Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Which of the 11 American sub-cultures do you identify with?

2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Here in southern Minnesota I'm in Yankeedom, but I'm more like a Midlands
    2016 F3-T , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

I don't identify as a member of any sub-culture. I identify as American, plain and simple.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Navy veteran.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

i'm american-american, or since i was born in the u.s. i am native american or since 40,000 years ago my ancestors came from the conitinent of
    africa i am african american.

Spyder Garage

I am a full blooded American. I am not a hyphenated American.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    I don't identify as a member of any sub-culture. I identify as American, plain and simple.
    I have to agree. I understand what the map link is trying to show. And it may have some merit. I am not criticizing the OP in any way here. It is an interesting concept that he wanted to share. I get that. No harm done.

But looking at the bigger picture. I think there is way too much effort being spent to divide and pigeon-hole American's today. Factions are identified based on everything from skin color to age. Then each group is separated and targeted. And all are being told what to think. Some are told they got a raw deal and they should be angry. Others are told they got a better deal than they should have and should be punished. Others are idolized based on an agenda, not necessarily on merit. I just do not think this is healthy, and certainly does not contribute to a strong and unified nation.

I would rather see us thinking for ourselves and not falling in lockstep with what the 5:00 pm news tells us to think. I would rather see us working WITH each other, than working AGAINST each other. Instead of opposing teams (like football). We should consider each other as family. As much as is possible anyway.

If we are to target any particular group. It should be those who break the law. I think it a very bad idea to factionalize law abiding American citizens into opposing groups. Again, I know this is not what the OP meant with this post. I apologize for the soap box. Nothing more here than my $0.02.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 12-07-2019 at 09:39 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post

If we are to target any particular group. It should be those who break the law. I think it a very bad idea to factionalize law abiding American citizens into opposing groups. Again, I know this is not what the OP meant with this post. I apologize for the soap box. Nothing more here than my $0.02.
    I agree BajaRon; but, you will always have opposing teams duking it out, no matter the issue. I think it's called polarizing.

Spyder Garage

An interesting subject so far. Having lived in four of the areas mentioned, I will say that there are some good points mentioned.

I don't think I am a "hillbilly" as mentioned for the area I have chosen to move to. And believe it or not, I have not yet run into any of the "hillbilly" stereotypes that are so much portrayed for here. Nice people all.

One of the great things about our country are the regional differences. Some places are like a whole different country. I have used the phrase, a nice place to visit, but I would not want to live here. That does not make them bad though. I will mention that I have had the pleasure of visiting most of our great country. I now have to work on the last ten states or so. That is in the picture. My latest move puts me within close proximity to about six new ones.

This is a great subject, IMO, as long as it does not turn into political nitpicking or name calling. It would be good to see this one live out its normal cycle in the queue.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 12-07-2019 at 12:49 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

My ancestors came to the Florida Territory long before it was a state. I am a veteran and have been around people from all areas of this country and a lot of other countries too. I can take a little ribbing about my southern accent and redneck jokes don't bother me a bit. If people treat me fairly I will return the favor. If they don't treat me fairly, I will also return that favor. It does not matter where you live.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Once again I've got'a side with BajaRon. I guess I'm going to have to start calling him RightOnRon LOL Wooderd's conclusions have holes in them large enough to shove a mid sized state through. IMHO of course. Divisionist will always be around pushing their agendas, and hopefully there will be enough of them to keep each other occupied and leave the rest of us alone. I (we) are all Americans first, then we are black, brown, red, white or whatever, but in the end we are Americans. Funny; a good friend of mine was born in South Africa. His dad worked for a US mining company down there when he was born. He's actually as Caucasian as person could be. However, when filling out forms and applications he always marks African/American. The results have ranged from funny to some seriously heated incidents.

Spyder Garage

Like me, some here were born in the mid 1930s and can remember the WWII years when we were all Americans. We were patriotic and obedient too - for the most part. We all knew there was a war on and what it was we were fighting for. After the war, we were still bonded, but sometime in the mid 60s things began to change. Some of the changes were for the better and long overdue, other changes not so good.
    BajaRon nailed it when he suggests that we now look for differences as a way of separating the group we identify with from others. And that's a crying shame. Divisions are not helping our society, they are hurting it. Immediately after 9-11 we were all Americans again, even waving flags that were seen everywhere. What will it take, i wonder, to unite us again and hopefully for a long. long time.
    Just an old guy blathering - I'll yield the floor.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Spyder Garage

The map also doesn't acknowledge the existence of islands in those areas -- I live in Austin, Texas, which is most definitely a Left Coast island in the middle of whatever subculture you want to call Texas -- and I certainly wouldn't call West Texas an extension of Appalachia. Having lived in 8 of the 11 regions for extended periods, I would tend to agree with others that the noise introduced when summarizing/generalizing in this manner is awfully costly and reduces whatever possible value such a summary might bring to the point of meaninglessness.
    Regards,

Bret

2017 RT-S Orbital Blue
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    SpyderPops LED Bumpskid, Spyclops II LED, Full View Turn Signals & Belt Guard
    Sena 20S Bluetooth Headsets
    Brake Free Helmet Light
    FOBO Bike for Trike
    Rugged Geek RG1000 Safety Plus Jump Starter/Air Compressor
    Lamonster RAM mount/Techmount TechGripper
    Drink2Go Cup Holders
    UltraGard Half Cover
    2017 RT-S , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I have to agree. I understand what the map link is trying to show. And it may have some merit. I am not criticizing the OP in any way here. It is an interesting concept that he wanted to share. I get that. No harm done.

But looking at the bigger picture. I think there is way too much effort being spent to divide and pigeon-hole American's today. Factions are identified based on everything from skin color to age. Then each group is separated and targeted. And all are being told what to think. Some are told they got a raw deal and they should be angry. Others are told they got a better deal than they should have and should be punished. Others are idolized based on an agenda, not necessarily on merit. I just do not think this is healthy, and certainly does not contribute to a strong and unified nation.
    FWIW, I think this was supposed to be a fairly objective analysis of the very real differences in values, world views and behavior patterns that do exist in different geographical parts of our country. The objective is to understand those differences rather than exploit them or drive wedges between them. That said, just as understanding nuclear energy can lead to constructive or destructive pursuits by mankind, so can this information be used or misused by various factions.

I probably identify most closely with New France at this point in my life, but the climate is not to my liking.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Is the Far West still the Far West to the Left Coast? And where is the Near West?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LongIsland View Post
    Is the Far West still the Far West to the Left Coast? And where is the Near West?
    I thought that to New Yorkers, the U.S. stops at the Ohio River. That's what I saw on the cover of a New Yorker magazine.

Spyder Garage

i'm 100% gun toting beer drinking pickup truck driving hillbilly redneck, except for the racist part, i truly don't like a racist or anyone who puts down anyone because of anything, i especially don't like people who look down on the poor because i grew up poorer than most people would even believe,
    2015 rs

Spyder Garage

So my parents were Far West (father, Utah) and mother New France (Canada) and they met in Hawaii. I was born in the Spanish Caribbean (So Florida) Grew up in New France (New Orleans) Lived in South America (Argentina) and now live in the Far West (Central Utah). I think many Americans are in the same boat and those areas are not near so homogeneous as many might like to suppose. On the other hand there are many forces trying for whatever reasons to drive real or artificial wedges between us. It is interesting to see what we might look like by region, but we really are circumscribed within one great whole called the United States.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

None of the above------- Hint: Graduated from the University of Mars. And I do have a PU 238 Tissue Modulator with back up nuclear reactor.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    So my parents were Far West (father, Utah) and mother New France (Canada) and they met in Hawaii. I was born in the Spanish Caribbean (So Florida) Grew up in New France (New Orleans) Lived in South America (Argentina) and now live in the Far West (Central Utah). I think many Americans are in the same boat and those areas are not near so homogeneous as many might like to suppose. On the other hand there are many forces trying for whatever reasons to drive real or artificial wedges between us. It is interesting to see what we might look like by region, but we really are circumscribed within one great whole called the United States.
    Great post. But, I misread your last line, and had to reread.

Spyder Garage

Can't read the article because I have an AD Blocker! I get the Giist of the article and I agree with Ron!
    USAF MSgt, Retired
    2018 F3 Intense Red
    Squared Away Lasar alignment, TricLED Headlights, Foglights,Safety Bundle with Turn Module, BajaRon Sway Bar,Squared Away Mirror Wedges, Stebel Air Horn, Dash Turn Indicators, TricLED USA Flag
    2018 F3L , Intense Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    ..... And I do have a PU 238 Tissue Modulator with back up nuclear reactor.
    What?! Still using Plutonium?? And no Flux Capacitator?! Sooo outre!

If the problem wasn't such a hot subject & so potentially shocking, I'd probably need a pacemaker too!!

Sorry, I just hadta!! It's a compulsion....

I can never find that 'tongue in cheek' emojie when I need it??!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Great post. But, I misread your last line, and had to reread.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze