Spyder Garage

Default This Drone Rocks!

Some highlights from this weekends two 20 minute flights with the Skydio 2 + Controller. No color-correction, stabilization, speed ramping, or reversing of any kind on the clips in this video.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

What are the chances of a DJI drone doing this?
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Can't deny that was some pretty awesome stuff....
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

I don't know much about drones, but the video looks like it is as much about the skill of the operator as it is the drone. An unskilled operator would still crash into a tree, no matter how good the drone is.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

If they can ever get it to market the Skydio 2 will be a game changer in the Prosumer drone market.
    While DJI has some very capable small drones their sensor tech can't compete at this time with the 360 degree sensor avoidance capability of the Skydio 2.

IF THEY CAN BRING IT TO MARKET.

BTW, at the end of the vid when it was flying backwards, that was using the RTH (return to home) function, the operator was not in control at that time, it was all the drone.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    I don't know much about drones, but the video looks like it is as much about the skill of the operator as it is the drone. An unskilled operator would still crash into a tree, no matter how good the drone is.
    Actually this drone can do all the obstical avoidance all by itself. just send it threw the trees and it will do the rest. I have seen many videos where the drone autonomously follows a bike rider threw thick forest and many obsticals. The DJI Mavic 2 pro gets stuck at the beginning. the Skydio is much smarter and has 6 cameras that see in depth every twig and figures out how to get around and threw it all by itself just following the rider. It is made on the USA as well and is already out. the supply just can't keep up with the demand for now.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

There are many Skydio 2 test videos on Youtube and other video forums, Vimeo etc, where it definitely proves it's NOT the operator, one guys rides his bicycle through VERY dense woods and it autonomously tracks him in frame and avoids many obstacles(though it does get confused and blocked where he has to help it clear the obstacle). That's the point of Skydio type drones.
    Consumer drones now come in many different formats than their original versions. Pocket drones, selfie drones, racing drones, Sports drones and more
    Skydio is one of the first real Sports camera drones meant to track very active subjects in extreme environments.
    There are several Spyder riders who have used their drones (Like DJI models) to fairly automatically film them riding their spyder through some beautiful landscapes.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    What are the chances of a DJI drone doing this?
    Some of the DJI models have some of the Skydio's features, (obstacle avoidance, tracking etc) just not the same combination the Skydio2 has.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post

Some highlights from this weekends two 20 minute flights with the Skydio 2 + Controller. No color-correction, stabilization, speed ramping, or reversing of any kind on the clips in this video.
    I would love to have the skill to do this with my DJI - note skill - just need another four letter word - t.i.m.e. awesome footage.
    2017 RTL , White

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

looks like great tech built into the drone but much like my 2013 rts, i'm still very happy with my mavic pro