Spyder Garage

Default Eco mode is painful

Since I've had the RTS for about 6-7 months, I decided to give Eco mode a decent try. Admittedly, I only ran one tank in Eco, but it's painful.

Literally.

Not just the pain of the lower throttle response, and/or the annoying "shift" arrow that seems like it's almost bogging the engine. No, I'm talking about the pain in my wrist from having to crank the throttle so far around on the highway. I find my arm cramping and having to hold the throttle and move my and around at the same time to get a more comfortable angle.

And for all that, MPG didn't seem any different.

Filled up this morning, turned Eco off, and almost gave myself whiplash taking off.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you don't like it and it hurts, it don't use it.

Spyder Garage

I tried it for several weeks, maybe 1,000 miles or more. Didn't seem to get any better fuel mileage and it ran sluggish. I put it back in regular mode and never tried it again. I put it in sport mode now and then, but don't use that very much either. Really not that much difference unless you are pushing it to the limit all the time.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wahrsuul View Post
    Since I've had the RTS for about 6-7 months, I decided to give Eco mode a decent try. Admittedly, I only ran one tank in Eco, but it's painful.

Literally.

Not just the pain of the lower throttle response, and/or the annoying "shift" arrow that seems like it's almost bogging the engine. No, I'm talking about the pain in my wrist from having to crank the throttle so far around on the highway. I find my arm cramping and having to hold the throttle and move my and around at the same time to get a more comfortable angle.

And for all that, MPG didn't seem any different.

Filled up this morning, turned Eco off, and almost gave myself whiplash taking off.
    .... I also didn't like the amount of effort the throttle had …. I removed the Spring ( # 709401937 ) from the right hand grip assembly …… this reduced the effort by 1/2, and still allowed the throttle to close on it's own when released. ….. it was an easy fix …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    I tried it for several weeks, maybe 1,000 miles or more. Didn't seem to get any better fuel mileage and it ran sluggish. I put it back in regular mode and never tried it again. I put it in sport mode now and then, but don't use that very much either. Really not that much difference unless you are pushing it to the limit all the time.
    Frankly, I think these settings are more for marketing than for any actual benefit provided. It's a simple computer algorithm. So cost to BRP isn't really anything. This happens a lot. For example, there is a Sway Bar Kit manufactured in Australia. It is adjustable and has 3 different stiffness settings. I get asked about this as to why my sway bar kit does not have this feature. The truth is. No one uses the lighter settings. Everyone ends up on the stiffest setting anyway. So why go to the additional cost to provide a feature that no one uses? But the idea does appeal to many initially. And so does 'ECO' & 'Sport' modes on the Spyder.

It would be interesting to find out how many use the ECO or Sport modes regularly.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Eco mode never impressed me. I do not use it.

Spyder Garage

Have to agree with all of the above. You figured out all of the reasons most do not like it.

I gave my 2014 RT one full tank of gas worth. Did not like having to look for the green arrow on upshifts. For the one mpg or so that I got in increased mileage...who cares?

My new F3 will also have it. I am not going to even try it. I will however give the Sport mode a bit of a try.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I use eco mode when pulling a trailer in the rain. I've had the back tire break loose once and hope to avoid further instances. It may not have helped in the one instance as I was heading up a steep incline in a heavy downpour but I figure a reduced throttle response in the rain can't hurt. Besides, I'm never in a hurry when on a road trip.

As for the Green light, it's only a suggestion for best mpg. My car does it too. Getting upset with it makes about as much sense as arguing with your gps about your preferred route.
    2018 F3 Limited , Black on black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I run ECO about 95% of the time. I think BRP put ECO on there to make their (worthless) OEM rear tire last longer. Fuel savings is hard to calculate because it's so minimal. I use it mostly because I ride conservatively 95% if the time. Reason being, I believe I may be getting nearer to the end of my forgiveness for all the idiotic chances I've gotten away with over the years. Anyhow, that's my excuse for running ECO. I also shift gears by feel and sound and not by a green arrow. Taking your attention off the road in front of you to determine your best shift point is ill advised. Danger arrives in milliseconds.

Spyder Garage

I use ECO mode on the freeways when traveling, that's about it...

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Eco mode

.....I don't use it......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

I don't have sport mode on mine -unless I haven't looked hard enough.

I was just reporting my take on Eco mode. Hadn't planned on using it again. And it wasn't the spring pressure that was causing the wrist pain, it was the angle I had to be at to get up to highway speed. Once I held the throttle and moved my hand around it was better. Honestly I felt the throttle was pretty light compared to some of my other bikes.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

We use ECO only on long distance rydes on the interstate with cruise control (no twisting). It does make a difference on that type of trip when you want your fuel trips to be minimized. Example, and Iron Butt where fuel stops just cost you too much time. Other than that, and some cross country trips, we just don't use it much. But it does improve fuel mileage.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

ECO mode on the Ryker blows for sure.

I run Sport mode all the time unless I'm on a dirt road. Then I go Rally mode.

I wish you could set the Ryker so it didn't automatically revert back to ECO mode every time you shut it off.

Spyder Garage

Sport Mode? I turned off ECO after my first tank of gas. But Are there three modes, ECO, Normal or Sport?
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Revalden View Post
    Sport Mode? I turned off ECO after my first tank of gas. But Are there three modes, ECO, Normal or Sport?
    They are on the 2019 F3 L. That's where I got my information (via the owners manual). Had to read about it while I was waiting.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Revalden View Post
    Please they were talking about Sport, Eco, and Normal on a RYKER!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

+1 don't like it, don't use it
    2018 F3 Limited black, dark

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    Please they were talking about Sport, Eco, and Normal on a RYKER!
    I dunno 'bout that; Rob Rodriguez's post was the first clear reference to a Ryker

AFAICanSee, all the rest of the thread posts are discussing the use of ECO mode on RTs & F3s in general, and more specifically, ECO mode on Wahrsuul's RTS!

But I hafta agree, ECO mode doesn't really seem to be of any real benefit to me (when I'm ryding a 2014 on, anyway ) or pretty much any other ryders I know (unless maybe we're covering lazy miles on almost empty Highways, but I believe for me'n most, ECO is definitely not an option even there if you add jn lotsa other traffic to contend with! ) Basically all of what ECO mode does is achievable by judicious control of your right wrist, so I'da thought that BRP would've been much smarter to add program selections for 'Highway' &/or maybe even something like Tesla's 'ludicrous mode' or similar; modes siimilar to those that many other 'programmable' Motorcycles/Sport/Recreational machines already have!

I really think that BRP despite their claim to be 'listening to their customers', they are STILL misreading the 'wants & desires' of a significant percentage of their customers in this area, just like they have by persisting with those bloody crappy Kenda excuses for tires!! Most Buyers don't really WANT or even need an ECO mode, but they'd really appreciate a mode to let them inject a little more 'excitement' into their ryde at appropriate times & places, preferably something with a more relaxed nanny too.... AND with some better tire choices!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-05-2019 at 10:01 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Tried ECO mode it was annoying riding alone and just plain dangerous riding two up with a weeks worth of gear. Installed your sway bar and wondered why BRP doesn’t deliver the F3 with them. Great product, thank you.
    2018 F3 Limied , White