Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Why so many low mileage bikes for sale.

I am looking at buying an RT or F3 and am wondering why there are so many bikes with low <5k miles.
    Is it because of issues with the bike or just not what someone expected or enjoys riding?
    Thanks,
    Barender

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Part of the reason could be the number of Spyder owners that trade up or switch models. I'm one of them.

Spyder Garage

Some people feel they're not a motorcycle and are sorry they bought one. Yes, they're not a trike and don't handle like one. Thank god!! That seems to be what I found in talking to a few owners and the dealer here...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-12-2024 at 07:15 AM.

Spyder Garage

I had a 2015 RTS. 20k in 2 1/2 years. Sold it. My 2018 F3L has 11k in 1 1/2 years. Some people ride a lot. Some not so much. It may be because lack of time to ride. Work a lot or have family things they have to do. I see a lot of low mileage bikes for sale. Not just Spyders.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-12-2024 at 07:15 AM.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

If I buy something I intend on using it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Doesn't matter if its a mc, vehicle, or a tool. I happened to buy a used 2015 Spyder RTL in 2017(was first sold in 2016) with only 224 miles!!!! Happy me !!!! They took all the depreciation OFF for me.
    The same dealership first sold this unit, and then resold it to me, so they had the story. Story is:::::: somebody with TOOOO MUCH MONEY, bought the spyder and a 300 HP jet ski. I guess they liked the jet ski better!!!!!
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

I think if you look at the demographics of the owners, there is a lot of grey hair in the crowd. Also, people with a bit of disability and also a fair number of women. All this may not slow down the desire to ryde, but possibly the ability to put in a lot of miles. Not a lot of youngsters in the touring crowd anymore. Just my thoughts.

Coke
    2015 RT-S , RED/BLACK

Spyder Garage

In my case in the first several months of ownership i thought i'd made a terrible mistake. The bike seemed to want to throw me off on bends or even heavy undulations in the road. The steering was too sensitive and twitchy, i either over or under steered, and i couldn't trust the bike at all.

Laser wheel alignments, balancing wheels, trying other bikes at the dealer, no difference!

It was the help and advice on this site that kept me going, the right things to do, how to handle the iosyntrhess of a spyder, there was at least a dozen bits of advice that solved [with time] the issues i had and i mean me, it wasn't the bike it was all me that needed to spend the time on her and learn. Now, i wouldn't go back and am perfectly happy with my F3 LTD.

Good look. AB

Spyder Garage

Sooo many people buy a bike (any kind) and it just sits in the garage collecting dust. Not me
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by guzzihack View Post
    I think if you look at the demographics of the owners, there is a lot of grey hair in the crowd. Also, people with a bit of disability and also a fair number of women. All this may not slow down the desire to ryde, but possibly the ability to put in a lot of miles. Not a lot of youngsters in the touring crowd anymore. Just my thoughts.

Coke
    My thoughts exactly. I bought my Spyder from a retired Marine col. who you could tell had been buying toys for his retirement. Well he got to ride it on one long trip and around town and was diagnosed with dementia. Couldn't ride log distance anymore and the needed money to pay for nursing home care when the time comes. He was younger then me. You just never know what is just around the corner. People get sick, they have financial reverses, life style changes, interest changes

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Many people buy them with high expectations of having a lot of great times riding, only to find they don't really care for it, or don't have the time, or other priorities keep them off the bike. After a few months or years of not riding they decide to cut their losses and get rid of it. Both of my RTs, 2013 & 2014, had just over 600 miles on them when I bought them. Motorcycle riding is one of those activities that you're either really into it, or not into it. Many find they're not into it only after buying one, and then riding it very little.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Many truths here, but to cut to the chase, some folks have just too much money and too little (to be polite) foresight. I've watched friends who have wasted so much money on great expectations that never ever really come to materialize. They embrace the ideals of the open road but can't overcome the adversities that most all of us know how to overcome. These folks would do better investing their time and money in a cruse ship vacation where everything is all laid out for them. Dam, I may have just talked myself into a cruse ship vacation. LOL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    ....... Dam, I may have just talked myself into a cruse ship vacation. LOL
    D'ya think?!

You just better hope that MY Missus doesn't read this thread, or I might hafta pay you a visit!

After our cruise ship vacation, of course....

2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Seen it happen time after time. Local veterans group post will organize a group........ won't mention any specific names here. Everybody thinks it would be cool to wear the vest and ride with the group. About 10 or 15 of them that have never rode before run out and buy bikes. Some of them never can learn to ride them or pass the test to get it on their license. Some of them crash trying to learn to ride and they break something that takes a long time to heal because they are old and retired. Some of the do learn to ride and get the license. First time they go off on a 150 mile run it pours rain and catches half of them with no rain gear. None of them will even listen to somebody that has been riding for decades. You can tell them to buy a small, inexpensive dirt bike to learn on and see if they like it. They go out and find a big, full dresser for a first bike. Tell them to get a good rain suit and always have it with them. They ride without one until they get drowned and then end up sick for a couple weeks. Soon all but a couple of the bikes they bought are for sale. The same pattern will repeat again about 5 years later. This time of the year is the time a lot of bikes are for sale in the northern hemisphere anyway.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Take advantage of the buyers remorse for whatever reason - that is what I did on my 2016 F3L. I am already thinking about getting a 2020 RTL next year in the fall under the same circumstances - hopefully it has been all farkled out.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Yep, I've bought quite a few low mileage bikes. Heck, my RTS had more mileage (around 30K) on it that many of the two-wheelers I've bought. Some people buy the thinks and just never get around to riding them. My brother got his '05 Gold Wing with 775 miles on it.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

