Thread: New Guy

Spyder Garage

Default New Guy

Hello, I am ready to by a Spyder but I have no idea of what model/year to choose. So far here is what i know:
    1. I know that i will drive it daily.
    2. i know that on the weekends my wife will be on it with me.
    3. i definitely want a pre-owned one (have had too many bad exp. with new vehicles).

i am really excited to become a Spyder rider. i have ridden motorcycles for years. This seems like the next step.
    Any...and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, AV Carter

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Welcome to the forum Avcarter. You can find lots of good information here on the different Models of Spyders and Rykers in the different areas of the forum. Spyders are a little different then the two wheel bikes but just as much if not more fun to ride. You should look around the forum and if you get a chance see if you can find a place to try the different models out for your self. Good luck shopping!!
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Welcome!!

I made the transition in September of this year after years of riding a 2 wheeler. I was really eyeing the F3 but got such a great deal on a 2018 RT Limited that had about 600 miles on it that I had to go for it (dealer demo). You will get TONS of advice on here on what to do, and it's all good advice, but for sure:
    - sit on, demo ride as many spyders and models as you can swing;
    - winter is the best time to bike shop as far as price although it may limit riding (Georgia you'll be fine though);
    - take your time deciding and in getting used to your bike.... it is an adjustment. LEAN into curves to keep from feeling you'll go flying off, relax your grip on the bars, and it will all become comfortable within the first thousand miles or so!!

Ryde on, Sir!!

You can't get there from here....

Mods and Tweaks:
    Showcrome Trunk Rack
    Showcrome LED Trunk Light
    Garmin 390LM
    Spyderzone Floating Hiway Boards
    Spyderzone Mount Dash Bracket
    BajaRon Antisway Bar
    Showcrome full-size brake pedal
    Spyder-2-Go Driver Cup holder
    Ram X phone mount
    SpyderExtras 12 volt Docking Station
    BRP Driver Backrest
    Monster 4K Action Camera
    Spyderzone LED Fender Mount Spotlights
    CASA LED Headlights and Foglights
    2018 RT Limited , Ashphalt Metallic

Spyder Garage

You will receive many suggestions on this one.

My point of view: Test drive at least two models. Based on what you stated about two up, I would recommend either the RT or F3 T, or F3 L. Many say that the RT is the more plush ride of the two.

You also have a choice of engines. 998's have the two cylinder and 1330's have the three cylinder. The 1330 came out in 2014. The 998 has been around since 2008 and is now discontinued. The 1330 has less maintenance and gets better gas mileage.

Either one is good. 998's will be less because they are discontinued.

I do recommend having a dealer run the VIN on any one you are planning on purchasing. That will give you the complete maintenance history. A little due diligence will go a long way. There are good and bad machines out there. Happily, very few bad...but they do exist.

Let us know what you buy, or come back and ask advice on your decision.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Part of your answer may come from what you have to spend.

Spyder Garage

Welcome to Paradise.
    If you want luggage space for trips or errands the RT has plenty and/or you can ad a trailer hitch for a trailer or rack to put on the hitch (I have a hitch with a rack when I need it). Stick or semi automatic (paddle shifter), Sticks are fun but get old in stop and go traffic. I think the stick is or will be discontinued. Both the F3 and RT come in a sportier package with the F3 being the sportiest and sits a little lower and legs might be more comfortable (a matter of taste). My wife doesn't like the F3 cause the engine shows where on the RT is is covered in tupperware (plastic). All can have luggage, just diff with different models.I love my RT LTD but I also love the new F3. Find a dealer that will let you ride one or rent one for a day. I bought a 2014 one year old with only 7,000 mile and a 7 year extended warranty. I now have about 20,000 miles. Be ready to add things (we call them Farkles). This is the place to be. Enjoy, Mike
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

For the wife's comfort, a model with LIMITED in the name offers more comfort and features.
    If you can afford a 2015 on up, you'll get the better and more powerful 3 cylinder, 1330cc engine.
    Good luck and keep us posted.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Thanks for your replies. i will begin the search in earnest and come back with pics for sure.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder

