Spyder Garage

Default Changing License Plate Bulb - help needed

I don't do much of my own work, but I figured that changing a light bulb ought to be easy. My license plate bulb on my 2014RT was easy to get to, but in trying to put it all back together, I realized that I needed to be able to access the interior to hold the piece in place that the light assembly attaches to. After removing the back panel without getting to where I needed to be, I thought better of continuing blindly and am asking for instructions and help. Thank you in advance.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

Page 155 of your operator's guide.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

That much I figured out (page 155). The problem is that the piece that you fasten the screws into (not pictured or acknowledged) isn't attached to anything and there is no way to keep it in place so that the screws can be reattached. It needs to held as the bulb assembly is put back in place, but there is no access to do so. "Reinstall the lens" is the "how to" issue.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).

Spyder Garage

If I understand you correctly there is a part on the back side of the rear fender that is loose and/or floating around such that it is not properly positioned so that you can insert the screws that hold the license plate light lens and in turn the whole light assembly in position. If so, I think I have identified the culprit but your description makes me a bit uncertain about testing it on my light which is working fine. If you go to this link, https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/shop/...ts-iframe.html, drill down to the 2014 RTS SE6 (or SM6 if you prefer) and select Picture 09 Luggages 36Y1402a you will see, among other parts, the rear fender. If you look immediately above the top edge of the fender you will see a rectangular plate, Item Number 93, PN 708300177, that appears to have two female threaded sleeves into which the license plate lens screws are to be threaded. If I am correct, the problem then becomes how to affix the plate to the fender so you can reinsert the the license plate light assembly and screw it in place. You should be able to confirm my theory with a little finger probing and you might also find that you can actually get the plate down through the hole in the fender where you can thoroughly clean it with some alcohol and apply a little double sticky sides tape on the bracket. It isn't going to fall out because the light wire goes through the rectangular hole in the plate. Then, after cleaning the inside of the fender with alcohol you can insert the plate into its proper position, reinstall the light assembly and screw it in place. Yes, you will spend some time lying on you back looking up into a pretty small hole (wear safety glasses to keep dirt out of your running lights) and you may even invent some new cuss words, but it might be easier than having to remove the rear panel.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Yes, thank you. That is the part and the issue - and I can see how a bit of tape might work to hold it. I can even see leaving the tape on the part and trimming it once I've gotten the screws to attach.

I can see you put some into this on my behalf; please know it is appreciated, JayBros!
    Last edited by MRH; 12-16-2019 at 07:35 PM. Reason: typo

Spyder Garage

If what I explained does in fact work you will pay it forward to others who may experience the same problem by explaining hereon how you solved it. Good luck!
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I got the job done. It actually ended up being harder to simply insert the bulb between the metal poles than to put it all back together. I was able to simply tape the plate in place, and then screw it in on my first try. I used clear packing tape to give me good coverage. Once I had both screws partially into the plate on the inside of he fender, I ran a knife along the tape to where it was visible on the outside of the rear fender, and finished screwing in the two screws. There is still tape on the inside, but I can't see that it will cause any harm.

In retrospect, the answer seemed all too obvious, as is often the case.

Thank you, JayBros, for your help.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MRH View Post
    I got the job done. It actually ended up being harder to simply insert the bulb between the metal poles than to put it all back together. I was able to simply tape the plate in place, and then screw it in on my first try. I used clear packing tape to give me good coverage. Once I had both screws partially into the plate on the inside of he fender, I ran a knife along the tape to where it was visible on the outside of the rear fender, and finished screwing in the two screws. There is still tape on the inside, but I can't see that it will cause any harm.

In retrospect, the answer seemed all too obvious, as is often the case.

Thank you, JayBros, for your help.
    now wanna do it over again & make a “how to” vid help others out

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock