here as long as it's not raining and not below about 45 degrees.
    Thanks very useful info ……….. Did you happen to check the GAP - Before you adjusted it ….. Please share if you did ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

I don't know the gap, but I had to open to get to .029

Spyder Garage

Ryker owners not only need a way to turn off the transmission warning message but we also need a panel door to open to visually check and measure the CVT belt. I have 3400 miles on my Rally and its hibernating up here in Northern Illinois. I don't feel like I'll need mine checked until possibly over 15000 miles. I drive it like a senior citizen. OH, I am, 68 (next July)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamryder View Post
    Ryker owners not only need a way to turn off the transmission warning message but we also need a panel door to open to visually check and measure the CVT belt. I have 3400 miles on my Rally and its hibernating up here in Northern Illinois. I don't feel like I'll need mine checked until possibly over 15000 miles. I drive it like a senior citizen. OH, I am, 68 (next July)
    We are the same age, most of the time I ride like a senior but sometimes the crazy teenager comes out and I can't seem to stop him.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oregoncoast View Post
    This is interesting. And agreed! Unexpected!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Ditto for me. I am 75, but when the teen in me comes out...I am 29 again!

Spyder Garage

My wife's 2019 Ryker was running very rough after the initial pick up, it kept going into limp mode and it would die during idle. We ended up taking it to the dealer and they found that the OEM spark plugs from the factory were trashed. Ever sense, her Ryker has been running very smooth.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SICARIO View Post
    My wife's 2019 Ryker was running very rough after the initial pick up, it kept going into limp mode and it would die during idle. We ended up taking it to the dealer and they found that the OEM spark plugs from the factory were trashed. Ever sense, her Ryker has been running very smooth.
    'Trashed' in what way?
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Oregoncoast, is yours the 600 or the 900?
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tslepebull View Post
    Oregoncoast, is yours the 600 or the 900?
    A 900 with about 13,000 miles of fun on it.

Spyder Garage

The dealer wasn't totally clear but I believe they were all gummed up with carbon or something