Welcome....Do a test ryde on the RT and the F3.
    See which one is best for you.
    My Wife loved the RTL, SO that's what we purchased.
    Good Luck on your Mission....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Like it's already been said, look around and see if you can rent or take a good long test drive on both of the F3L and RTL models, that way you will get a good feel to see if it's a good fit for you!!! That was one thing I wish I had done before I bought mine, they would not let me out of the door yard with the darn thing! Make sure that the bike you have is set up well for you wife, arm rests that wrap around is a nice comfort for her and will make her feel safer! The Limited models have a little more bling and comfort and some of the extras that you will probably want in the long run, but if moneys a issue you can go with the base model and farkel the heck out of it after. And for me if I was to do it over again I would go with the 1330 over the 998, both are great motors, but the 1330 has a little more go than the 998, and uses a little less oil between oil changes! Good Luck in your shopping, and if you have any questions feel free to throw it up on the site, we all have a opinion on just about everything!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

me and wife both have f3t love hers is 2018 mind 2019
    2019 f3t , titanium

Spyder Garage

I knew I wanted to do touring only and wanted all the options so that meant an RTL.Test rode one at dealership,loved it then picked a color and found a dealer who had one and would take my GW as trade.Found on internet and had to drive 250 miles to pick up,but was well worth it.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AVCARTER View Post
    Hello, I am ready to by a Spyder but I have no idea of what model/year to choose. So far here is what i know:
    3. i definitely want a pre-owned one (have had too many bad exp. with new vehicles).

i am really excited to become a Spyder rider. i have ridden motorcycles for years. This seems like the next step.

Thanks, AV Carter

Like everyone has said, Take a test drive on the RT or the F3.
    Look at the For Sale by Owner on the site.

Look for a 2014 spyder and up.
    Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Thanks for your replies. i will begin the search in earnest and come back with pics for sure.
    No Spyders are available in Earnest, try other cities.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Hey AV, you are going to get a lot of various responses.. do a test ride WITH your spouse on the back saddle and see what her reaction is to the various models. I would suggest get something 2014 and newer with the 1330 engine. I'll leave the rest of the suggestions to others...
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

I think you'll like the RT. And more importantly, I think your wife will like it.
    There are an abundance of low mile pre-loved units out there. My 2012 only had 16k on it when I moved to a 2019. I can say it was trouble free, only needing tires, brakes and oil changes over the 7 years I owned it. From what I read the 12 was a good year, and maybe you want to avoid a 13.
    You may get lucky and find a current year like I just did. 1700 miles from the first owner, he did not get along with the unit, and I came out good with him taking a hit on depreciation.
    You need to test one. Or several.

Spyder Garage

Thanks, AV Carter
    What were some of your previous motorcycles? While storage, and creature comforts differ from the different Spyders, so do ergonomics. The RT riding position is much different than the F3. The RT is more GoldWing style seating while the F3 is more stretched out Cruiser style seating. Lots of good info offered so far.
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

I bought my first bike, which was a 2016 F3-T. I did not even test drive an RT because I thought the style for me was all wrong. I wanted a sportier bike and the F3 was perfect. Plus, I think they tend to be cheaper than the RT.

All I can say is I am thrilled with my bike and since I never test drove an RT, even if it was more comfortable, I have no idea. Long live my F3!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As said earlier, get a 2014 or newer for the three cylinder engine.....much better than the two cylinder. Enjoy.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by acdcking12 View Post
    I bought my first bike, which was a 2016 F3-T. I did not even test drive an RT because I thought the style for me was all wrong. I wanted a sportier bike and the F3 was perfect. Plus, I think they tend to be cheaper than the RT.

All I can say is I am thrilled with my bike and since I never test drove an RT, even if it was more comfortable, I have no idea. Long live my F3!
    I have been an RT holdout since 2010. I test sat a F3 in 2014 but bought a RT instead. I finally purchased a new 2019 F3. What a difference. Now I have an RT and an F3 in the stable.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

You should get a lot of responses to your questions. I would suggest get the 1330 engine (model year 2014 and later) AND based on your proposed usage, take a good look at the RT Limited and ride on...
    BIG F