Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Dealer brake fluid change

So I was thinking I need to get my brake fluid changed and asked the dealer how much. He quoted me $300. Can that be right? How much time does it take? I know there ain't much fluid in there. Any thoughts?
    Now
    2021 Sea2Sky
    Former
    2015 F3-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That comes to around $5 a minute shop rate. I think I'd find another shop if I were you. It doesn't have to be a BRP shop just to flush and change fluid. Check out Youtube. BK 911 had a post here earlier regarding the subject and how he did it. PM him, he'll tell you how to DIY.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Brake Fluid

I would ask your local dealer for information about what they do as a 'Brake Fluid Change '. My Spyder dealer said it was a two person job and takes about 1.25 hours. The cost would be about $230.00. So $300 seems a little high.....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

A vacuum brake bleeder will pull the fresh fluid through the system and bleed the brakes at the calipers.......... $20 for a cheap one or maybe $50 for a really nice one.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

The reason that it is required to have a dealer do it is due to the ABS module requiring the BUDS software in order to open it so new fluid can be flushed through it.
    That being said I still do it myself using a vaccum bleeder. I beleave that the small amount in the ABS module will not be an issue as it will be diluted in operation. Find a safe place to slam on your brakes when the road surface is wet activating the ABS.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

in Oct 2018 my dealership charged $92.70 for the job using B.U.D.S. to trigger the ABS so that the system can be completely flushed.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    The reason that it is required to have a dealer do it is due to the ABS module requiring the BUDS software in order to open it so new fluid can be flushed through it.
    That being said I still do it myself using a vaccum bleeder. I beleave that the small amount in the ABS module will not be an issue as it will be diluted in operation. Find a safe place to slam on your brakes when the road surface is wet activating the ABS.
    FWIW, if the manual is followed, essentially the system is flushed without BUDS. A second flush, finishes the task, by utilizing BUDS for opening the ABS module circuits, which bleed off into the calipers.

I have done our Spyder a couple times now, never using BUDS nor slamming on brakes. Both times I did the task, not on account of brake failures or triggered codes, simply the pedal was a bit softer than when fresh AND the recommended calendar interval had been met.

The first time I accomplished the task, the fluid that was flushed out of the system was pretty much black. This last time, the fluid removed during the flush was just a bit darker amber color than when put into service.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    in Oct 2018 my dealership charged $92.70 for the job using B.U.D.S. trigger the ABS so that the system can be completely flushed.

Not sure what you paid in regards to shop rate, but that is a very reasonable and fair price. Guessing they charged about 30 minutes shop rate and the rest was supplies, tax, and hazardous fees.

Spyder Garage

Last year my dealer charged $90 for a brake fluid flush and fill. I think any dealer that would charge over $100 would be outrageous!!
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

I've done it without BUDS and without a vacuum setup. Just a straight, standard bleed. Worked great and no issues. Not that I am against the vacuum system approach. Just that I did not use it.

I agree with PW2013STL. The residual fluid left in the system is insignificant. If you do the flush every 2 years as recommended (which is way overkill in my opinion). You should never have an issue. If you want a 100% complete job. Do it again after riding a few times.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

To make my DIY flush stupid easy, I have Speed Bleeders on each caliper. The first time I used them was on an ex motorcycle that I could never get firm levers after a bleed. With Speed Bleeders, I got rock hard levers. From then on, I put them on every vehicle I own. At $7 each, they are a bargain.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Brake Fluid

For those who 'DIY'.
    How much time did it take?
    How much Brake Fluid is needed? Thanks.....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    To make my DIY flush stupid easy, I have Speed Bleeders on each caliper. The first time I used them was on an ex motorcycle that I could never get firm levers after a bleed. With Speed Bleeders, I got rock hard levers. From then on, I put them on every vehicle I own. At $7 each, they are a bargain.
    I am going to look into them! Where do you buy them?
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    For those who 'DIY'.
    The small bottle of Dot 4 is all you need. My last bottle came from Walmart.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    For those who 'DIY'.
    Myself, I will vacuum out the reservoirs of all old fluid, then refill rezzys. Using the vacuum bleeder, I accomplish flushing through each of the 4 brake bleeders until it is apparent the new fluid has purged through. I then repeat a second short duration flush on each of the 4 bleeders. Final step requires two people. Accomplish pump and release several times on each bleeder to ensure not air remains in the system.

I use between 1/2 and 1 litre of high quality fluid.

From experience on other motorcycles, I do not recommend Motul RBF600 fluid unless you religiously flush the system often.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Would you know the size or part number that fits the Spyder?

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Not sure what you paid in regards to shop rate, but that is a very reasonable and fair price. Guessing they charged about 30 minutes shop rate and the rest was supplies, tax, and hazardous fees.
    It was 0.8 Hr labor, at $89.00/hr, $19.98 for 2 units of brake fluid and the rest the usual, shop supplies, environmental waste and sales tax.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Would you know the size or part number that fits the Spyder?
    They should be all the same size. Be sure and keep a rag handy dampened with lacquer thinner when you do the change over. Lacquer thinner is the only thing that will cut brake fluid. Lacquer thinner also evaporates at the speed of light, so be prepared for the accidental spill because brake fluid can almost eat through or ruin anything it's not supposed to touch.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    They should be all the same size. Be sure and keep a rag handy dampened with lacquer thinner when you do the change over. Lacquer thinner is the only thing that will cut brake fluid. Lacquer thinner also evaporates at the speed of light, so be prepared for the accidental spill because brake fluid can almost eat through or ruin anything it's not supposed to touch.
    It appears they are not all the same. There are several different thread sizes. This is from the vendor web sites. Thus the question what size or part number.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I found the part numbers by going to speedbleeder.com and telling them the make, model and year. When I do a change, my experience is that very little brake fluid escapes. But I do hold a dry rag to the area, in case.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

speedbleeder.com said that SB8125L is their part number for speed bleeders on the front and rear caliper, and SB1010S is the number for the speed bleeder on the ABS unit, if you bleed that one. They are all $7.00 each.

Spyder Garage

I do believe that's what I got for my bike. Not a bad price for the work they save and the good bleeds you get.

Spyder Garage

Great info. I really appreciate your help! I've been trying to do as many routine maintenance items myself. More knowledge shared.. This is what I love about this site.
    Now
    2021 Sea2Sky
    Former
    2015 F3-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I use an HF vacuum pump. I'm in agreement with BajaRon. I've changed my pads a couple of times using his pads. Each time I sucked out some fluid at the caliper end as well as the reservoir end and it's all been clear and clean. I don't think it needs changing as often as BRP says unless it is dark colored, has bubbles or water contamination. It would have to be a very long and fast twisty steep down run 2up towing a loaded trailer to get the fluid to boil, if even that would do it.

Spyder Garage

Here is the information I received from Speed Bleeder Products. They have been very responsive and informative as to application. They also offer a stainless steel version, which is quite interesting.

Let me know if it is too small for you to read and I will send you the file.

SpeedBleeders.jpg
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...