I had the same feeling on being thrown off and the sensitivity of the steering made it seem to rock back and forth. Both did seem to get better the longer I rode it. Too many years on two wheels I guess. It will be a learning experience if I end up buying the RT I am looking at. Thanks for all of the input.
    Barender

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by al0vely View Post
    Take advantage of the buyers remorse for whatever reason - that is what I did on my 2016 F3L. I am already thinking about getting a 2020 RTL next year in the fall under the same circumstances - hopefully it has been all farkled out.
    That is my plan. I bought my 2014 RT and my 2016 F3T new, but only because it was such a good deal. But I will be looking on the used market when time comes to step back into the 2020, or even 2021 RT. I say, go ahead and buy your new bikes. I will be waiting to pick it up after about 4-5k miles. Just take good care of it and keep the maintenance up.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I once bought a beautiful Yamaha Royal Star Venture S that was 3 years old with only 489 miles on it. The original purchaser and his wife decided to tour the country by motorcycle, so they bought this Venture as their first motorcycle. The ride home scared them to death. They rode it enough to get the 1st service done, did a little more then put it in the garage and it never moved again until I bought it. It took them 4 years to get past the emotional involvement and let it go. I bought it for half what they bought it for.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by guzzihack View Post

Coke

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wmh9680 View Post
    Sooo many people buy a bike (any kind) and it just sits in the garage collecting dust. Not me
    I bought my 2014RTS-SE6 ( current) in 2014 brand new,& it has opened up "different avenues for me to meet new spyder owners, and go to spyder events, and it is wind therapy, in the summer, and be on the snowmobile in the winter( Snow Therapy).

I don't let the grass grow under my spyder,I ride.
    Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Barender View Post
    I am looking at buying an RT or F3 and am wondering why there are so many bikes with low <5k miles.
    Is it because of issues with the bike or just not what someone expected or enjoys riding?
    Thanks,
    Barender
    Glad to address your question. Many above have hit the nail on the head. The good news. These days it is not because of issues with the bikes. Overall, the product is good and breakdowns (they do happen) are few and far between.

We have an interesting demographic. Most have a bit more money to experiment with and buy new toys. And...the 's are expensive toys at that. Many, I fear, jumped in and found it was not their cup of tea. Others start at bottom or mid-line and eventually end up with the top of the line. The good side: this makes for a great used market with low mileage on many of the bikes.

I started with the base SM5/GS when they first came out in 08. Spouse got involved and we bought her a new 09 RS/SE5. Then the RT's came out. I had to have a 2010 Premier. In 12, I bought a new 2011 RT. Four model years in a row at first. Then I slowed down a bit. A new 2014 RT in 2014 and now I just bought a 19 F3L. I am thinking the last two will be keepers and I am now done. I did say that when I bought the 14 though. The 2011 is now being traded in on the F3.

My experience has been good. On the six Spyders owned, I have 152,000 assorted miles. No miles on the 19 yet. Still waiting for delivery. So far, none have had mechanical issues or breakdowns leaving me stranded on the highway. And between 2008 and this year...all of those Spyders were in AK. Now I have moved to an area where I can ride year around. And...my plans are to take advantage of the situation. I'm only 74, so have a while to enjoy the Spyders.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 12-06-2019 at 04:13 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When I was shopping for a 3 wheeler I looked at both Harley and the Spyder. That was in 2014 and there were many more secondhand Harleys on the market than Spyders. Maybe as many as 10 to 1. Two and three year old Harleys with less than 4k or 6k miles were for sale everywhere. A few with less than 1k miles. Most every one of them were owned by a widow and were being advertised 4sale by a friend or son or son-in-law of the widow. Sad, but what those poor o'l geezers paid for their last hurrah, could have been spent putting them in the ground in grand style, and would have left their spouse's without the stress of dumping that dam o'l expensive Harley.

Spyder Garage

Thats exactly how i feel,just bought a 2013 RT and its winter here in new england and i swear it has raind 95% of the time .Have lots of time on my wing but we change to the spyder,need road time to feel good about the ride i had all the the factors you had and now I have to correct them.thanks ,i see im not the only one out there.

Spyder Garage

Some people start riding and realize it will rain on them sometimes. I get asked all the time "What do you do when it rains?" I say, "I get wet", but that's what rain gear is for!
    2015 RT S , None Tried one, but took it off. Didn't like it Black and Silver

Spyder Garage

This may have been covered, so I apologize if I'm repeating others thoughts.

I think if you look at motorcycles in general, not just Spyders, you'll find a similar phenomenon.
    People buy motorcycles with the best of intentions, but then they get tired of riding in the heat, or the rain, or the cold.
    After maybe one or two seasons of riding, about 5,000 miles, people just tire of riding, so the bikes sit in the garage.
    Until the owner finally decides to unload the bike.
    They're called Garage Queens.

It's similar with all big ticket toys. You may have heard this about boats.
    There are two best days in a man's boating life:
    The day he buys his boat and.......
    The day he sells his boat.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey