Thread: My Dzus Install

Spyder Garage

Default My Dzus Install

So, I've read about the folks who have lost the $270 side panel (including the nameplate), but I always installed mine with Windex and usually pull the rubber grommets out when removing. Until the other day. Got home and one was hanging by a thread, 2 of the 3 pins had pulled out (not installed fully?). Lucky I didn't lose it. I had read a lot of good advice, so I had already procured the required Dzus hardware from Kurvygirl. Here's how I did it.

Put the bracket on upside down to get center-lines. Yours may differ from mine due to assembly tolerances. Drill with 1/16" bit, then use step drill as it really does make a cleaner hole. I drilled mine to 1/4"
    Dzus Installation (1).JPG

I used painters tape to carry bracket center-line to top to allow for accurate marking of the side panel hole. Do this with the side panel fully mounted and seated.
    Dzus Installation (2).JPG

The Dzus bracket comes with about 1/4" spread, my fasteners wouldn't catch the pins and I had to squeeze the brackets with pliers to about 3/16" to get them to work.
    Dzus Installation (3).JPG

Install complete. No lost panels. Also, you don't have to remove the upper hook on the side panel, the panel can be installed with no problem, the fastener falls right into the hole and doesn't interfere with panel installation.
    Dzus Installation (4).JPG
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Glad you did not lose the panel.

Why did you install the Dzus in such plain sight and on the panels trailing edge?

Sorry, with all the quarter turn stuff I deal with, still not a Dzus fan after decades of being around them. So 1930s with the wire clip that bends and softens the grip. Plus they are big.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post

Why did you install the Dzus in such plain sight and on the panels trailing edge?

Sorry, with all the quarter turn stuff I deal with, still not a Dzus fan after decades of being around them. So 1930s with the wire clip that bends and softens the grip. Plus they are big.
    What do you use and where would you put it?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

It's Retro. It pairs well with the other chrome bits and isn't as large as the pic makes it out to be. My thought on obscuring it under the front of the panel is that some ham-handed tech who has "always done it this way" literally ripping the smaller Camloc out of the plastic because it's not in plain sight. Just my take. Besides, that's the way Peter Aawen does it...
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals

Spyder Garage

Looks great h0gr1der!

I suspect that one of those 'ham-fisted techs' may well have been behind the little placcy hooks on my side panel being broken enough to make them useless, hence their removal; but I also aimed to align the Dzus placement with the top of the 'crease' in the panel, so it looks very much like it was always meant to be there - and to further that, the Dzus I used also match those used by BRP on the RS side panels, so they are effectively OE!

But I am a little intrigued by your 'wire clip' comment PMK?! There's no 'wire clip' on mine; the Dzus pin is solid, and the clip that pin positively locks into with just a 1/2 turn is simply a slightly different shaped 'captive nut' that's pressed out of a sheet of metal? Check out the top right corner of h0gr1der's pics, I believe they're the same as mine, where's the bendable wire?!

Soo, just for those interested and of course, for comparison & reference purposes here's my Dzus:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-06-2019 at 07:37 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Looks great H0gr1der!

Just for comparison & reference purposes here's my Dzus:
    That's what I based my installation on. Unlike your installation, I did not cut off the placcy (did I spell that right?) hook on the panel. I now have 5 points of attachment.
    h0gr1der

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Looks great h0gr1der!

I suspect that one of those 'ham-fisted techs' may well have been behind the little placcy hooks on my side panel being broken enough to make them useless, hence their removal; but I also aimed to align the Dzus placement with the top of the 'crease' in the panel, so it looks very much like it was always meant to be there - and to further that, the Dzus I used also match those used by BRP on the RS side panels, so they are effectively OE!

But I am a little intrigued by your 'wire clip' comment PMK?! There's no 'wire clip' on mine; the Dzus pin is solid, and the clip that pin positively locks into with just a 1/2 turn is simply a slightly different shaped 'captive nut' that's pressed out of a sheet of metal? Check out the top right corner of h0gr1der's pics, I believe they're the same as mine, where's the bendable wire?!

Soo, just for those interested and of course, for comparison & reference purposes here's my Dzus:
    Dzus studs have a couple of different style receptacles. Most common is the music wire type shaped like an “S”. Another style, utilizes a spring loaded cup setup, still using the wire. I was unaware your type used a spring clip style. Spring clip styles can soften also over time and have lower strength to failure. Not that there is any loads on what you have.

As for the ham fisted tech, yes, they can destroy a bowling ball with a feather.

Spyder Garage

Dzus studs have a couple of different style receptacles. Most common is the music wire type shaped like an “S”. Another style, utilizes a spring loaded cup setup, still using the wire. I was unaware your type used a spring clip style. Spring clip styles can soften also over time and have lower strength to failure. Not that there is any loads on what you have.

As for the ham fisted tech, yes, they can destroy a bowling ball with a feather.
    The Dzus I used are very similar to the M6 bolt receptacles, but had a 2 pin receptacle to receive the 14mm Panex D8 bolt. It is as simple to replace the receptacle as any of the M6 bolt clips, and I have 2 spares. This is something that shouldn't be overthought, the Dzus brand has been used in racing all my life and are a reliable brand. Here's the specs on the one I used; https://www.kurveygirl.com/shop/prod...roducts_id=191
    h0gr1der

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    The Dzus I used are very similar to the M6 bolt receptacles, but had a 2 pin receptacle to receive the 14mm Panex D8 bolt. It is as simple to replace the receptacle as any of the M6 bolt clips, and I have 2 spares. This is something that shouldn't be overthought, the Dzus brand has been used in racing all my life and are a reliable brand. Here's the specs on the one I used; https://www.kurveygirl.com/shop/prod...roducts_id=191
    Absolutely not overthinking it. On the shelf of aircraft hardware, I have boxes of DZUS studs and receptacles to select from, plus Camlocs, and Tridair, or even screws or bolts.

In aviation, we use all sorts of quick release fasteners. Having experience with many, and seeing the trends from old aircraft to newer aircraft, plus reliability from use, my decision making was less than a second.

Everything you mentioned about your install concerns works to fulfill your desires. I merely opted to fulfill the answer how I deemed best. Not saying better than yours though. My goals were a less noticeable location, securing the front edge of the panel to avoid airflow from peeling it back, a fit that retained the original flushness when the panel was installed, and a proven reliable fastener that is low cost and readily available. Regarding a ham fisted tech, that portion was not a consideration, as like my Rivco mirror installation, I make the techs aware of it, or more often remove / install the mirrors myself prior to warranty service. Unlatching a Camloc prior to service is a non issue.

Awesome to see you got it done.

Spyder Garage

I had not known you used a clip style receptacle until you posted the photo. This is one style, that may clarify what Peter asked about regarding resetting the wire tension. With use, the wires spring portion stays compressed, or the wires span takes a slight bend. Both conditions can allow either insufficient clamping of the two parts and / or lack of ability to get the fastener to stay locked into its detent.

The wire style though does have tremendous tensile strength in regards to simply pulling the panel off. Likely far more than the clip style. FWIW, I can not recall ever using clip style DZUS on an aircraft.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...s/springs2.php